Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    thanks Gmats,

I'll give mountain road cycle a call the morning to see what they have available for rent.
    Do you know where i can find more info on that trail, I'd like to know how much time i'll need for it and also do I need a map? Any more recommendation?
    Thanks again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKmtb View Post
    thanks Gmats,

I'll give mountain road cycle a call the morning to see what they have available for rent.
    Do you know where i can find more info on that trail, I'd like to know how much time i'll need for it and also do I need a map? Any more recommendation?
    Thanks again
    I don't know where you can find more info on the trails other than the old map that is located at the cabin area before you start the ride.

My basic route almost always starts at the main trail head across from the big map posted. You'll see it when you're there. Take the main route and climb straight up the middle trail (Jeep). When you get to the top, go right. This is the Perimeter trail. It will essentially go clockwise down and eventually loop back around to intersect the jeep trail. Climb back up the jeep trail, take a left and do the Gulch trail Counter-Clockwise down. You can either take the gulch trail all the way down to the bottom of the park or take Blue Gum (left turn) and head back over to the Jeep Trail. Get it? If you keep hitting the Jeep trail, you climb straight up and take advantage of the winding trails descending.

Here's a GPS track from a ride I did while back.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/embed/342741998

P.S. - This particular GPS track we ended up riding the Nature Loop trail for bonus. All in all, lots of fun, rooted riding.

Also, if you're FB, there's a Big Island Mountain Biking FB page.............We've posted lots of pictures and stuff from Big Island Mountain biking there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks, your gps track is really helpful. It look pretty straight forward as mtb trails go. Your track show a moving time of 1:17 hrs is that sound about right for doing both side once?
    I'm trying to figure out how many days I'll be renting a bike for and I'm finding very little info on line about mtb trail. what other trail would you recommend? I'm up for some driving around if it worth it. Also I'll be driving to the volcano with the family and my wife allow me to squeeze in one ride if there is something nearby for her and the kids to do. Same thing, it look like there is some good trail around that part of the island but I'm not finding enough detail. Is it worth taking a bike up there? How can I find direction to trails head? Is it worth getting the mtb trail guide, mountain biking the Hawaiian island?
    Thanks again for all your help

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I see the forum is slow over here but I will be moving to the Big Island soon. I can scour here but I'd like to know, is the Island primarily Cross Country trail or more All-Mountain? Just thinking I could leave a bike behind depending on type of trails. BTW, I know theres a lot of lava rock, are you guys using Stans or Slime? I know in cactus regions slime seems to hold up better. Thanks all and hope to see you on trail soon.
    Life is like a ten speed bike. Most of us have
    gears we never use. - Charles Monroe Schulz

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by et3surge View Post
    I see the forum is slow over here but I will be moving to the Big Island soon. I can scour here but I'd like to know, is the Island primarily Cross Country trail or more All-Mountain? Just thinking I could leave a bike behind depending on type of trails. BTW, I know theres a lot of lava rock, are you guys using Stans or Slime? I know in cactus regions slime seems to hold up better. Thanks all and hope to see you on trail soon.
    Cross country/trail will suffice. Mostly technical stuff, very little gravity stuff. Stans works very well here.
    If you are on Facebook, look up Big Island Mountain Biking.

I Ride Bikes
    yep, we are very active on facebook.

BIG ISLAND MOUNTAIN BIKING

Come find us there.

I agree that most of the trails here are XC type. So you can leave behind your 200mm travel downhill bike.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hey all. I'll be on the Big Island in March, splitting time b/t Kona and North Kohala. I want to get a little riding in if possible, preferably while in Kohala and preferably not needing to drive to ride.

From looking at google maps, I saw many jeep roads between the highway and the coast along Akoni Puli Hway. Anyone ever ride there? Is it private land? Is there any singletrack in that area?

Thanks for any input/advice.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    mikeynets, this thread is kinda dead. We divert visitors to Big Island Mountain Bikinig on Facebook. Get on , request add, and I'll add you. Lots more info and easier to set up a ride in there.
    Hiking is good for you, especially with a bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolii29 View Post
    mikeynets, this thread is kinda dead. We divert visitors to Big Island Mountain Bikinig on Facebook. Get on , request add, and I'll add you. Lots more info and easier to set up a ride in there.
    Bike forums are the extent of my social media footprint. I could hack my wife's account to have a look at the page though. Thanks.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Donut?
    Hiking is good for you, especially with a bike.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27