Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by SedonaGnarlyCrew View Post
    I'm game...are you going to be on the Kona side???
    I'm going to be on Kona and staying at the Grand Wailea. I'm working on renting a bike from MountainRoadCycles in Waimea. I have zero clue where I'll be riding and hoping some of the cats in this thread can either take me for a tour or show me where to ride. I'm looking for some nice technical chunk and some fast flowing trails. Will you have a bike?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I'm going to be on Kona and staying at the Grand Wailea. I'm working on renting a bike from MountainRoadCycles in Waimea. I have zero clue where I'll be riding and hoping some of the cats in this thread can either take me for a tour or show me where to ride. I'm looking for some nice technical chunk and some fast flowing trails. Will you have a bike?
    Dude, Grand Wailea is on Maui. You sure about that?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    Dude, Grand Wailea is on Maui. You sure about that?
    Nope!

Its the Hilton Waikoloa . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Mtn Biker
    Jan 2013
    Sounda good...I have friend in Waimea and will try and track him down and see what he knows...I have a 29er hard tail that lives on the Island, so that will be what I will ride...it usually has slicks on her, but I do have a set of knobbies waiting to be used...

I Ride Bikes
    I wish I could ride with you folks when you guys visit. I don't think I can get a day off of work during the week. I hope you guys have an awesome ride down to Makalawena. It's a beautiful beach. You might just want to go for a swim.

I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

Mtn Biker
    Jan 2013
    My favorite place on the Big Island...still almost untouched for the last 30 years...Thanks for the pic...I will be on the Island on Monday and leave Feb 14...so if you are up for a ride on one of those weekends...count me in...cheers

I Ride Bikes
    Sounds like you haven't tried out the mountain biking on the east side. You willing to head out this way for a ride?

Mtn Biker
    Jan 2013
    Generally I stay on the Kona side because I don't often have car access...but I did see the bus has a bike rack...so I may be able to take care of logistics that way...

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Riding China camp and Henry Coe before going to Santa Cruz again. Still, miss those trails.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I Ride Bikes
    Generally I stay on the Kona side because I don't often have car access...but I did see the bus has a bike rack...so I may be able to take care of logistics that way...
    Have you ever ridden in Kulani? Fun singletrack. Rooty, slippery, and techy at times.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you do figure a way over to the east-side, or even Waimea, let us know and we can meet up and get you to a trail. Sundays are the best bet.

Bambiker
    Aug 2012

Sunday riding

Anyone riding Sunday? I'll be on the road Saturday, but I should be free Sunday for the dirt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I am in Hilo until 28 Feb. I am 53 years young. Riding regularly for 5 years. I am REALLY excited to ride here after looking at the local terrain today. Good in technical, OK with climbing and enjoy DH and XC. I will rent a bike for 2 or 3 days. It would be a pleasure to ride with anyone, any skill level.I need to rent, if you can recommend a local business. Please PM me if you would like to join/lead. Available any day/time. Cheers, Ron.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi y'all. I am back from my triathalon around the World tour. I am on layover for a couple weeks rest.
    Neato! This thread has bloomed since I have posted last time. I just can't imagine the level of riding everyone must be doing now. Do y'all still ride together? Any new girl riders? When is the next group ride?
    I hope to hear from y'all soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialutz View Post
    Hi y'all. I am back from my triathalon around the World tour. I am on layover for a couple weeks rest.
    Neato! This thread has bloomed since I have posted last time. I just can't imagine the level of riding everyone must be doing now. Do y'all still ride together? Any new girl riders? When is the next group ride?
    I hope to hear from y'all soon.
    Wow! Yeah! That's such great news. Welcome back Specialutz. How was the world wide triathalon tour? Some day we have to hear all about it. Wondered what happened to you.

Yes, the merry band of dysfuncitonal family members still get together and ride most weekends. We have weekends where people can or can't make but there's always something happening. We've had adventures out to various places around the island. We've had occasional show ups by other girls riding. Look forward to riding and hearing of the stories out there.

You on FB? We have a Big Island Mountain Biking FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/268404617743/

Aloha,
    g

I Ride Bikes
    Welcome back S-lutz! I can't wait to hear about your World Tri Tour. I also can't wait to see you out on the trails with us. =)

gumbies need lovin' too
    Greetings from Alaska...
    Visited the Big Island in December and had an amazing time. Got a lot of helpful trail info from this thread. Just wanted to thank all the folks who do the hard work to maintain these trails. Hope to be back next year.

mtbr member
    Aloha Brain,

Awesome video, great post! Bummed we missed you guys and riding with you. I remember walking through the Parker Ranch Shopping Center parking lot in front of Starbucks and seeing your van and the fat bikes on the back. I was blown away and was wondering who owned those bikes. I even looked around a bit wondering if someone was watching me check the bikes out. Looks like you had the right bikes for the varied terrain we have here. Love the old school thumb shifters, I'm still running those on my bike(s).

Out in Kalopa looked like you climbed the Jeep to Blue Gum and then climbed the Gulch Trail a bit. Also looks like you found Jurassic and Pig Skull out in Kaloko. Great!

Look forward to your return. Give us a jingle when you get back, it'd be nice to hook up with you and do some riding. I'd love to see what a fatbike feels like on trails.

gumbies need lovin' too
    "Aloha Brain,

Awesome video, great post! Bummed we missed you guys and riding with you. I remember walking through the Parker Ranch Shopping Center parking lot in front of Starbucks and seeing your van and the fat bikes on the back. I was blown away and was wondering who owned those bikes. I even looked around a bit wondering if someone was watching me check the bikes out. Looks like you had the right bikes for the varied terrain we have here. Love the old school thumb shifters, I'm still running those on my bike(s)."

Thanks gmats, glad you liked the video and the bikes! In fact, I might have seen you as I was going back into Starbucks. My wife was doing some work related emails inside and I had just picked up some extra propane canisters next door. No worries, I'm used to folks checking the fatties out. People are always curious about them, and more than a few have been unable to resist giving the tires a quick squeeze/grope. I hear you on the thumb shifters, I've tried triggers and grip shift, but nothing feels as good as a pair of thumbies.

I'll definitely let you know in advance if we go again next year. It would be great to ride with some local folks. And if you ever find yourself up North, we have some great trails that I'd be happy to show off.

mtbr member
    Aloha Brain,

Another great video, very entertaining. Great music too. Yes, I'm still running 9 speed bar end shifters on my Paul's. Look forward to riding with you when you get back here. If you're on facebook, come find us on Big Island Mountain Biking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hey guys!

Im from alaska and will be visiting Kona for about a week In november. Would love to find some knowledge on trails around the area! Would be fun to ride with some locals! Im mainly a gravity rider, but am not afraid to put in a lot of climbing time to get a good DH run. Ill have access to an SUV and I will be checking my bike on the flight over. The pics in this thread look like the trails are a blast!!

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by piousdove View Post
    No doubt Hawaii is well known for beaches parties and fun but here i am taking about Hawaii as a big island trail. Last week i went with my friends for hiking to Kilauea as we already chosen it for the next fun last time. So friends i really enjoyed its an memorable adventure for all of us.
    I'm glad you had fun. The volcano area always has spectacular views and trails.

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by turborobo View Post
    Hey guys!

Im from alaska and will be visiting Kona for about a week In november. Would love to find some knowledge on trails around the area! Would be fun to ride with some locals! Im mainly a gravity rider, but am not afraid to put in a lot of climbing time to get a good DH run. Ill have access to an SUV and I will be checking my bike on the flight over. The pics in this thread look like the trails are a blast!!

Welcome!

Did you already pick out the dates for when you will be here? Maybe we can figure out a group ride to show you some of our trails. We don't really have "gravity" terrain here. I'm sure you will still have fun with the little trails that we do have. I can think of a couple of places that might interest you though. Kalopa State Park and Puuwaawaa. Kalopa has a short climb to the top, but coming back down is a blast. Lots of twists and turns and ups and downs. It's a great trail that everyone has fun on. Puuwaawaa is steeper climbing, but that just equals a faster downhill run. =)

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi guys,
    I will be in the big island for a family vacation next week (11/28 to 12/7), staying in Puako and traveling too the volcano for a couple days. I will be mostly enjoying my time with my kids but I'm considering renting a bike for a few days (best place seem to be bike works am I right?). Not having any idea what the trail around the island look like I will like to have some recommendation for the best bike to use, full sus. or hard tail? I'm riding a short travel full suspension bike. Also what are the must ride trail on that side of the island? I prefer fast cross-country lasting 1 to 3 hrs but I'm up for anything, I will have a car so I can travel some. I'll appreciate any info you guys can share with me and if it work out I'll be happy to join in for a ride.
    Thanks
    Stephan

ps. I'm french speaker so please excuse any mistake in my writing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKmtb View Post
    Hi guys,
    I will be in the big island for a family vacation next week (11/28 to 12/7), staying in Puako and traveling too the volcano for a couple days. I will be mostly enjoying my time with my kids but I'm considering renting a bike for a few days (best place seem to be bike works am I right?). Not having any idea what the trail around the island look like I will like to have some recommendation for the best bike to use, full sus. or hard tail? I'm riding a short travel full suspension bike. Also what are the must ride trail on that side of the island? I prefer fast cross-country lasting 1 to 3 hrs but I'm up for anything, I will have a car so I can travel some. I'll appreciate any info you guys can share with me and if it work out I'll be happy to join in for a ride.
    Thanks
    Stephan

ps. I'm french speaker so please excuse any mistake in my writing.
    Aloha Stephan,

You can rent from Bikeworks (Kona). Bikeworks Beach and Sport in Waikoloa can rent you a bike but I think the charge extra premium to bring it up from their Kona shop. Another alternative is to give Matt a call at Mountain Road Cycles. Here's the website.

Mountain Road Cycles

I think he rents Santa Cruz's.

You being in Puako, probably the best place for riding would be east of you about and hour's drive in Kalopa State Park. I might be riding out there on the 7th because I have another friend who'll be in town from Boise. If you're interested, let me know.

You being a French speaking person writing English trumps me attempting any kind of French speaking or writing.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast