Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Big Island Trails

85K views 672 replies 30 participants last post by  Specialutz 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to the mountain biking scene. I've been riding in just random places that I can find. I wouldn't mind trying out some of the more defined/popular trails. I've heard of Kulani (sounds difficult for my skill level), University Hilo Trail (where do I start/enter?), and Kalopa. Are there any other good ones out there? How's the Tree Planters road?

Today I went for another random trail hunt. I found myself above Akolea Rd passing a couple of water tanks. It mostly was gravel stuff, then all of sudden it became a paved/defined road that just kept on going uphill..a semi-steep uphill. According to my gps I was around 1400 ft in elevation. Seems like if I kept going up I would have found myself to the right of Kaumana City. My legs were burning at this point so I decided to turn around. Let me just say that the downhill ride was fast and sketchy at times. But I had fun and found myself screaming, "WOO HOO!":D

#7 ·
Are you part of the crew that rides at Kulani every Friday? I was talking to Chris at Hilo Bike Hub and he says he rides there all the time.

#3 ·
I would love to check out Kulani one day. I'm pretty sure I can learn a thing or two. I'm still a newbie so I just need to get out there and ride.

#9 ·
Well being a family man my schedule is tight. How long does a ride at Kulani take? I can usually spare a couple of hours after work. Or my weekends are pretty free right now. The best times for me on the weekend is early afternoon after lunch.

#11 ·
Mazu-- I know you from two sites now. :) sent you a message. might go am run on sunday with the group. usually around 8 finished by 10. lmk. only easy as i am just getting back in the offroad saddle from vacation.barely 6 mi tops.

gmats: Mammoth park?? or fruita??? I am still dreaming of those places. better post some pics or videos when you come back. lmk when you get back. might try to get the guys to head out that way for a sat or sunday push.

aikane: we should get together to go ride.

#16 ·
Aloha!
I am happy to find this thread! I am new to mt. biking, just picked up a new Specialized EVO carbon works. I am also on the Hilo side and would like to ride some trails.
Is it a bother if I join you guys this Sunday? Mazukea and Aikane, you guys sound both like my level, Im just a beginer. I train for triathalons but have little off roading experince.
trdspectacoma, you sound the most knowledgable here, do you ride with a crew? And if so, how are they? So far I've ridden dirt roads in Paradise Park.
Please get back to me, I appreciate all the Alohaness.

#17 ·
Welcome Specialutz!

I'm sorta like you...well sounds like it....maybe one day....anyways, I'm not a triathlete, but I do like to run and exercise. I'm in training for a 1/2 marathon and maybe even a full marathon next year. My 6 year old Hardrock HT bike was just staring at me so I started riding again about 2 months ago. I loved it so I upgraded to a full suspension bike. Now I'm trying to challenge myself to get better and do harder trails.

See you on the trails!

#20 ·
Specialutz very cool name and sounds like a nice bike. me: I am not that knowledgeable still cant figure my way out of kulani. or anywhere else :) and no cardio what so ever. only been riding for not even a year. I usually go with a small group of friends. no racing just riding. not too sure about the group ride this weekend but will post when and where if we do...

Gmats: call us when you get back. weather at home been not so great. but fun and muddy if you wanna clean drivetrains!!

#21 ·
idea.

I really want to ride down that crappy rocky road to Makalawena. I took my truck down there before and now I want to bike it. Anyone has any experience with their bike? I know some parts were crappy with my truck. But I'm thinking with a bike it should be easier cause its smaller and narrower.

So who's in?

#22 ·
Aloha guys!
Okay, I hope this does not exclude me from riding with you folks, but the reason I asked about trd's crew is because I'm female. I know how much camradere the guys have a d their bro time is important time away from the wives and so on. I wanted to see if it is cool that I can ride with you folks. I can hold my own.
Are we still riding on Sunday? If so, where and when do we meet? I'm so excited, it's hard enough for me to find other girls to ride yet even ride with others.
Mahalos,
Specialutz

#23 ·
Okay got the confirmation of riding this Sunday. 800 am at Mid pacific wheels on kawili st. if you cant make it then you can meet us at north quarry road on stainback around 8:30.....

special: don't worry you can come no exclusion it is all about the ride and the camradere with other bikers.

mazu: I thought of that but the fact or that hard technical climb back up practically scares me, with the fact that you have to some how pedal and bunnyhop up

#25 ·
Aloha Dudes!
Great, I can't wait to ride someplace new! Do I need a full helmet, neck brace, body pads for this place? I heard it's kinda technical.
Mazukea, I did that Mkalawena road, but not to the beach, just down and up to the top of the hill on the right that looks like a giant ass, for lack of better description. Wasn't that hard, only going back to the highway was a lil bit more challenging. But up on the hill I ran into some bikers building a small pump track! A secret pump track up at the top out of view from the road. They were nice.
Anyway, get back to me on what type of gear protection I need.
Mahalos,
Specialutz

#27 ·
Yeah I was thinking about doing Makalawena, but down to the beach. It looks like fun, but I know it would suck hard going back up. But I like challenges. I'm not sure if I could ever find the time to do it, but it's something that I think about.

Anyways, I think I can make it this Sunday. I was supposed to run a 5K at 8:00, but I might just skip it so I can ride. I've never been to Kulani so I might just take advantage of this invite.

#30 ·
Hey, you guys, wish I could be there too. Will catch up with you guys when I get back.

One hint. I usually bring a change of clothes and a towel so that when I'm done, I have clean, dry stuff to put on. Wipe off and feel much better. Driving back to Waimea (or where ever) somehow always nicer with dry clothes on. Sometimes I've brought a cooler full of warm water to wash/rinse off with. Feels great if it's been raining and I got all soaking wet.

Enjoy!!

#32 ·
sorry guys for all of the miss spelling and the grammar. dang iPhone and blind eyes :)

we will meet at the mid pac wheels at 8 then drive to Kulani shortly after. if you cannot make it to the shop we usually park on the side of the road at the quarry or the scientific area.

bring normal gear: gloves, helmet, shoes, water, a spare tube. if you feel the need to bring pads that is fine ( I usually run some RF knee pads). for the ride I usually pack 2L of water, I go through just about 2 by the time we finish. bring an energy bar if needed. GPS signal is descent, bring phone in a ziploc.

Like Gmats said, a dry towel or some extra clothes is nice if you have to drive far..

G: sorry you cannot make it this round. when you get back give us a holla. we have been meaning to head up your way for another blast down the hill. maybe I can bring a folding machete and help with some clean up of the suckling trees.

Maz: I can show you where the UH trail is after it is kind of hidden in the bushes. that trail is more technical then kulani just for the fact that it is always wet and mossy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.