Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I saw some guy with one of these a while back. He is from Alaska, he posts some great videos. I thought about making one, just never got around to it yet.

Awesome job!!

About to depart to Kalopa. See you guys soon.

I Ride Bikes
    Headed to waterfall hill right now. I hope to see pictures of the Kalopa bike ride today when I get back. Lol

mtbr member
    OK, here are some pictures from today's ride up in Kalopa. The trails were in sweet, amazing, dry shape. Was great riding with David, Darren, Russel, Jonas, Todd, Florian.

Hope this Garmin link works:
    <iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/217734251'></iframe>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Island Trails-dscf1003.jpg  

Big Island Trails-dscf1004.jpg  

Big Island Trails-dscf1005.jpg  

Big Island Trails-dscf1006.jpg  

Big Island Trails-dscf1037.jpg  

Big Island Trails-dscf1039.jpg  

Big Island Trails-s0031027.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trdspectacoma View Post
    Empty beer: I for myself is not even close to that point of that much riding yet. But one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasrullo View Post
    Are you looking for team members, or are you solo single speeding it? I've never been there....
    ...sorry, didn't mean to 'thread-jack' (that sounds like something I do in the shower...). It's been great watching this thread and the enthusiasm that's part of the package. You guys are exactly what the "24 Hours..." is all about - just a bunch of mountain-bike junkies having some fun in what's left of (somewhat) prestine Oahu. You'll meet all kinds of enthusiasts - serious contenders logging 100+ miles (solo, SS, team) to tri-types, weekend-warriors, drunks, etc. Depending on your perspective, it's what you (and your team, if you choose) make of it.

I Ride Bikes
    Nice pics gmats! That's a pretty nice size group of riders. I wish I could've been there, but hopefully I can make it to the next Kalopa ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Looks like a good time was had and I see some new faces, wish I could have been there too. Thanks Gmats for posting the pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybe_er View Post
    ...sorry, didn't mean to 'thread-jack' (that sounds like something I do in the shower...). It's been great watching this thread and the enthusiasm that's part of the package. You guys are exactly what the "24 Hours..." is all about - just a bunch of mountain-bike junkies having some fun in what's left of (somewhat) prestine Oahu. You'll meet all kinds of enthusiasts - serious contenders logging 100+ miles (solo, SS, team) to tri-types, weekend-warriors, drunks, etc. Depending on your perspective, it's what you (and your team, if you choose) make of it.
    Would be cool to put a team together and do an event like this. To bad we don't have anything like that here.

I Ride Bikes
    Anybody planning on doing any riding tomorrow?

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for posting the pics gmats. It's always fun to ride with new people.

Is there a ride tomorrow?

mtbr member
    You're welcome. Always nice to get out and ride, especially when conditions are so great.

Sorry, wanted to ride but going to spend time with my girlfriend and practice lawn-billiard shots. Hope someone's out there taking advantage of the great conditions. Looks like another great, dry day up in Kalopa.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Got off work early, hitting up Kulani this afternoon if anyone wants to ride.......

I Ride Bikes
    What time r u going?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Meeting Maz at 2pm @ Kulani if anyone else is "feeling the need".

I Ride Bikes
    YAY!

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Gone surfing.
    Refining cam equip.
    Anthem Boy and I most likely ride tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Kulani trail conditions were average, still damp from the weekend's rains. Had a good ride though. Maz cleared this one on his first attempt.

Sorry for recycling the pic, my camera took a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Honolii29 View Post
    Gone surfing.
    Refining cam equip.
    Anthem Boy and I most likely ride tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting.
    I'd be interested in that.

I Ride Bikes
    Kulani was great. It was a little muddy and damp, but it made it that much more challenging and fun. Thanks aikane for showing me more of the trails. Today's ride was fun.

I wasn't too tired yet, so I went for a quick climb up waterfall hill after Kulani. Yep I doubled dipped today. I think I was meant to go there cause I was able to help my buddy down the hill. I believe it was Friday afternoon when I met Buck. I just finished waterfall and he stopped by my truck and we started chatting about biking. He wasn't aware about waterfall hill so I told him he should check it out one day. Well low and behold today I see him climbing up the hill. We chatted again at the 2nd resorvoir and I told him about this forum. I told him I had to dig because I was supposed to be home by 5:00. I know it was around 4:45 so I jammed down the hill and quickly loaded my bike and gear in my truck. I was just about to leave when I see him and his bike coming down the road. He had a flat tire! He says he popped it on a big rock coming down. So I gave him a ride back to his apartment in Wainaku. I was happy to help him out. It probably would've sucked for him to get all the way back down.

BUCK if you are reading this, make an account and say wassup. I hope you get your bike fixed soon so you can come out and ride with us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Gonna climb Waterfalls in a bit........

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Dang, shoulda told you Kulani. Went there right after work with Anthem Boy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Haha, oh well.
    Mr. Honolii, so I made it up to the reservoir and saw the road that crosses the river, but had to turn around. It was getting late and I didn't have much left in the tank either. But how much further is it? Was I about half way?

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Wow! Good job!
    About 2/3s of the way up.
    There's another resv at the end. Also a Huge downhill to uphill U halfpipe gully. Kinda fun, just crank as fast as you can down to see if you can make it up the otherside, no slack gas!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Cool beans, I would have been happy to hear I was half way. The half pipe sounds fun, gotta go back this weekend and check it out.

I Ride Bikes
    I also went up to waterfall hill today. I took a co-worker for his first ride in a looooong time. I let him borrow my Hardrock. We accessed the trail by going through the chain rope with the red reflectors at the bottom. That was a fun way to start off the ride. I could tell he was feeling the burn, but he still managed to make it to the top. Then we went to the right to check out the trolley. Then I took him to the lookout area with the rusty bridge. After that we headed down. I think I may have gotten him "hooked". He bought my bike when I dropped him off at his house. I gave him a smoking deal on my 07 Hardrock since he's a friend. So we may have another potential rider coming out with us one day.

Aikane - I saw your truck when we got back, but I was amazed that we never saw you even once.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah I expected to see you coming down. But I go straight after the second tank. So do you end up at the reservoir eventually?

mtbr member
    Honolii,
    Here's the link to the guy that does all those cool videos and his video mounts.

Tscheezy's definitive comprehensive dw-link 5-Spot review - Mtbr Forums

and

Ghetto GoPro mount on an RFX

His name is Tsceezy. He and his wife live up in AK on Kodiack Island. Some awesome videos.

I Ride Bikes
    well from the two trails we did after the 2nd resoirvoir, they both pretty much lead to dead ends. My co-worker was pretty tired so we turned around headed back down after we reached the rusty bridge.

I still want to climb to the top resorvoir. I've done all the trails up there except for that one. If I finish on time I may try to hit that one up tomorrow.

This is a picture of the other resorvoir at the top of the asphalt road. I went up this road on saturday. This was a fun climb.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Whew! That's some sick vids! Super nice angles, kinda what I'd like to do. Just need to set a vid shoot ride, just for shooting. Will be lots of stop and go. The edits is what will make it flow.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Okay guys, Anthem Boy and I were talking, Night Riding!!
    In the Haunted Forest of Death, Kulani Trails.
    Man vs.Spirits.
    Everything else is just chicken. Oh, we have heart, we understand, **stiffles giggles**.
    We'll give a month period to get your light gear together, then set a date for a night ride, every man for himself, last man is the one the Boogeyman gets to eat.
    DISCUSS!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Haha, I love it. Let's do it on a full moon too, add to the creepiness. And no phones or GPS units either, find your way out or sleep the night.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    We were thinking no moon, full dark so if your battery dies, The Boogeyman will get you!
    2 hours max ride as those are average battery life for good lights. Trail heads and turnoffs marked with glow bands.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I getting a bigger backpack to carry beer in with me. If I do get lost, I won't care.

I Ride Bikes
    ^^^funny.

I'm going to bring a portable DVD player so I can watch scary movies after I get lost.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    LOL! I bringing mask and machete to scare the crap out of the stragglers

I Ride Bikes
    I'll probably be the first to get lost. We should schedule it close to Halloween. =)

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Open date, kinda the plan, near Halloween. LOL! This is gonna be epic! Picks straws who goes first, one minute intervals, slow riders move aside for faster riders, . Just throwing out some suggestions. Would be even funnier we do blind pick on bikes. Everybodys bike get numbered, you draw number from bag and thats the bike you have to ride. LOL! We could have a bonfire right in middle of quarry and campout too, have a full on camp cookout. I can even make shirts for the finishers, I Survived the 2012 Boogeyman Ride, Kulani Trails

I Ride Bikes
    nah, just make some BVD's. cause I'm going to need a new pair before the ride is over.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Anybody up for a Volcano ride on Sat? Early start, I can lead as I know the area.
    Anthem Boy is out, drag races. I'm going, test out cam more.
    Trail route depends on who is going and how many.
    Varies from 5 mile downhill, scenic single track, tech, and ?????? Depends again on who and how many. I'll tailor it to the skill levels so the pack stays tight and not waiting.

I Ride Bikes
    Shucks I work again this Saturday.

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    I may be able to make Saturday.I should know by tomorrow. What time and where do you meet?

mtbr member
    Wish I could but I think I am going to have to stay local at least one more weekend. I think there's a good chance Todd and I are going up to Kalopa for Saturday a.m. ride. I was hoping I'd be able to make it to Kulani this weekend but it's not looking like it'll work out. Some day I will make it out to Volcano to ride with you guys.

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    I'm good for Saturday, just need directions and a time. Is it quicker to go saddle road, or via south point from Waikoloa?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Saturday AM is a no go for me, got classes. Pm or Sunday works.

I Ride Bikes
    I'm down for an adventurous Sunday ride.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Jonas! Might just be you and I! It's all good, I'll make it worth the drive. Saddle road is definetly faster. We could meet up in Hilo and take my truck up, that way you dont have to drive all the way to Volcano. I'm looking at an early morn ride, if you could be in Hilo by 7:30, that would be cool. Takes about an hour and a half from Waikoloa, I think that's where you at?
    I'll def PM you where we can meet and my contact tomorrow. Just waiting to see if anybody else joins in.
    Aloha,
    Honolii

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    Sounds good, I'll check in tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am out gotta got to mauna lani tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trdspectacoma View Post
    I am out gotta got to mauna lani tomorrow.
    "Gotta"? Sounds tough. Play golf? Looks like Todd and I are going to be at Kalopa at around 08:00 or so unless someone wants and earlier or later (not by too much) time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    nah dinner with the family golf is on the 29th at kings for me. Although I have not practiced for a long time.

mtbr member
    sweet! Enjoy that quality family time!

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Jonas, check your PM.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast