Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Big Island Trails

85K views 672 replies 30 participants last post by  Specialutz 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to the mountain biking scene. I've been riding in just random places that I can find. I wouldn't mind trying out some of the more defined/popular trails. I've heard of Kulani (sounds difficult for my skill level), University Hilo Trail (where do I start/enter?), and Kalopa. Are there any other good ones out there? How's the Tree Planters road?

Today I went for another random trail hunt. I found myself above Akolea Rd passing a couple of water tanks. It mostly was gravel stuff, then all of sudden it became a paved/defined road that just kept on going uphill..a semi-steep uphill. According to my gps I was around 1400 ft in elevation. Seems like if I kept going up I would have found myself to the right of Kaumana City. My legs were burning at this point so I decided to turn around. Let me just say that the downhill ride was fast and sketchy at times. But I had fun and found myself screaming, "WOO HOO!":D

#501 ·
Thanks for the offer gmats. As much as I would like to, I will take a pass on this one. I'm still taking this time to brush up on my running. I know that once I get my bike back I will totally forget about running again. lol.

#513 ·
Aloha Renn,

I don't know of any riding down in the Captain Cook/Hoanaunau area. I'm sure there are trails, I just don't seem to make it down there to scope out trails. Best bet is to drop in on the guys down at Bikeworks Kona. They're super cool. I ride with them from time to time when they're up here in Waimea or or I'm down there with them.

I sometimes ride a bit north of you up in Kaloko. Some great, technical steep up and down single track stuff.

Good luck with that.

#519 ·
Well, we've reserved a couple HT 29ers from Kona Bike Works for this coming Saturday. Still thinking we'd like to ride the Mana Road loop. I would want to invite/organize etc. but just don't want to start something and flake out. It's a long ride, just need to research it more and make sure the man and I are up to it, especially if we're by ourselves and trying to navigate it.

That said, am going to be very interested in what peoples' ride plans are for Saturday, in case we want to just tag along on someone else's ride! :D

#539 ·
Ah, but you see, this was a win win. I got to meet new people, extend the riding family a bit more AND I got a super ride in.

Also, I'm just putting some back into the kitty. I've certainly taken from it over the years with all the great people who have shown me their trails through out the world.

Thanks for the kudos, much appreciated.

#123 ·
Thanks Mazu, am actually having a glass of water by my side all week. Best advice was to hydrate all week, to the cellular level. Yeah, no way I running the whole thing. Been training Zgalloway tech, 3 min run/1 min walk. Been great so far. Did a long 8 last weekend, felt great, coulda kept going. Carbed up tonight and tomorrow. Only thing threw for the loop was running in the morn first thing last week, didn't have any breakfast or drink before, and my legs felt like a hundred pounds! My time was in range, just the legs was dead. My friend lughed and told me Zi need to have something before I ran. I was o used to running in afternoon, after eating and drinking all day. LOL!

#174 · (Edited)
Excellent ride.

Perfect trail conditions all around. I'm quoting someone from a couple posts up, except mine would be, if I had enough legs or lungs left I would have gone up for another run. I got the workout I expected and thensome. Thanks for reminding me I need to ride more trails.

I rode these trails a long time ago and remember many more in your face limbs and leaves than were there Sunday. Thank you very much for the great and continued trail work, I can definitely tell the difference. I'll definitely be spending more time there.

If anyone else is just browsing the forums, definitely catch a trail with any of these guys. You'll be well rewarded. :thumbsup:

#176 ·
Perfect trail conditions all around. I'm quoting someone from a couple posts up, except mine would be, if I had enough legs or lungs left I would have gone up for another run. I got the workout I expected and thensome. Thanks for reminding me I need to ride more trails.

I rode these trails a long time ago and remember many more in your face limbs and leaves than were there Sunday. Thank you very much for the great and continued trail work, I can definitely tell the difference. I'll definitely be spending more time there.

If anyone else is just browsing the forums, definitely catch a trail with any of these guys. You'll be well rewarded. :thumbsup:
Hey Jonas, I'm glad you decided to make your presence known.:thumbsup: It was a nice surprise to see somebody just show up to the ride. Hopefully one day you and gmats make it out to Kulani.

#217 ·
Kulani was great. It was a little muddy and damp, but it made it that much more challenging and fun. Thanks aikane for showing me more of the trails. Today's ride was fun.

I wasn't too tired yet, so I went for a quick climb up waterfall hill after Kulani. Yep I doubled dipped today.:D I think I was meant to go there cause I was able to help my buddy down the hill. I believe it was Friday afternoon when I met Buck. I just finished waterfall and he stopped by my truck and we started chatting about biking. He wasn't aware about waterfall hill so I told him he should check it out one day. Well low and behold today I see him climbing up the hill. We chatted again at the 2nd resorvoir and I told him about this forum. I told him I had to dig because I was supposed to be home by 5:00. I know it was around 4:45 so I jammed down the hill and quickly loaded my bike and gear in my truck. I was just about to leave when I see him and his bike coming down the road. He had a flat tire! He says he popped it on a big rock coming down. So I gave him a ride back to his apartment in Wainaku. I was happy to help him out. It probably would've sucked for him to get all the way back down.

BUCK if you are reading this, make an account and say wassup.:thumbsup: I hope you get your bike fixed soon so you can come out and ride with us.:)

Reactions: gmats
#383 ·
Yes, I like do Kaloko too.
This weekend is out for me as its my wife's birthday and I'm taking her away.
But don't let that stop you guys!
We're actually going to hike Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a, so I'll be scoping it also if it's bikeable. They have something like 8 miles of trail.

#453 ·
Mana road

Mana Rd was awesome. The terrain covered a little bit of everything. Steep climbs, fast downhills, hot blazing sun, grassy roads, cold chilly wind, high altitude, fog, rain, gravel so fine that it's like riding in sand, big rocks, flowy smooth tracks, sweet rocky ledge jumps, roots, I mean everything. Probably the only thing it was missing was mossy roots and rocks. But I can do without that on a ride like that. All in all it was epic! :thumbsup: The only carnage to me was having my pedal fall off while climbing one of the steep hills. I have no idea how that happened. I'm just glad that I actually had an 8mm allen wrench on me.

Christie - I would definitely reccomend doing it when you come and visit next month. It took our group around 7+ hours to compete, but I believe it can easily be done quicker. We tried to keep the group together so we had a couple of regrouping stops and a lunch break.
I definitely overpacked for my first long ride. When I got home I noticed that I only drank about 35 oz of water from my camelbak and about 12 oz from the gatorade bottle on my bike. I've never been a big water drinker when I ride anyways. I always hydrate well during the week before a long endurance workout. Thats how I train for my distance running. I did however eat 3 fruit/nut bars, 2 protein nut bars, 2 Gu Chomps packets, 1 fun size M&M's, 1 fun size Skittles, and a homemade tuna sandwich. All of that can easily fit in a camelbak backpack along with all your regular gear. So there is no need for a follow truck. Although, it was nice to have 6 trucks behind us yesterday.

Pics from yesterday's ride.

Stats:

Reactions: marpilli
#509 ·
Wish I could make it. Today is going to be another long day at work. I'm taking a 5 minute break right now cause after this ill be wiring for the next 6-7 hours. Yay me.

Reactions: ehigh
#510 ·
Hello, hello

Gmats pointed me in this direction for information and I'm enjoying sifting through it.

I'm hoping to ride on the Kohala coast and was recommended that I check out Kalopa SP. Any other recommendations for the area? Back home on the central coast of California, I ride AM and what some call Freeride. Everyone's got their own vernacular, but I'd love to get a good taste of these trails.

#511 ·
Hello, hello

Gmats pointed me in this direction for information and I'm enjoying sifting through it.

I'm hoping to ride on the Kohala coast and was recommended that I check out Kalopa SP. Any other recommendations for the area? Back home on the central coast of California, I ride AM and what some call Freeride. Everyone's got their own vernacular, but I'd love to get a good taste of these trails.
Gmats is the man when it comes to riding Kalopa. You might want to make it over to Kona and check out Kaloko as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.