Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    yup my freehub is thrashed. Chris @Bike Hub took a look at it and he agreed. Junk part is that the new warranty hubs wont be available for 2 weeks. Then they gotta ship it here. Depending on when I get this fixed, I might have to miss the Mana Rd ride.
    Wow, total bummer. If you were running 26 stuff, I have a couple of total spare wheels you can use.

Too much power bro, you exceeded the limits of torque that rear end can handle.

OK, back to seriousness. We (me for sure) get extra bike(s) you can use. You are not going to miss the Mana Road ride. Somehow we have to get you an extra bike for now too so you can keep riding (but no get hurt).

I Ride Bikes
    The crappy part is that Specialize uses a proprietary 142+ rear hub spacing. It's basically a 144 rear hub. So there is no direct replacement out there. I'm thinking about converting everything to 12x142 rear hub spacing so I can have more options.

mtbr member
    The crappy part is that Specialize uses a proprietary 142+ rear hub spacing. It's basically a 144 rear hub. So there is no direct replacement out there. I'm thinking about converting everything to 12x142 rear hub spacing so I can have more options.
    Yes, Specialized has done this for years. They are big enough and have enough leverage in the industry to have all this proprietary stuff. They do have a lot of good stuff and have pushed development so that we (the masses) can have that much of a better experience. Bad part is you got stung by that situation of not easily getting spare/replacement parts. I've sort of seen that for years in that people have bought the latest, greatest stuff and we'll be out riding trails way out in CO or other places. They break something and we can fix it because we can't get the spare part. My, your learning curve is steap Mazu.

So sorry to hear of the misfortunes. Yes, if you can convert to a 12x142 you'll be in much better shape in the future. I guess that's another reason for years (on pretty much all my bikes), I've said the $$ worth is to have my CK hubs. Up front, initial cost is epic but the long term reliability and field serviceability cannot be beat. But then again, I know a lot of people who have had great reliability from much cheaper solutions.

Again, we have to get you on a loaner bike soon.............

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    yup my freehub is thrashed. Chris @Bike Hub took a look at it and he agreed. Junk part is that the new warranty hubs wont be available for 2 weeks. Then they gotta ship it here. Depending on when I get this fixed, I might have to miss the Mana Rd ride.
    I've got a Trek Fuel 26" you can borrow. It's just in storage. Disc brakes and tubeless tires. Let me know if you want me to pull it out this weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Maz, it sucks about the hub. You're welcome to use any of my bikes til the repair is done. The 2 F.S. bikes are large frames, but the hardtail is a medium. Trail-withdrawel is not pleasant, I know.

I Ride Bikes
    Thanks for all the offers guys. After talking to Bike Hub, they say that it is rideable, but it is certainly failing. So I might go and pick up my wheels tomorrow after work. Then I might go and ride somewhere. I guess it depends on the weather.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabe55th View Post
    . I'm still a newbie so I just need to get out there and ride.

Elizabe55th, where you located? Hilo area? Waimea? Kona? Always room for more people to join us.

Hey, what ever happened to specialutz? Is it Ironman season so she's not mountain biking? Ah, there have been a lot of Off-dirt bikes around these days.

I haven't heard from anyone so I think I might just got for a ride tomorrow, maybe up in Kalopa. If anyone's interested, chime in and let me know. I'm not sure but it'll probably be in the morning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Kulani report: pretty descent, some moisture on the ground, a couple downed trees.

Maz pick up your wheel, I will probably head back for an afternoon run. With the sun blazing all day the trail should be cherry later today.

I Ride Bikes
    I'm working in Ookala right now. Hopefully I can finish work at 2:30. I hope to get to Kulani by 3:30.

mtbr member
    Who wants to ride tomorrow (Sunday)? I'm open. Kalopa, Kulani, Kaloko? Let me know what time is good, I'll be there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Gmats, Kalopa sounds good to me, been looking to ride gulch trail again.

Maz, give me a call when you know for sure what time you'll be at Kulani.

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    I might see you at kalopa if I can get up early enough. Don't wait for me. I may not get there at all.

I Ride Bikes
    So today I went to Kulani to check out how bad my freehub is. I only noticed one instance of slipping while I was descending down a little rocky hill. It really threw me off though cause I was wasn't ready for it. Other than that is seems "ok". There is still an obvious grinding sounds coming from it.

So I have decided to stay close to home and just ride on relatively flat ground. I think Kulani may be my only riding terrain until I get my wheel fixed.
    I will be there tomorrow morning around 8:30, but I can meet earlier or later if jonas or gmats wants to join me. =) I know you guys will have more travel time thats why.

mtbr member
    OK, I'm headed to Kulani, meeting Mazu and anyone else there at 08:30 (at the Quarry). Jonas, if you're interested, I'm leaving my house at 07:00 - you're welcome to truck-pool out with me. I'll be up by 06:00 so you can call me anytime. I'll also check in on the computer to see what's up.

I Ride Bikes
    okay I guess it's more official now.

KULANI
    Tomorrow
    8:30 am
    Meet in the Quarry.
    Pray for nice weather

The plan is to ride EVERYTHING!

edit: Just saw that gmats beat me to it. He is sooo fast!
    Last edited by Mazukea; 10-07-2012 at 02:18 AM. Reason: hi

I Ride Bikes
    Beautiful conditions at Kulani today. I'm glad gmats and todd came out today. My friend, Grant F., also decided to join us. So it was a 4 person party in Kulani. It was definitely humid. I think I will be headed back to Kulani tomorrow afterwork. I should be able to get there by 3:30. I'm trying to get my friend Grant to come again. I think I have him hooked. So I bet he's coming tomorrow. lol.

I bet if the weather holds out like this, then its going to be awesome riding conditions tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Beautiful conditions at Kulani today. I'm glad gmats and todd came out today. My friend, Grant F., also decided to join us. So it was a 4 person party in Kulani. It was definitely humid. I think I will be headed back to Kulani tomorrow afterwork. I should be able to get there by 3:30. I'm trying to get my friend Grant to come again. I think I have him hooked. So I bet he's coming tomorrow. lol.

I bet if the weather holds out like this, then its going to be awesome riding conditions tomorrow.
    Was awesome riding with you guys today. GrantF was great hooking up and riding with you. Don't forget to let some air out of the tire and enjoy. Looking forward to riding with you guys again.

Mazu, email me all the details of your wheel - Rim type, Hub details (like any info on it). Maybe will be able to "rebuild" the wheel with some awesome hubs! Keep you rolling along (Probably not in time for Mana Road though).

I Ride Bikes
    yeah I've been researching Chris King hubs for the past couple of days. 72 Points of engagement. wow that is incredible. I think my current Specialized Hi LO 12x142+ 32H hub has like 16 POE. My rims are Roval 29, alloy disc, 26mm wide, 32h.

I think I want to just order the CK rear hub to fix my current wheel. Then in the future I can do a full custom wheelset.
    So I guess I just need to order the CK 12x142 iso rear hub. is that correct?

mtbr member
    yeah I've been researching Chris King hubs for the past couple of days. 72 Points of engagement. wow that is incredible. I think my current Specialized Hi LO 12x142+ 32H hub has like 16 POE. My rims are Roval 29, alloy disc, 26mm wide, 32h.

I think I want to just order the CK rear hub to fix my current wheel. Then in the future I can do a full custom wheelset.
    So I guess I just need to order the CK 12x142 iso rear hub. is that correct?
    The 72pts of engagement is a bit deceiving because the CK hubs don't actually use a pawl type set up like all the other hubs. There are 72 teeth in the engagement mechanism but it's more of a ratcheting system that gets pulled in via corkscrew concept.

Anyway, yes, the CK 142x12 is the rear hub you want.

Which Roval 29 rims do you have.? I'm looking for the ERD (which is information on the internet some where specific to the rim you have).

I Ride Bikes
    I've been scouring the Internet for info regarding my rim. I know it's a Control Trail model cause it says so on the rim. I also found that it weighs 2130 grams. It's a clincher, tubeless ready. I'm still researching...

I Ride Bikes
    So I guess I'll be ordering the CK hubs tomorrow. I wonder if the Bike Hub can rebuild the wheel in time for Mana rd.

I Ride Bikes
    I'm headed to Kulani at 3:30.

I Ride Bikes
    Kulani was nice and dry today. The only muddy part was when we headed down to "Fast But Slow" . Other than that it was a nice ride. My friend did however break his derailleur hanger on our last round through Quarry Trail. Thank goodness it was right at the beginning. It was 5:00 so we just walked the bike out. After closer examination we both decided that he upgrade his cassette and front chainrings too. Some of the teeth are worn or missing. He was complaining about mis-shifting so this may have been the cause.

I Ride Bikes
    Someone posted this guide to help me understand 142+.

http://service.specialized.com/colla...lity-Guide.pdf

mtbr member
    Ah, OK, useful information. Essentially Specialized took the original 135 mm hub and pushed each of the spoke flanges out 3 mm. They do that to help strengthen the wheel by getting a better angle of the spoke to the rim.

Then with the 142 mm, they pushed the drive side spoke flange out another 2 mm. Again, this was so they could help "strengthen" the wheel. Basically they said they have more room to spare, push the gears out more toward the frame and therefore give more room to push the hub flange out. No biggie, any 142 hub will do in your case and just a minor derailleur adjustment to compensate. I read that part in the S forums too.

At this point, not sure it makes much difference. I guess just like reducing weight, a little here and a little there can add up. Bottom line, it's just another hub and cram all the numbers into the spoke calculator along with the rim's ERD and come out with spokes to build the wheel.

I Ride Bikes
    Yeah it certainly looks that way. I want to get a CK hub, but I don't want to buy anything until Chris gets back to me. I wonder if they actually have the spokes in stock? Is that a common thing to have at a bike shop?

mtbr member
    Yes, most shops have "some" spokes in stock. Generally the straight gauge, silver 14 and maybe 15 gauge stuff. They may have some double butted and some black spokes in some of the "common" sizes. It's hard to stock all the different sizes in different gauges AND of course all the colors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Looking to hit up Kulani tomorrow afterwork........

I Ride Bikes
    The Bike Hub got back to me today. So it looks like I can upgrade my rear hub with a Chris King. We still gotta work out how much is going to come out of my pocket though. I'm pretty excited though.

mtbr member
    That's awesome news. Hoping it all works out with costs and time. Stay tuned to this Bat Channel. I am interested..........

I Ride Bikes
    Okay I went to HBH after work and talked to Chris. So it looks like Specialized will be giving me $250 to rebuild my wheel. I will have to pay the difference of the CK hubs, alloy nipples, and spokes. So roughly $250-260 out of pocket for me.

mtbr member
    That's still a great deal because the hub alone would cost more than that. Sweet. If only I could do the job for you, my labor charge is cheaper (free lunch or something) but then again, "Some assembly required" because you'd be involved too, part of the learning of wrenching on your bike.

I Ride Bikes
    This is the rough breakdown for parts. He was just spitting out numbers. This is what I remembered.

CK Hub - $390
    Spokes - $40
    Alloy Nipples - $10
    Labor - $60
    Total = $510
    Credit = -$250
    Final Cost = $260

Believe me, i would love to learn how to build a wheel. But since this is a warranty issue, I figured I should just let HBH build the wheel so I can keep the warranty. $260 for a CK hub and keep my Specialized warranty is too good to pass up. Plus the CK hub will probably last longer than this wheelset. So I can use it on my next wheelset when this one craps out.

mtbr member
    Yes, the CK hub will outlast your bike. I have some of my original wheels from my 1998 Psycle Werks.

I Ride Bikes
    I think I might go riding today. Maybe waterfall hill since its been awhile since I've been there.

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    Any rides tomorrow?

I Ride Bikes
    I'm working tomorrow. I may go for a short ride afterwork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Looks like the off and on wet weather is back. Glad I could do a short ride today and take advantage of the dry conditions.

I Ride Bikes
    Tonight's haiku:

Riding the Mana
    Too excited to describe
    I can't wait! Cheeee huuuuu!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    same here mazu.. can't wait for the weekend. I already have things packed and ready.

mtbr member
    Well! Just read 18 pages of locals discussing awesome adventures and camaraderie.

I live near San Francisco, and love to ride at places like Skeggs and Annadel. I'm trying to sort through all the places you guys ride and pick one or two epic rides to hit up when we're there November 20-25 (Thanksgiving week).

How would you rank the following rides, in order of epic-ness? Or, what's the ONE ride you'd recommend to some tourist mountain biking nuts:

Mana Road around Mauna Kea
    Volcano Escape Road, Volcanoes Park
    Kulani
    Waterfall climb
    Kalopa

Am I missing anything? We're not afraid of long rides. I'm probably afraid of how much moisture is there. Rocks and roots? Sure. Wet rocks and roots? Ugh. Don't mind the learning experience, but probably don't want to show up on the beach the next day looking like my man had to tell me twice.

Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Spammer be gone.
    Last edited by aikane; 10-19-2012 at 08:02 AM.

I Ride Bikes
    17 hour work day....I'm tired. This week at work has been crazy. 50+ hours in four days. This Saturday I might be a little more tired than usual.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Christieland, what side of the island will you be staying at?

Mana road- endurance type ride, requires planning, multiple vehicles would be best.

Volcano Natl Park- more scenic than epic, biking is technically not allowed on a lot of the areas.

Kulani- roots, rocks and tight technial stuff. Located on the east side of island.

Kalopa-flowy singletrack, some climbing, nice views. North-east.

Kaloko-sort of a combination of Kulani and Kalopa. Westside.

Waterfall hill-name says it all. Climb up, bomb it back down. See some waterfalls on the way. Eastside.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christieland View Post
    Well! Just read 18 pages of locals discussing awesome adventures and camaraderie.

I live near San Francisco, and love to ride at places like Skeggs and Annadel. I'm trying to sort through all the places you guys ride and pick one or two epic rides to hit up when we're there November 20-25 (Thanksgiving week).

How would you rank the following rides, in order of epic-ness? Or, what's the ONE ride you'd recommend to some tourist mountain biking nuts:

Mana Road around Mauna Kea
    Volcano Escape Road, Volcanoes Park
    Kulani
    Waterfall climb
    Kalopa

Am I missing anything? We're not afraid of long rides. I'm probably afraid of how much moisture is there. Rocks and roots? Sure. Wet rocks and roots? Ugh. Don't mind the learning experience, but probably don't want to show up on the beach the next day looking like my man had to tell me twice.

Thanks so much!
    Aloha Christieland,

Welcome. Yes, guess there's been a lot of chatter here to read through. Love some of the riding I've done up there in the bay area. I've ridden Skeggs and loved it. Have not ridden Annadel yet.

At any rate, when you talk about epic riding, are you talking about distance, technical, or sites (scenery)? Aikane posted a bit about what each of the trails posses. If you're looking for "Epic" riding (distance, tough ride), then maybe I can suggest this. Park at the top of the Waipio Valley. Ride down to the beach. Hike a bike across the river at the bottom and then the Z trail up to the top of the other side of the valley. From there, it's epic technical riding in and out of many mini valleys over to the next major valley over (Waimanu Valley). I've never actually ridden that yet. I've only hiked it - 7 hour hike.

As for the other trails you've questioned about, other than Mana road, all are just small network of trails that can be ridden in as little as 2-4 hours depending on the routes and fun factors thrown in. I have a ride up in Kaloko that can be 1.5-4 hours depending on how much serious vertical climbing we throw in. From time to time, the scenery can be really awesome up there.

Are you going to be coming out here with your own bike(s)? If you're looking for rental, then pretty much Bikeworks (Kona) is your only choice. If you're the right size, then we have potentials for bikes you can borrow.

Where are you going to be staying while you are out here? That will certainly have an affect on which trail(s) you ride. Drop us a line, I'm sure we'd be interested in hooking up for some riding. To answer your original question, I can't think of a "must" ride while you are here, each of the trails have their fun factors associated to it.

P.S. Was that you that wanted to join up on the FB Big Island Mountain Biking page?

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Hi everybody.
    I'm thiniking of riding Mana Road tomorrow.
    Anybody up for it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolii29 View Post
    Hi everybody.
    I'm thiniking of riding Mana Road tomorrow.
    Anybody up for it?
    hmmmm I shall have to think about that one............................................... ...............

of course,,, its on!!! woot

mtbr member
    Ha! Bruddah, you one riot! See you guys tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    See you tomorrow grant. not so worried.. If I am too burnt to ride I shall take pictures.

mtbr member
    Gmats - thank you for the welcome and advice, yes that was me.

We're staying near Waikoloa Village, but are planning to rent a car because we've enjoyed the adventures we've had all over the island and enjoy road trips.

We're feeling drawn to the Mana Road ride. Probably because, when else will we be able to say, we rode bikes all the way around a volcano. We were thinking of renting hardtail 29ers, and we're good on endurance, not the fastest things in the world, but happy to ride for 6, 7 hours if need be. Probably don't want to seek out the gnarliest terrain, but are comfortable riding over most anything.

I'm curious if the ride can be done without a chase vehicle? If not, was hoping to post up on FB and here about perhaps trying to organize a Mana Rd. excursion for the Friday or Saturday immediately after Thanksgiving. If that's what we decide we'd like to do. Thanks for the bike shop recommendation too.

(I guess to my question, if someone were from out of town and visiting California, I might suggest the Lake Tahoe Flume Trail. Toads or Hole in the Ground might be more technical or interesting riding, but Flume is highly impressive to visitors, and gorgeous from what I hear (I still haven't done this ride).

I Ride Bikes
    Hey Christie,

So per my PM I will try my best to track my ride via my endomondo app. I have a back-up battery for my iphone so I'm hoping it will last the 6-8 hours so I can document the entire ride. I'm sure Mana Rd can be done without a chase vehicle, but I'll give a better assessment after tomorrow.
    I would be down to join you folks for a ride, but the saturday after Thanksgiving is going to be a little too hard to pull-off for me. I don't think my family would be too happy with me.

mtbr member
    Gmats - thank you for the welcome and advice, yes that was me.

We're staying near Waikoloa Village, but are planning to rent a car because we've enjoyed the adventures we've had all over the island and enjoy road trips.

We're feeling drawn to the Mana Road ride. Probably because, when else will we be able to say, we rode bikes all the way around a volcano. We were thinking of renting hardtail 29ers, and we're good on endurance, not the fastest things in the world, but happy to ride for 6, 7 hours if need be. Probably don't want to seek out the gnarliest terrain, but are comfortable riding over most anything.

I'm curious if the ride can be done without a chase vehicle? If not, was hoping to post up on FB and here about perhaps trying to organize a Mana Rd. excursion for the Friday or Saturday immediately after Thanksgiving. If that's what we decide we'd like to do. Thanks for the bike shop recommendation too.

(I guess to my question, if someone were from out of town and visiting California, I might suggest the Lake Tahoe Flume Trail. Toads or Hole in the Ground might be more technical or interesting riding, but Flume is highly impressive to visitors, and gorgeous from what I hear (I still haven't done this ride).
    Mana Road can be done without chase vehicles. I've done it that way a dozen or so times (normal for me). The difficulty is figuring out the shuttle to the start of the ride but it's not difficult in any way.

I've done Flume and Toads. Tahoe rides are great, really enjoyed Downeville when I was out there. The climb for Flume was just slow and steady and then the whole down hill was just mellow and steady, nothing epic for speed or technical. The views are epic though, fantastic ride!!

Look forward to your guys' arrival. Will certainly try to see if we can put something together.

Happy Trails!

I Ride Bikes

Mana road

Mana Rd was awesome. The terrain covered a little bit of everything. Steep climbs, fast downhills, hot blazing sun, grassy roads, cold chilly wind, high altitude, fog, rain, gravel so fine that it's like riding in sand, big rocks, flowy smooth tracks, sweet rocky ledge jumps, roots, I mean everything. Probably the only thing it was missing was mossy roots and rocks. But I can do without that on a ride like that. All in all it was epic! The only carnage to me was having my pedal fall off while climbing one of the steep hills. I have no idea how that happened. I'm just glad that I actually had an 8mm allen wrench on me.

Christie - I would definitely reccomend doing it when you come and visit next month. It took our group around 7+ hours to compete, but I believe it can easily be done quicker. We tried to keep the group together so we had a couple of regrouping stops and a lunch break.
    I definitely overpacked for my first long ride. When I got home I noticed that I only drank about 35 oz of water from my camelbak and about 12 oz from the gatorade bottle on my bike. I've never been a big water drinker when I ride anyways. I always hydrate well during the week before a long endurance workout. Thats how I train for my distance running. I did however eat 3 fruit/nut bars, 2 protein nut bars, 2 Gu Chomps packets, 1 fun size M&M's, 1 fun size Skittles, and a homemade tuna sandwich. All of that can easily fit in a camelbak backpack along with all your regular gear. So there is no need for a follow truck. Although, it was nice to have 6 trucks behind us yesterday.

Pics from yesterday's ride.

Stats:

I Ride Bikes

I Ride Bikes
    My bike is done. Put a fork in it.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    WOAH! Mazu, the Camber?!?!?
    From Mana???

I Ride Bikes
    Yup. I was cleaning my bike and that's when I found it. I know it wasn't like that before the ride cause I did a full check of my bike the day before. I would have definitely caught that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ouch. Dam I would check warranty. Yikes. It was a nice ride even though I didn't make it through.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Damn, you ate all that?!? The MnMs make me wish I brought that. Yes, same like you , hydrate all week before the ride, need to get it down to the molecular level, not just the day before. I only drank 3/4ths of my 100oz. bladder of water, one small size LifeWater, triple XXX of course, two ClifBars, 3 shots PowerShot, and that great sandwich my wife made.
    Had to make room for the killer Mexican food and awesome beers at the end.
    Damn, that was a great ride! Kinda felt like I dreamt it when I woke up this morning, until I went to go SUP surf, then felt a lil' jelly in the legs. All good, recovery helps build up for more endurance.

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    Yea, definitely an epic sweet ride all around. Thanks for the pics, and stats, very nice! Sorry to see the bike crack, that looks pretty nasty. Good thing it didn't snap completely off on a downhill.
    If you like climbing it's definitely a good spot with nice rewards for all the climbing effort. Definitely worth another run sooner than later.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Yup on the climbing and hill bombing.
    I park at that place they have Farmer's Market on Saturday in Waimea, right where you exit Mana to the highway. Climb up 12 miles early in the morning, and bomb it down. You can go as far as you want, then turn around. I love getting above the cloud line early in the morning.

I Ride Bikes
    I really enjoyed climbing those hills. Crazy as that sounds, but I knew that there was a sweet downhill waiting for me on the other side. =) A lot of it did remind me of Waterfall Hill, which is why I'm glad I ride that trail a lot. I think it really helped me on this ride. I seriously want to go back soon too.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    That's right!
    One must earn their downhill.
    You must climb up to go down.

mtbr member
    I really enjoyed climbing those hills. Crazy as that sounds, but I knew that there was a sweet downhill waiting for me on the other side. =) A lot of it did remind me of Waterfall Hill, which is why I'm glad I ride that trail a lot. I think it really helped me on this ride. I seriously want to go back soon too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolii29 View Post
    That's right!
    One must earn their downhill.
    You must climb up to go down.
    Well put you two. I agree. Must pay them dues.

I Ride Bikes
    My new bike frame will look like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Island Trails-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nice!!! atleast everything will still be color matched

Bambiker
    Aug 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm Maz broken frame

That's a hard way to get a new frame. You're getting quite an MTB education in just a few months. Specialized should pay you to test out their stuff. I only have had a specialized road bike, my only road bike, and it's held up OK.
    I never saw specialized MTB until I got here. I don't remember anyone in Texas with one. It was always Trek, Kona, Cannondale, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, etc.. Cannondale seemed to break more though. I think mostly because they were always trying to do new things. Looks like Specialized may be going the same route.
    That is a pretty rediculous break location. Must have been bad from the factory.
    Ah, well, new is always nice even if it's warranty new.
    I rode a Trek Y 5.0 for two years before it broke and I got a nice warranty nude carbon replacement. The nice thing was they had improved the carbon layup and the rear triangle in the mean time, so it was actually an upgrade.

I Ride Bikes
    I swear in just 3 months I would have never guessed I would be this deep into mountain biking. I've been fortunate enough to ride 3-4 times a week. I still have a long ways to go though. I gotta go clipless if I want to keep advancing and improving. I think I just gotta do it.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    The scary thing about YOU going clipless is that you already can crank up hills well on flats. With clipless you are going to be twice as efficient with the ability to pull on your pedal as well as push (theoretically you want an ideal even rotational pressure circular motion when pedaling, but in reality we all mash). This will enable you to use a bigger gear and cover more ground per rotation.
    On technical stuff, upside is the ability to pull up your bike on the stroke over obstacles instead of stalling and trying to reposition for max push onthe pedal.
    Downside, Welcome to Timberland! LOL! Part of learning curve on getting your reflex memory in unclipping fast enough not to fall. But we ALL had to go through it, and everybody has funny stories of being clipped in and falling at the wrong moments. LOL! I have tons.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    The thing that is great about watching you progress is that you are doing it the right way. Building a cardio and skills base first, then technique and equipment, as opposed to those that worry about their equipment or image first. Next up, wrenching your own bike. That can be learned everytime I work on my bike or others, by observing, asking questions, hell even internet. But please dont get stuck on the couch being enoarmed by it all, go and do it. BTW if you need a workstand, we can make you one on the cheap but strong and functional, you saw mine. Custom brah! We put your moniker on it!

mtbr member
    I swear in just 3 months I would have never guessed I would be this deep into mountain biking. I've been fortunate enough to ride 3-4 times a week. I still have a long ways to go though. I gotta go clipless if I want to keep advancing and improving. I think I just gotta do it.
    Bruddah, you've come a long way and I've been enjoying being part of the journey. You're enduring all of the same things I went through which I learned over many years. I haven't stopped learning but I guess for the most part, the curve isn't as steep these days.

mtbr member
    Beautiful photos of your ride you guys! Love it. I'm a little nervous about attempting it totally on our own, but we're big kids, we'll probably be fine.

Is that a Camber Mazukea? That was my first mountain bike, a Camber 26. I was able to score a great deal on one. It was enough to convince me I loved mountain biking and then I got a Santa Cruz Blur TRc.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Bruddah, you've come a long way and I've been enjoying being part of the journey. You're enduring all of the same things I went through which I learned over many years. I haven't stopped learning but I guess for the most part, the curve isn't as steep these days.
    Ditto on that Gmats! He's taking months to experience and learn stuff that took me years.
    The learning curve is not as steep but we still gotta conquer that steep Thousand Steps of Smoking Crater.

mtbr member
    Aloha Chistieland,

It was a great day, great ride. Riding Mana road is like I remember my surf sessions of years past. Same trail (road), same rocks and hills but always different. Some treks have been harder or easier, more or less scenic. No matter what, always a great time.

What days will you be here in town? Let's see if we can try to make this happen. I was going to be out of town Thanksgiving holiday weekend but it is looking like I'll stay on island because my girlfriend has a theater performance. Big Island peeps, what days are you guys available to ride?

I Ride Bikes
    Beautiful photos of your ride you guys! Love it. I'm a little nervous about attempting it totally on our own, but we're big kids, we'll probably be fine.

Is that a Camber Mazukea? That was my first mountain bike, a Camber 26. I was able to score a great deal on one. It was enough to convince me I loved mountain biking and then I got a Santa Cruz Blur TRc.
    Yup, Camber 29er is down for the moment. The new frame is being flown in. I believe it should be here tomorrow. The LBS plans to rebuild the bike over the weekend and have it ready for me by next week. They are also rebuilding my rear wheel with a new CK hub, spokes, and nipples. It's going to be a brand new bike!

The Santa Cruz Blur is a beautiful bike! Nice choice.

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post

What days will you be here in town? Let's see if we can try to make this happen. I was going to be out of town Thanksgiving holiday weekend but it is looking like I'll stay on island because my girlfriend has a theater performance. Big Island peeps, what days are you guys available to ride?

I believe Christie wants to ride the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving. If that's the case, then I'm out. Hopefully you can get a nice group together though. If it was another weekend, then I would try to make it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone riding this weekend? (Sunday)

I Ride Bikes
    I think I'm going back to running this Sunday. I'll probably do a 5-6 miler in the morning. I gotta ease myself back into it. It's been over a month since the last time I laced up my running shoes.

live long and huck
    I think I'm going back to running this Sunday. I'll probably do a 5-6 miler in the morning. I gotta ease myself back into it. It's been over a month since the last time I laced up my running shoes.
    Mountain biking will do that to you. 4 years ago I was running 30-40 miles a week, had been for 15 years or so, I'm lucky if I've run 40 total since I started biking 4 years ago.

I Ride Bikes
    I know exactly what you mean! Lol. I was running 3-5 times a week. I loved it too. Then I discovered mountain biking. At first I was only going once a week. Then twice a week. Then before I knew it I was biking all the time! I guess with running I felt like I had nothing else to improve on. There were no challenges left. I still haven't ran a marathon, but I don't think I'm that far away from it. But with MTB, I feel like I have a ton to learn. So there is more motivation for me there. The only reason I'm running is because I don't have a bike this weekend.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    Anyone riding this weekend? (Sunday)
    I'm catching that NorthWest swell on Sunday at my fave X spot, so no biking for me this weekend. Plus I still need to clean it up, relube, tune , etc. after Mana road last week. Talk about the elements it went though, dusty , dusty and more dusty, that was the most cars I ever seen on Mana road ever! Blame it on the Hakalu forest open house. Then atthe last 12-15 miles rain and a lot of wet dirt thrown up all over from the downhill.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Gmats!
    check this blast from the past, scroll halfway down.
    Board Roll Call
    That's when I first "met" you, 6 years ago!
    LOL!
    For all the Big Eye riders, would be cool if we all check in on the board room call thread, just so others might network wherever you go.

I Ride Bikes
    Yeah my bike was filthy after Mana Rd. Thank goodness the frame was cracked. It made cleaning the bike a whole lot easier. HAHA! I just stopped as soon as I saw the crack. =)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I went to Kulani today with the intention of riding the entire trail system. I skipped Teeter-totter because there were a couple guys doing trail maintenance with weed whackers. Thank you whoever you are for all the hard work you guys have been putting in. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
    I think it would be a good idea to organize a trail maintenance day on our part as well. What do you guys think?

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    Sunday ride?

Bambiker
    Aug 2012

Good job! Trail maintenance.

I went to Kulani today with the intention of riding the entire trail system. I skipped Teeter-totter because there were a couple guys doing trail maintenance with weed whackers. Thank you whoever you are for all the hard work you guys have been putting in. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
    I think it would be a good idea to organize a trail maintenance day on our part as well. What do you guys think?
    I'd like to be counted in on trail maintenance. How about trail maintenance and then a ride afterwards some weekend. I'm in Kona most weekdays, so I wouldn't be available during the week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That sounds great Jonas. Sorry I didn't get back to you on the Sunday ride, was waiting out the whole Tsunami thing. I glad everyone is safe.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Sounds good to me! My weedwhacker lock, loade, and armed.
    Now if only I can locat a Ditch Witch...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I am open to suggestions for a date to do the trail maintenance/ride thingy. I know there are a couple long weekends coming up and people usually make their own plans for these, so let me know what works for you guys.

I Ride Bikes
    I'm in....=) How about this coming Sunday?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm ok with Sunday.

I Ride Bikes
    I'm headed to Oregon to visit family in July. I'm excited cause I know they have a big biking community up there. yee haw!

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    What part Oregon Mazu? I rode there this summer, Bend area, Unreal!
    Check out this month's (November) Mountain Bike Action magazine. The guy on the cover is my friend Seth, he guided me on some of the trails they profiled in the mag. Unreal, hundreds of miles of trails. I would suggest shuttling and doing a 25 mile ride back to town, hit up Whoops, berm, and more berms and humps and jumps and rail to rail goodness for miles!

I Ride Bikes
    Bend is going to be a little too far from me. I'll be in Sherwood. I also thought about the Mckenzie River Trail, but that is also too far away. I'm hoping to find a nice 10-15 mile trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Mazu- wow wthat should be fun

Trail Maint?? I can help if needed on sunday, I have weed wacker..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trdspectacoma View Post

Trail Maint?? I can help if needed on sunday, I have weed wacker..
    Cool, Sunday at 8:30am? Trd, where you wanna meet up? Anyone else want to join in, you are more then welcomed.

I'll pack an ice chest with drinks and bring extra gas and oil. We weed whack for a while, then ride for a while........

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    aikane. hmm that might be hard as I have a lowered truck... let me get back to you on that one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trdspectacoma View Post
    aikane. hmm that might be hard as I have a lowered truck... let me get back to you on that one.
    Trd, you can park your truck outside and jump in with me.
    If anyone else shows up, I plan to drive the week whacker into the trail in my truck, and you guys can ride your bikes to the trail. That way no one can mess with your bikes while we cutting grass. Looks like we can start with either Cubby's Corner or the Mall (fast but slow).

I Ride Bikes
    Still no bike. The factory shipped the wrong length spokes. So hopefully I get my bike back next week.

BUT

On the bright side, Specialized sent my new frame with the Kashima coated Fox rear shock installed in it! SCORE!! I went to check it out yesterday and the black and red frame is siiiiccckkkk.

mtbr member
    Trd, you can park your truck outside and jump in with me.
    If anyone else shows up, I plan to drive the week whacker into the trail in my truck, and you guys can ride your bikes to the trail. That way no one can mess with your bikes while we cutting grass. Looks like we can start with either Cubby's Corner or the Mall (fast but slow).
    Wish I could make it this Sunday. Really appreciate you guys putting this together. Already have stuff going on Sunday this weekend. Mazu, if you need (want) a bike to ride for now, I can bring one out on Saturday. I have a funeral service to attend on Saturday a.m. I might bring my bike and do an early afternoon ride after the service. Haven't decided where yet, either Hilo or Kalopa. Mazu, let me know.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10