Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    I hope you guys had fun today. It was a little rainy at Bayfront, but it stopped right before we started running. Here's proof that I wasn't just wimping out. Next for me is probably a 10K or half marathon. Whichever race comes first. See you guys next weekend hopefully.
    5K = 22:39. 44th overall and 10th in my age group. Not bad for my very first race.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Good climb today! Weather Gods gave us a reprieve as it was iffy if we were going or not. Not a drop fell on us during the climb, only started drizzling at the top while we were getting ready for the downhill. Awesome!
    Mazu, Aikane, no worries, that place is always there. Even after work can go do a nice climb, since it's nearby.
    Mazu, great job on the run! I've NEVER done a 5K, 10K, or ANY running event, but am doing my first run event at the Volcano 1/2 Marathon in 3 weeks. I got challenged to do the 1/2 marathon by a good friend who is an awesome runner, and in turn she said she'd come do ANY of my bike rides. So short notice training, just trying to get a good base and will be doing run/walk cycles just to finish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm glad you guys got in a good ride without getting too wet. Hopefully catch the next group ride.

Maz, congrats on the good showing in the 5k.

Quote Originally Posted by Honolii29 View Post
    Good climb today! Weather Gods gave us a reprieve as it was iffy if we were going or not. Not a drop fell on us during the climb, only started drizzling at the top while we were getting ready for the downhill. Awesome!
    Mazu, Aikane, no worries, that place is always there. Even after work can go do a nice climb, since it's nearby.
    Mazu, great job on the run! I've NEVER done a 5K, 10K, or ANY running event, but am doing my first run event at the Volcano 1/2 Marathon in 3 weeks. I got challenged to do the 1/2 marathon by a good friend who is an awesome runner, and in turn she said she'd come do ANY of my bike rides. So short notice training, just trying to get a good base and will be doing run/walk cycles just to finish.

A 1/2 Marathon on short notice is ballsy. Good Luck! You can do it! Just remember to hydrate for a whole week before race day. Trying to hydrate the day before won't really do you good. You gotta drink lots of water to prepare for a 1/2 marathon. Plus the 4000+ altitude of Volcano will really work your cardio because of the thinner and drier air. I wouldn't mind joining you, but I won't be around that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    Maz, congrats on the good showing in the 5k.

Thanks Aikane!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Congrats Mazu on the run!!

It was a fun tough and grueling ride. well worth the climb. thanks to the two animals who helped to push though!!! next ride I think we should play in the mud....some flume road?! just gotta bring some extra clothes and water to shower after.... talked to frankie he is down, mud fest..

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Mazu. Aikane, TRD,
    Anthem Boy and I will be doing a quick workout to 2nd tank Waterfalls late this afternoon after work.
    Prob around 4:30 - 5ish
    Hour workout
    PM me if interested.
    Or reply here

I gotta take my son to the doc this afternoon. I might be able to make it.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Okay, let me know if can. I'll check this site before we go.
    We meet up at Boiling Pots parking lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am out today.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Ride cancelled, too late a call. Gonna go hit the water.
    Sorry last minute.

That's okay. I wasn't going to make it. I was still at the doctor's office at 4:30. So I ended up running 6.2 miles today when i finally got home. I'm itching to ride though.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Dang, 6.2!
    Next week I start bumping up to do my long runs.
    Went surf today instead, gave the legs a little rest, tomorrow run at school with the kids.

Hey 6.2 miles is about half of a half marathon, which is 13.1 miles. I still give you lots of credit to be doing a half marathon with very little training. Just go at your own pace and you'll be fine.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Thanks for all the tips and encouragement. At first I was like I'm nuts to do this as. I know it's not a walk in the park, but then my other side was seething and the hell I was going to let her think that mt. biking is nothing compared to her 1/2 marathon, LOL! She told me she'd go on ANY of my bike rides if I finish the 1/2 marathon. So my stubborness kicked in, or more my "Sure thing, let's see you handle (put kick ass trail with huge hill climb here) and make it out unscathed". Truth is a lot of people here have a misconception what mt. biking is. They picture a nice dirt road through the forest or along the coast like Paradise Park la dee da dee da ride. Take them to Kulani and they wouldn't make it a hundred feet without dabbing, freaking out, or hike a biking. Take them to Waterfalls, Escape Road, or Kalopa and they wouldn't even fathom climbing those hills on a bike, let alone hike it. Two different disciplines, two different muscle groups, like apples to oranges. I love this friend, she's a great person, but I want to stick it to her that yeah, mt. biking is not that easy either, so that's been my driving force on finishing the 1/2 marathon. Who knows, as she said, I might get the road running bug! And I'm actually begining to like it a bit, so we'll see.
    But hey, there's lots more places to ride out there! Plus nothing beats bombing a single track, hitting a berm, pumping some humps, airing some jumps, and flowing dirty!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Honolii, gotta remember you're in training, gotta take it seriously. That includes no "etrxa-curriculars" in the bedroom til the race. "Women weaken legs", haha.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Aikane, LOL!
    Remember, I Filipino, they just like the EverReady Bunny, LOL!
    But yeah, I did cut down my surfing because of the time I need put on the road. Only makes me surf harder when I get back to it. Biking I can do, cross train, plus keeps up the cardio.
    Try see if Trdspecialutzcoma wants put together a ride this weekend. He was saying Flume Road, which is local and fun ride. I'm out as I have to go down Ka'u.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anybody up for hitting Kulani Sat. afternoon? I was there this morning and it was half way decent, as long as it doesn't come down hard in the next 24 hrs, should be epic. I have to work Sat but figure to hit the trail around 4:30, weather permitting.

I'm a maybe....again. I work tomorrow too, but I'm coming off a 22.5 hour workday today. I'm tired. If the weather is nice I wouldn't mind hitting up Kulani even if I am tired.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    22.5 hours! Damn, that's one of the reasons I denied a job there. Well if you're down for a ride, I'll be there regardless.

I was just happy that the night was beautiful. We were working out in Ookala. It was cool, clear, and the job went smooth too. Anyways, I'm down to ride. I should see you there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Maz, I usually park inside just before the quarry. Just have to load the bike and I'm off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Had a good afterwork ride this afternoon, trail conditions were very good. Mazu showed improvement, considering this was only his second time at Kulani.

Thanks for letting me join you on the trail. I had some highs and lows today. At times I felt like I was doing good and at other times I struggled. Still had fun though. It's a thrill for me when I hit the right line and get through the obstacles unscathed.

Here's a pic of Aikane leading the way.

BTW, my new shoes made a big difference. I just gotta get better pedals now.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast