Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I Ride Bikes
    I bought the Syntace P6 HiFlex seatpost. I got a pretty good deal on it. So it was hard for me to pass it up. As soon as I got it I cut it down cause 400mm is way to long for me. It weighed in at 199 grams with the seat post clamp attached.

Apparently this seat post flexes to help absorb some of the shock/vibration to the buttocks. The last thing I want is a vibrator by my butt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Cool, so can we start referring to you as "Carbon-Boy" from now on?

I Ride Bikes
    haha....fine by me.

Anybody planning on going Kulani this week? I plan on going to waterfall again tomorrow. I can't get enough of that super fast downhill.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Eh Mazu, you like the downhill eh? Gotta take you Escape Road up Volcano, that's a fun downhill too. More twisty. About 5-6 miles long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    haha....fine by me.

Anybody planning on going Kulani this week? I plan on going to waterfall again tomorrow. I can't get enough of that super fast downhill.
    What time? I'll probably meet you there.

I Ride Bikes
    Not sure. I gotta watch my kids till my wife gets home. Maybe 4:30. Don't have to wait for me. Just go and ride.

I Ride Bikes
    I'm headed up there now.

I Ride Bikes
    waterfall was fun today until I got a flat rear tire. My first flat EVER! I just started heading down the hill too. I think I hit one of the first whoops and when I landed I knew I had a flat after a couple of seconds. The worst part is that I left my spare tube and patch kit in my other backpack. It was getting kinda late so I knew I had to get down quickly before it got too dark. It's a good thing I'm a runner......but it sucked running down a hill with a bike and heavy shoes with stiff soles. I felt like I was going to fall flat on my face at any moment. My rear wheel is pretty banged up too now. When I was changing the tire tonight I noticed a lot of new gouges and shiny metal around it. Oh well, it's a mountain bike, it's supposed to get banged up. If it ain't banged up, you must not be mountain biking....right? Anyways I learned a valuable lesson. You should only have ONE biking backpack with a spare tube in it at all times. I hope you guys had a better ride session than me today.

If I can, I might attack the hill again tomorrow. I want redemption.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ^^^That sucks. I know that feeling, that's a long way to walk the bike.

I Ride Bikes
    yeah if I walked it would have been dark for sure by the time I got to the bottom. On the bright side it only took me 42 minutes to get to the top. That's a 9 minute improvement from the last time I did that climb (Tuesday). I was definitely feeling the burn today.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Monstah Thundah Legs brah!
    Yeah, one thing I learned on a flat years ago was ALWAYS carry a spare tube, especially when riding with sun going down.
    Whete did I learn this lesson?
    Kulani, with the sun going down and flat tube came out and wrapped around my cogs like a giant rubber band.
    FML
    That place is not a place to get lost in, LOL!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Gonna have to start putting weights on Carbon Boys bike to keep things even.

mtbr member
    waterfall was fun today until I got a flat rear tire. My first flat EVER! I just started heading down the hill too. I think I hit one of the first whoops and when I landed I knew I had a flat after a couple of seconds. The worst part is that I left my spare tube and patch kit in my other backpack. It was getting kinda late so I knew I had to get down quickly before it got too dark. It's a good thing I'm a runner......but it sucked running down a hill with a bike and heavy shoes with stiff soles. I felt like I was going to fall flat on my face at any moment. My rear wheel is pretty banged up too now. When I was changing the tire tonight I noticed a lot of new gouges and shiny metal around it. Oh well, it's a mountain bike, it's supposed to get banged up. If it ain't banged up, you must not be mountain biking....right? Anyways I learned a valuable lesson. You should only have ONE biking backpack with a spare tube in it at all times. I hope you guys had a better ride session than me today.

If I can, I might attack the hill again tomorrow. I want redemption.
    Whoa wow, that's total bummer. Been there, done that. Back in the days when CO2 first started coming out. I stopped carrying a pump. Was riding without a pump. Got two pinch flats. Only had enough cartridges to partially fill the two tires. I was hauling a$$ to try and catch the other guys to "borrow" pump. I pinch flatted AGAIN. Had to start running........Finally caught up with them and changed another tube.

That being said, Mazu, alright to have more than one pack. Just make sure you get supplies in each so you don't have to walk (run). I hate having to walk my bike out, that's why I put my tool kit together so I think I can always get my bike rolling again.

Have fixed busted chains, gears, handlebars, seats, seat posts........The list is long but the stories and adventures priceless. Be safe to ride another day.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bambiker
    Aug 2012

Kulani Saturday?

Is anyone going to Kulani Saturday? If so, what time?

I Ride Bikes
    Gmats- awesome pack you got there. Thanks for sharing.

I Ride Bikes
    Hey so where we going this Sunday?

I Ride Bikes
    Headed to waterfalls.

I Ride Bikes
    Waterfall was nice today. I got there pretty late and started riding at around 5:40. I still made it the top by the big flood gate thingy. It took me 38 minutes from where I parked my truck to the top! Yes! My goal was 40 minutes so I was pretty stoked.

I also started working on my bike for some night riding. I grabbed my Surefire flashlight and some zip-ties....

Voila!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hitting up either Kalopa or Volcano Escape Road tomorrow (Thur.) weather permitting. I know it's a long shot, but if anyone else wants to ride, let me know. This weekend is supposed to rain, so I'm geting my groove on when I can.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Aikane, Escape Road park right by the corner of Volcano Charter school. Go across highway to gate, take short trail to main trail(Escape Road). Go left. Going right takes you to Chain of Crater Road.
    After Thurston Lava tube, there's a gate. Fom there it's downhill bliss and gets steeper as you go for about a mile and a half, becareful because at the bottom is another gate that comes up really faaast if you are blazing the steep part. From there is another 3 miles or so of twisty fun downhill with some nice speed jump offs. When you get to the bottom go to the end of the road, to the right is a trail that is almost like a paved road that goes to the cool pu'u ( hill) that has a cool path up o the top that has a killer view of all the volcanoes. Nice techie hill by the way. On the right side at the end of the road is a nice short bermy pathy that is fun to try to get fast on and it goes to the lava field that has some really nice features, mini craters, mushrooms, etc. I wish I could join you. Have fun, be safe be ause it is very isolated.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    I must be dyslexic, I meant to the left is the pu'u, to the right is the mini craters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Cool, thanks Honolii. Probably gonna pack some Spam musubis and make an expedition out of it.

I Ride Bikes
    Awesome...go get em aikane! I wish I could join you, but I'm out of commission for awhile. Have fun!

I Ride Bikes
    Hey Honolii29, when I'm all healed up I want to head out to escape road with you guys. Sounds like a fun place.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Aikane, pure natural Mother Nature bliss! I love that ride, from rainforest down to young raw lava. If you taking your time, bring camera for sure. Usually see Nenes down at the end. At the top of the pu'u, Holy Smokes! On a clear day you can see Mauna Loa, Kilauea/Halemaumau, Pu'u O' , down to the ocean. Surreal seeing the smoke coming out from the two active vents.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Awesome...go get em aikane! I wish I could join you, but I'm out of commission for awhile. Have fun!
    Maz, I just saw your road rash thread.........sucks. I hope it isn't hindering you too much. Anyway, heal up quickly so you can get back on the trails.

I Ride Bikes
    I noticed today at work that my cuts start to sting when I start to sweat. oh well. I can't do anything about it. I still have 3 more days of work left in the week too. I can't wait for Sunday!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Honeymoon with bikes on Hawaii

Hi all...
    my husband and me we are going to visit the Hawaiian Islands (Big Island, Molokai and Kauai) from Oct.14th to Nov.1st. We are planning to explore these Islands only by bikes. As we are from Austria and it has been proved that bringing with us our own mountain bikes ist too difficult we are going to rent bikes.
    So first of all - despite of bike works kona - what other rent services you can recommend on the other Islands.
    Big Island will be a our challenge - we are planning to climb up Mauna Kea - what experiences do you have going there by bikes....?
    We have so many questions on the one side on the other we are not planning everything into detail but prefer deciding spontaneously.....
    looking forward your valuable tipps.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by k9601143 View Post

Hi all...
    my husband and me we are going to visit the Hawaiian Islands (Big Island, Molokai and Kauai) from Oct.14th to Nov.1st. We are planning to explore these Islands only by bikes. As we are from Austria and it has been proved that bringing with us our own mountain bikes ist too difficult we are going to rent bikes.
    So first of all - despite of bike works kona - what other rent services you can recommend on the other Islands.
    Big Island will be a our challenge - we are planning to climb up Mauna Kea - what experiences do you have going there by bikes....?
    We have so many questions on the one side on the other we are not planning everything into detail but prefer deciding spontaneously.....
    looking forward your valuable tipps.....
    Hi, welcome to the forums. Your honeymoon trip sounds like fun.

Here are some shops on Kauai....
    KAUAI CYCLE - Bicycle Sales, Rentals, & Repair
    Outfitters Kauai

For Molokai.....
    Molokai Bicycle - Home

Give us a schedule as to when and where you will be, and maybe some of us can show you around the local riding spots.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Some views from today, Volcano escape road.

Do you see a face in this rock, too?

I Ride Bikes
    yep, I see a face with scraggly short hair on top. cool pic

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

wow.....

..that looks amazing....and thanks for the informations.....

we will arrive in Kona on Oct.15th and are planning to stay on Big Island for about 5-6 days.... afterwards we would like to move to Molokai and finally after some days there to Kauai... all in all we are not booking the interisland flights in advance, because we prefer to be flexible...
    in general we are quite experience in mountainbiking because we are biking quite often in Austria... what would be challenging in Hawaii is that we are travelling with all our baggage (backpacks)...

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Awesome Aikane! So how was? Do a write up! I like hearing other's perspectives.
    Mazu, of course you coming when we bomb that hill again, cause I know you can horse it up and we can then do the full ride around the crater and to ????

mtbr member

we will arrive in Kona on Oct.15th and are planning to stay on Big Island for about 5-6 days.... afterwards we would like to move to Molokai and finally after some days there to Kauai... all in all we are not booking the interisland flights in advance, because we prefer to be flexible...
    in general we are quite experience in mountainbiking because we are biking quite often in Austria... what would be challenging in Hawaii is that we are travelling with all our baggage (backpacks)...
    Aloha, Sorry I am so late in replying back to you guys. I live on the Big Island in Waimea (Parker Ranch area). When you get here, are you planning to camp? You are planning to ride your bike around the island and explore?

When you get here, how are you getting down to Kona to Bikeworks for the rental? The guys there are really nice, I ride with them from time to time.

Riding up Mauna Kea is a great challenge. The top is about 4200 meters.

When you get here, PM me, maybe we can hook up and share some stories.

Have safe travels here.

Aloha,
    g

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ...Aikane: those pictures are SICK! You should post it on the "Passion" threads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Will you have transportation other than the bikes? The Big Island is about 160km from Kona to the other major city, Hilo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah, Escape Road was fun. Not as steep as I was expecting, but the s-turns were nice. Would be cool to race side-by-side through the turns, dual slalom style. Gotta watch out for the horse patties. Passed a couple hiking trails that allow bikes along the way, might be worth checking out. Scenery at the bottom made the climb back out worth it.

I Ride Bikes

We should try and set-up a ride with you folks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Okay I was riding Kalopa on my hardtail on Friday, yes I tend to do that from time to time. As I was coming down perimeter trail through the lower/flowy section, I thought it would be cool to have a hardtail ride off. We do timed runs, either down Perimeter or back down jeep road (we can have look outs to make sure there are no hikers coming up). Either bring your hardtail or suffer a time penalty for riding full suspension. And I don't mean we add time to your run, you have to wait at the top for your penalty to click off the clock before you can start downhill just like bracket racing. I was thinking maybe 10 second penalty for 100mm and another 2.5 seconds for every 10mm beyond that. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    Okay I was riding Kalopa on my hardtail on Friday, yes I tend to do that from time to time. As I was coming down perimeter trail through the lower/flowy section, I thought it would be cool to have a hardtail ride off. We do timed runs, either down Perimeter or back down jeep road (we can have look outs to make sure there are no hikers coming up). Either bring your hardtail or suffer a time penalty for riding full suspension. And I don't mean we add time to your run, you have to wait at the top for your penalty to click off the clock before you can start downhill just like bracket racing. I was thinking maybe 10 second penalty for 100mm and another 2.5 seconds for every 10mm beyond that. What do you guys think?
    Wow, that's a great idea though I don't even own a hardtail anymore. Closest thing I have is a fully rigid Klein, 1985 vintage but it is set up as my commuter with fenders and all. Can I minus time for running fully rigid and fenders?

You scared me there, I thought you were going to say you crashed up there. Phew!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post

You scared me there, I thought you were going to say you crashed up there. Phew!!
    Well actually I did, but no trees were harmed in the incident.
    Wow, rigid has to be worth a 20 second headstart and a box of "Salonpas".

I Ride Bikes
    what if we just lockout the rear suspension? would that be sufficient?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    what if we just lockout the rear suspension? would that be sufficient?
    Um................................................ ...........no. And carbon is good for an additional penalty.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    what happens if we crash?

I Ride Bikes
    we should do the ride off at night! Then guarantee no mo hikers. Probably just plenty obake. Will probably make me ride faster knowing that there are ghosts chasing me down the trail.

mtbr member
    Um................................................ ...........no. And carbon is good for an additional penalty.

Haha! That's funny.

I also remember out in Crested Butte they used to have a chainless race. You start at the top of a hill. Remove your chain and have to coast all the way back to town.

Or......Hey, we should build up coaster brake bikes.........Back to old school. Oh, some of you guys not old enough to remember riding coaster brake bikes off road

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Haha! That's funny.

I also remember out in Crested Butte they used to have a chainless race. You start at the top of a hill. Remove your chain and have to coast all the way back to town.

Or......Hey, we should build up coaster brake bikes.........Back to old school. Oh, some of you guys not old enough to remember riding coaster brake bikes off road
    If I had to choose, I would go coaster. Riding without the chain can really mess up your balance if you are not concentrating. With the coaster you just have to remember not to back spin the pedals.

I Ride Bikes
    Man I can't wait to get back on my bike. The healing process is going alright so far. The cut on the back of my forearm is still kinda nasty looking. The rest of me is looking pretty good though. The road rash is pretty much healed up and flaking off like dead skin. I think I'm going to have a nasty scar from this though.

mtbr member
    Man I can't wait to get back on my bike. The healing process is going alright so far. The cut on the back of my forearm is still kinda nasty looking. The rest of me is looking pretty good though. The road rash is pretty much healed up and flaking off like dead skin. I think I'm going to have a nasty scar from this though.
    Battle scars bro. Remember the scene from the movie Jaws? Them drunks sitting around comparing their scars........

Bambiker
    Aug 2012

... and if we just ...

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever"
    -- Keanu Reeves, Movie: The Replacements.

Bambiker
    Aug 2012

Smile

Night would definitely even out the playing field. You definitely need good bike handling skills to be quick on a hard tail.

I would need to borrow your bike for a run or two.

I Ride Bikes
    Yeah I only have 2 months of experience under my belt. The first trail I ever rode in my life was Kulani on 7/22. So we need to figure out a way to even out the playing field. I'll probably still come in last though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well, I was just joking about the time penalties and didn't mean to make it out to be a competition. I would be interested in having riders do the same trail on both their FS bike and a hardtail they felt comfortable riding. I would like to see what the differences would be.

I Ride Bikes
    Let's see, on my FS I would crash maybe 1 or 2 times. On a HT I would crash 4-5 times....maybe more. lol.

I think I might be ready to ride again. If I have time I might go up to waterfall tomorrow for a easy ride. Test out my shoulder and my knee.

mtbr member
    Well, I was just joking about the time penalties and didn't mean to make it out to be a competition. I would be interested in having riders do the same trail on both their FS bike and a hardtail they felt comfortable riding. I would like to see what the differences would be.
    I started out riding in the 80's with fully rigid, no real low gears and crappy brakes and tires.

The biggest difference for sure is you use your whole body to absorb a lot of the bumps. Tires were smaller so we had to have them inflated more. That meant we were using our arms, legs and body to absorb everything and have good timing with the putting the power down. While going down hill because of the tires and brakes, we used a lot more forearms to control the speed. This meant the forearms would BURN big time!

One thing hasn't changed. No shortage of smiles.

I Ride Bikes
    ^^^and that's why your such a badass on the bike.

Stairs Ninja!!

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    I second the 80's. They gave us bio-pace rings that was just hype, cantilever brakes that you could sqeeze all your might and the cable just stretches while the brakes laugh at you, nutted on cranks that would come loose, everything rigid, thumb shifters with no ergonomics, tires that no grip, 1" headtube with headset old style long bolt you could crank as hard as you like an the stem would still go crooked when you hit a tree, etc. But never stopped us from having fun and just like you guys today, Just Ride.
    No way I could ride a bike from then in the trails today, LOL! The best inmovation in my opinion from the 80's was the Hite-Rite seatpost spring, the grandfatjer of today's dropper post. It worked but dang thing looked ugly like a giant clothespin on your seatpost. LOL!

I Ride Bikes
    I'm strongly considering going tubeless. Should I do it?

live long and huck
    I'm strongly considering going tubeless. Should I do it?
    Can't speak for your area Mazukea, but I've been tubeless in AZ on 3 bikes for about 2 years and love it. Where I ride is full of sharp rocks and cactus, I ride very aggressively (read pick crappy lines and plow into everything) and have had only 2 flats that required me to install a tube to get home. I've had a couple of slow leaks where I had to pop the bead and add some Stans, but then they sealed up. I run about the same psi as I used to run tubed, but you still have better tire compliance/ride feel because there is no tube /tire friction and you don't have the extra rubber in there. I would highly recommend that you give tubeless a try, I will not go back.
    Low and slack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    When I returned to mtb'ing this year, after a ten year hiatus, I was blown away by how much the industry has advanced. Especially in suspension and frame design. But still there is an important place for hardtails, I feel. Sometimes, simpler is better.

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Can't speak for your area Mazukea, but I've been tubeless in AZ on 3 bikes for about 2 years and love it. Where I ride is full of sharp rocks and cactus, I ride very aggressively (read pick crappy lines and plow into everything) and have had only 2 flats that required me to install a tube to get home. I've had a couple of slow leaks where I had to pop the bead and add some Stans, but then they sealed up. I run about the same psi as I used to run tubed, but you still have better tire compliance/ride feel because there is no tube /tire friction and you don't have the extra rubber in there. I would highly recommend that you give tubeless a try, I will not go back.

thanks for your input. I've been dwelling on this for about a month or so. Today my LBS told me that they found my tubeless stems that came with my bike. So I'm starting to lean a bit heavier on the tubeless side. I'm going to have them do it for me if I go tubeless since the price is cheap and they have a billion times more experience than me. yes, a billion.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Just Do It.
    Anthem Boy and I are converting our existing wheels gettho style tubeless. I'm just trying to find a source for Orange Seal tubeless sealant rather than Stans as the reviews has been promising.
    Will be in Kona for the weekend so will be scouting shops there.

I Ride Bikes
    Well I just ordered new tires last night. I'm gonna do it! I've been reading a lot of threads about tubeless and there seems to be more pros than cons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone wanna ride Kalopa this weekend?

I Ride Bikes
    I might be available this Sunday.

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    Sunday at Kalopa sounds good. 8:30?

Tubeless for sure if you're prone to pinch flatting or love low pressure. My last two bikes have been tubeless, only one set of rims is tubeless specific. Since there's not much hard pack dirt single track around here tubeless should be great for everything here.
    I ran only high pressure tubed in Texas. My ride buddies always said I ran too high a pressure. I didn't appreciate low pressure until I started riding here. It's great for sticking to the trail when climbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasrullo View Post
    Sunday at Kalopa sounds good. 8:30?
    Yeah, that will work. Ran into Maz at Kulani this afternoon, and discussed it with him. So it looks to be you, Maz, and myself right now.

I Ride Bikes
    Aikane, thanks for showing me more of the trails today. I think I finally have a few of them memorized. Right after you left I went back in and did the Quarry trail again. I wanted to redeem myself and conquer the "pit" that I stumbled over. I made it through unscathed. Then I just rode up to the junction and took the left back to the Quarry.

Aikane really is the hardtail master. He rode that bike like it was FS. I was impressed.

Anyways, I'll see you mtb freaks at Kalopa tomorrow at 8:30.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Haha,.........."Mazu's Pit"..........I like the sound of it.

I Ride Bikes
    wake up and start loading up your gear! I hope the weather is nice to us today!

live long and huck
    I've watched the videos, viewed the pics, done the Google searches, I'd love to ride the Islands. Maybe next year I can swing a week vacation. Enjoy your day.
    Low and slack.

I Ride Bikes
    Haha,.........."Mazu's Pit"..........I like the sound of it.

It just sucks me in.

Whenever I come around that corner and see the "pit", I always think about my very first ride there...actually it was my very first trail ever. After I hit the pit and went over my handlebars I told myself, "wake up!, this is ain't the little kid's ride anymore." That's when i got hooked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I've watched the videos, viewed the pics, done the Google searches, I'd love to ride the Islands. Maybe next year I can swing a week vacation. Enjoy your day.
    Yeah, if you ever make it to the Big Island give us a holler. We'll show you around the local trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Kalopa was in descent condition, just enough moisture on the ground to keep you on your toes. At least we got to spend some time in the sunshine as opposed to being back in Hilo.

Maz making his third attempt at the rutted, washed out section near the top of jeep road. He came a pedal stroke short of making it all the way on his first try.

2 pigs/ 1 goat..........haha.

I Ride Bikes
    OPTIMUS - Yeah just let us know whenever you come to the B.I. and we would be glad to show you some of the trails around here.

I Ride Bikes
    Kalopa was fun today. Aikane busted out his Hardtail. He was kicking butt on that bike. It was a little bit damp today. Not too muddy, just enough to let you know it was going to be slippery.

Aikane's HT

The top of Jeep Trail

I almost made it...

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    Cool pictures! I wish I could have made it to the second loop. It was good to ride with you guys again.

I Ride Bikes
    Same here.
    Take it easy!

mtbr member
    Cool pictures! I wish I could have made it to the second loop. It was good to ride with you guys again.
    Likewise, great pictures. Yes, I've been there with all that gooey stuff. Wish I could have ridden too, was chasing the white ball around playing pasture pool. Made some money too so not that bad. Can't wait to get back to the trails though.

Look forward to riding this coming weekend. Got my fork back from the shop, can't wait to get it back on the bike and out riding. Take care, be safe this week and see some of yous guys out on the trails.

I Ride Bikes
    Gmats you riding kalopa this Sunday?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ok I'm gonna toss this out and see what bites....................Kaloko.

I figure we can leave early enough, meet up with Gmats and Jonas along the way and still be there by 8:30'ish. Should be enough time to get in a good ride, catch lunch on the way home, and be back before 2pm. Any thoughts?
    Not looking at the immediate future, but would be nice somewhere down the road.

mtbr member
    Gmats you riding kalopa this Sunday?
    I don't know yet. I'm up for some kind of ride Sunday. Seems better for many people. I miss riding as I played golf all this past weekend. Looking forward to some kind of ride this weekend.

Ok I'm gonna toss this out and see what bites....................Kaloko.

I figure we can leave early enough, meet up with Gmats and Jonas along the way and still be there by 8:30'ish. Should be enough time to get in a good ride, catch lunch on the way home, and be back before 2pm. Any thoughts?
    Not looking at the immediate future, but would be nice somewhere down the road.
    Hey, that'd be great, I'd be happy to set up something. If we do a little shuttle, we can do some pretty awesome stuff! This weekend can work too.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Yes, I like do Kaloko too.
    This weekend is out for me as its my wife's birthday and I'm taking her away.
    But don't let that stop you guys!
    We're actually going to hike Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a, so I'll be scoping it also if it's bikeable. They have something like 8 miles of trail.

I Ride Bikes
    Kaloko would be fun. I'm down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolii29 View Post
    Yes, I like do Kaloko too.
    This weekend is out for me as its my wife's birthday and I'm taking her away.
    But don't let that stop you guys!
    We're actually going to hike Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a, so I'll be scoping it also if it's bikeable. They have something like 8 miles of trail.
    Puuwaawaa looks promising, not sure if bikes are allowed though. I was looking at some of those dirt roads that have the hunters checking stations as well. Some look like they might be fun, ride as far up the hills as you can then bomb the dirt road back down.

I Ride Bikes
    N.U.T.S.

BACKWARDS

FUN

that is all.

Bambiker
    Aug 2012

Good job! Kaloko Ride Sunday

I may be up for Kaloko Sunday. I'm feeling better every day. I just won't be doing any free riding tricks.
    I'll check in again Saturday to be sure. If I can go, I'll be glad to shuttle. Isn't there a crossroads in the middle somewhere where the trail goes across north a bit? Maybe I could shuttle some riders up and then ride from the bottom to the crossroads for a crosscountry bit before coming back down. Or, I could just have no idea what I'm talking about.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I may be up for Kaloko Sunday. I'm feeling better every day. I just won't be doing any free riding tricks.
    I'll check in again Saturday to be sure. If I can go, I'll be glad to shuttle. Isn't there a crossroads in the middle somewhere where the trail goes across north a bit? Maybe I could shuttle some riders up and then ride from the bottom to the crossroads for a crosscountry bit before coming back down. Or, I could just have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Freeride tricks huh, is that what we're calling it? I thought you were showing off your trail-gymnastic skills. The slow motion somersault endo was very cool, but the tree grab dismount could use a little work. Haha. But seriously, I'm glad the shoulder is doing well.

Sucks though, as I will probably be unable to ride this weekend.

I Ride Bikes
    Kulani tomorrow afternoon?

I Ride Bikes
    Good to hear. I thought you were trying to show me up by breaking a tree with your arm like me. Sorry, but your tree didn't break. I'm still winning.

nah I'm happy you're feeling better. I was a little bit scared for moment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Kulani tomorrow afternoon?
    What time?

I Ride Bikes
    If I get off of work on time, then 4 oclock. Maybe 3:45 if I make like speed racer.

I Ride Bikes
    But if you want to go earlier then don't wait for me. Just ride! I'll try and find you in the labyrinth of Kulani. Thanks to you, Darin, and Dave, I'm starting to learn my way around there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sounds good.

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    Freeride tricks huh, is that what we're calling it? I thought you were showing off your trail-gymnastic skills. The slow motion somersault endo was very cool, but the tree grab dismount could use a little work. Haha. But seriously, I'm glad the shoulder is doing well.

Sucks though, as I will probably be unable to ride this weekend.
    Well Maz did say to show him how it's done. I guess I misinterpreted.

mtbr member
    Good to hear. I thought you were trying to show me up by breaking a tree with your arm like me. Sorry, but your tree didn't break. I'm still winning.

nah I'm happy you're feeling better. I was a little bit scared for moment.
    Whoa, you guys are funny. Jonas, I didn't know you tried to ninja-turtle a tree like Mazu did. Glad you're OK (or getting better).

I Ride Bikes
    Well Maz did say to show him how it's done. I guess I misinterpreted.
    Funny, cause I actually did tell you that when I let you pass me. Crazy.

I Ride Bikes
    Aikane- I probably can't ride today. Looks like my day just got longer. Plus I gotta check out my rear hub/free hub. It's making strange grinding noises.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Oh oh, that doesn't sound good. I can't ride either. It's probably gonna be a mud bog anyway.

I Ride Bikes
    yup my freehub is thrashed. Chris @Bike Hub took a look at it and he agreed. Junk part is that the new warranty hubs wont be available for 2 weeks. Then they gotta ship it here. Depending on when I get this fixed, I might have to miss the Mana Rd ride.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10