mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Bike Rental options in Oahu

Hi Guys

We just bought tickets for a trip to Oahu march third through the eighth. Don't know where we are stating yet or anything but I want to figure out the MTB possibilities. I saw that THE Bike Shop has $85 per day rentals. Are there any other choices? I ride a Turner Burner and a Chameleon singlespeed but I don't need anything fancy for a rental bike and prefer to pay less. Let me know of other places I could try!

Also if anyone is available to ride one of those days let me know! I'm looking for XC riding the best Oahu ha to offer. I live in Norcal now but originally from Oregon.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Yosuke

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    You might want to give Raging Isle on the North Shore a call---although a few years ago he downsized the bike ept, who knows? he may have a K2 Attack or something similar around. If I recall right though even 5 years ago when Zon came and visited the rental was like 65 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by yakswak
    Hi Guys

We just bought tickets for a trip to Oahu march third through the eighth. Don't know where we are stating yet or anything but I want to figure out the MTB possibilities. I saw that THE Bike Shop has $85 per day rentals. Are there any other choices? I ride a Turner Burner and a Chameleon singlespeed but I don't need anything fancy for a rental bike and prefer to pay less. Let me know of other places I could try!

Also if anyone is available to ride one of those days let me know! I'm looking for XC riding the best Oahu ha to offer. I live in Norcal now but originally from Oregon.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Yosuke

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Raging isle doesn't rent anymore per their website. Also, I used to work at the bike shop many years ago when I was in college, they rent their "used" sale bikes. But these days, they also have some in town bikes to rent.

I asked the same question a while ago, and was told to check out BOCA Hawaii.

Also, you should talk to Pineapple Bob, He rides with Francois. If you are in Norcal like me, you prob. rode with pineapple bob before when he visit norcal from hawaii before. PM him and he can point you to the right direction.

The trails in Hawaii are alot more technical (rooty and wet) than norcal. To have a good time as a tourist, try Kualoa Ranch (east shore) or Kaena point on North shore, or some of the north shore stuffs that are more fireroad and dry singletrack. Avoid places like Aiea Loop or the St Louis Height trails near University of Hawaii (even though is close to Waikiki). They are the more rooty and technical trails.

Also, if you find the locals, go check out Mililani. Kind of like a XC version of UCSC in terms of its forbiddenness, but good fun place.
    Last edited by Loll; 02-19-2009 at 09:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Forget Raging Isle on the North Shore

They dropped bikes completely, I was in their shop earlier this week. A few years back they had a decent shop, bummer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Raging Isle has been out of the bike business for a while!!!!!! Maybe it should posted in the frequently asked question section.

BOCA Hawaii rents hardtails.

THE BIKE SHOP just started renting brand new full suspension bikes.

http://www.bikeshophawaii.com/rentals.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    The trails in Hawaii are alot more technical (rooty and wet) than norcal. To have a good time as a tourist, try Kualoa Ranch (east shore) or Kaena point on North shore, or some of the north shore stuffs that are more fireroad and dry singletrack. Avoid places like Aiea Loop or the St Louis Height trails near University of Hawaii (even though is close to Waikiki). They are the more rooty and technical trails.

Also, if you find the locals, go check out Mililani. Kind of like a XC version of UCSC in terms of its forbiddenness, but good fun place.
    To each his own. You have to pay to ride Kualoa and dodging cow poo on ranch land is not my idea of fun.

Aiea Loop and St. Louis are my favorite places to ride. God invented full suspension to rides places like these. A World Cup downhill race was held at St. Louis so that tells you the quality of the trails. The good news is you can still ride a XC full suspension bike at St. Louis. You just can't ride at planing speed like you could on a DH rig.

I agree you should hoop up with the locals because the best trails are poached and not on any maps.

Heres some single track video on poached land. Ignore the freeride stuff if you're not into that:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/30177/

Post at www.dhhawaii.com if you want to do more technical riding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Opinion well taken,

Is just here in Norcal where we ride, the terrain is alot different. Is alot more ridable at higher speed going uphill direction. I remember back in the days when I used to ride Aiea loop alot, every once in a while I will run into tourist thats there for a day, and most of them find it little more challenging.

For the OP, imagine in Norcal, Skeggs's Manzanita Trail. Remember the rock garden section that everyone tries to clean going uphill direction? Expect that at Aiea Loop with roots, especially the beginning part. St. Louis, as the comment above mentioned, is ridable uphill, but is not the most fun. If you want to do it, avoid it on wknds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey Loll,
    I think I know what you're talking about...going up Manzanita is easier than going down Manzanita, though, as that short up hill section that you hit when going down Manzanita is a lot more difficult than going up all the way from Cross Cut.

But now plans have changed. Wife wants to come along too, and even though she has a hand me down MTB from my brother she doesn't go too often...so I'm kind of happy she is showing interest. Now, where are those smoother trails again? She is mortified by gravel...so that's a big no-no (last time we went she had to get several stitches due to wipeout on gravel down hill section).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    OK, you might like this one. Kaena point is a little bit bumpy on a lower end bike, but is 5 miles next to the coast and is completely flat. Is at the tip of the island on north shore. Kind of like Railroad grade at Marin's Tamapalis, but this thing is absolutely flat, or similar to the coastal trails at wilder ranch, but little bit rockier.Is very pretty as you can see the waves hit the coastal rocks below. Fireroad for 99% of the way and is a ride I take my first time/ beginner friends to.

Second "smoother" trail for wifey I can think of is in Mililani. But this place is a maze, so better get some locals to take you. UCSC~ish riding but XC version.

Again, PM pineapple Bob, he rides with Francis of mtbr alot. Or try to contact John Mathias at Hawaii Bicycling League. They are the biggest local cycling club there.

There are alot more places I can think of, but is a bit more hidden and hard to describe to you without getting you lost. Definitely Kaena Point though. Good stuffs.

If I remember correctly, check out a place call Royal submit behind the hills of Aiea. Smoother, but a bit more uphill and it is a out and back. Kind of like riding up Gordon Mill/Purisma Creek and then back down.

There are some more stuffs on the windward side by Kaneohe call Manawilli Ditch trails. (Not the actual 14 miles Manawilli trail though). Again, easier to get lost, so better go with local. This one is also another listed beginner ride. Very very smooth trails, and wide too. Smoothest can be compared to Wittermore Gulch.
    Last edited by Loll; 02-26-2009 at 08:25 AM.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    X2 Waimea with the wife. My wife loved it, we got all the way around to 3rd ditch, though we did
    have to carry our bikes across a homemade "bridge". If you do it with a north or west swell, you
    won't be able to go as far, but if you do it before summer, there's a lot of Albatross chicks that
    haven't fledged yet.

I'd say park at the park and ride down the road, it may be a bit "safer" for your rental than parking
    at the end of the road...

mtbr member

Thanks for the props LOLL

Yosuke

I'll be in town from the Mar 1-4 so we could definitely set something up on the 3rd or 4th. What size bike do you need? Save your bucks and pm with some info. Got some fun stuff all over the island to ride.

P-bob

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ...good job perpetuating the "aloha-spirit"!

As an additional "two-cents" - Mililani is not what it used to be but there's still some great riding there. Please consult a "local" if you're entertaining the thought of riding at this spot or you'll likely have a miserable time in the California-grass and will probably end up lost.

mtbr member
    Stayin on waikiki now thru saturday morning with gf . I'm a 34 yr old bmx / dj hardtail rider off chance local rider has any suggestions about spots, rent borrow bike etc ? I'm from Austin and if u ever come there I'll give u a tour etc !

mtbr member
    Dang...wish I knew about all this before I got to Turtle bay. We were in Waikiki for a week. Doing some scuba and sky diving but I figured I couldnt ride till the next trip out to Hawaii when I hit up Maui.