Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Bambiker
    Aug 2012

Nice video.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    THE LAST RIDE of 2012
    Great ride, and cool video. I lost my wall climb shot. My camera must have died before I thought. I'll have a clip up hopefully by the end of the week.

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by darKnight57 View Post
    Mazukea, have you changed anything else on your bike? Mines trying to lose some weight

yes I have changed a few things. Some upgrades were upgrades from the original upgrade.

-New frame (*warranty - cracked frame)
    -New Fox rear shock w/Kashima coating (*warranty - came with the new frame)
    -Ritchey carbon handlebars
    -Ritchey WCS carbon stem (*warranty Ritchey upgraded it from the aluminum version)
    -Specialized BG Contour grips
    -Syntace carbon seat post
    -Candy 3 pedals
    -Chris King rear hub (*warranty - rear hub was failing after a couple of months.) I paid the difference because I didn't want the crappy Spec HiLo rear hub again. They said they improved the design for 2013 though. I just didn't want to take the chance.
    -Rebuilt rear wheel: new spokes/nipples (*warranty - had to be rebuilt because of the failed rear hub)
    -tubeless <---big weight savings here.
    -I bought the Specialized Carbon Henge saddle, but after I took a hard spill, it broke. So I'm back to my stock Henge.

I got both of these items as gifts from my wife:
    -2nd wheelset - Roval Control Trail SL
    -SRAM 1099-XG cassette

Original weight approx: 28.5 lbs
    Bike w/stock wheelset: 27.3 lbs.
    Bike w/Roval wheelset: 26.1 lbs

If I still had my carbon Henge saddle, then it would be under 26 lbs. Not bad for a 29er.

So yeah my bike has lost a little bit of weight.

If you want to lose weight, without losing lots of money, then go tubeless. Your wheels should be tubeless ready right? My wheels were. All I needed to buy was the Stan's. Chris at the Bike Hub still had my tubeless stems so I just got that from him. I also bought a new rear tire, cause I had a tear in it already. When I took out the tubes, I weighed them. They were almost half a pound each. So about 1 lb worth of rubber was removed. The Stan's stuff doesn't weigh that much cause you don't need to use a lot.

Stock:

Now (different pedals though)
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    That's some serious Upgaditis and Warrantilosis.
    Need go hospital!

mtbr member
    Wow Mazukea...maybe I should have asked what's still stock on your bike. That's a impressive list there! Besides going tubeless, what did you think was the best weight/cost item?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ho Brah, broken stem, broken hub, broken frame.....You know how for ride, or what?

I Ride Bikes
    They haven't invented a bike that can handle my power. that's what the experts told me. I believe them.

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by darKnight57 View Post
    Wow Mazukea...maybe I should have asked what's still stock on your bike. That's a impressive list there! Besides going tubeless, what did you think was the best weight/cost item?
    Well it's hard to beat the tubeless when it comes to Weight Savings/$$$

The Roval carbon wheelset was another big weight savings. Plus you can really notice it when you are riding and turning. Your bike feels lighter and more agile. Most other weight saving items don't do that. They make the bike lighter, but you can't tell.

The SRAM 1099 cassette was another big weight saver, BUT it's aint cheap. The stock SRAM 1050 cassette is over 400 grams. The 1099 comes in at 210 grams. So almost another half a pound of weight savings in just a tiny little thing.

Other than that I just got stuff that made my ride more comfortable. I wanted a longer stem so I bought an aluminum Ritchey WCS-c260 80mm stem. The shop accidently broke my stem when they were putting it on the new frame. They tried to fix it, but they couldn't. They were going to throw it away, but I decided to take it. I called up Ritchey and explained to them what happened. They told me to send it to them and they would take a look at it. Less than 2 weeks later a brand new Ritchey Carbon Matrix c260 stem is on my doorstep. That's a $50 upgrade!! Talk about customer service. Awesome.

The Specialized Contour Grips feel much better than the regular round grips too. I would recommend trying those out.

b a n n e d
    Yo Hawaii Island Peeps . . . . I'mma coming to your Island the first week in February and would love to hit some schweet single track while I'm there. Probably only have one day to ride, but would love a guide (I'll also need a bike but am happy to rent).

Whach you got?!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

I Ride Bikes
    Which side of the island will you be on?
    What days exactly will you be here?

There are places to rent bikes, but I believe the shop in Waimea has a nicer selection of FS bikes. Most of us are on the east side but we do travel the island too.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Oh Boy! The infamous MTBR's 007 will be coming to the Big Eye!
    Yeah, def we can set up a ride.
    When will you be here so we can set up dates.
    Where will you be, which side of the island?
    Renting, Maountain Cycles in Waimea. Matt Brasio has SC full supensions for rent, and I do beleive you ride an SC?
    Other than that, the more informations to specifics, the better we can plan.
    "From the shark infested blue waters, opihi laden rocks, and the Giant Manapuas covered Mauna Kea, to the raging lava flows of Kilauea, and cracked out Zombies of downtown Hilo, to the Orange County of Kailua-Kona....Welcome..to the BIG ISLAND OF HAWAIIIIIIII!!!!!"
    I think I heard that at a luau?

b a n n e d
    Feb 6 - 9th, Will be at the Hilton Waikoloa.

I assume you guys are in Hilo? This is really naive of me, but damn . . . its like 70 miles from Hilo to Waikoloa.

Edit, and yeah I ride a SC Blur LT. I'm going to check into the Waimea shop . . .

And infamous? Hopefully its for something other than being an ass . . .

b a n n e d
    Just emailed Moutainroadcyclery in Waimea about setting up a rental. Looking forward to it.

Riding wise, I'm not really into hucks/drops/jumps so much, but I like technical, chunky trails and really dig on fast, flowing rides. As for climbing, I'm not the fastest climber, but I'll get there

Edit: Thursday the 7th is the day for me I believe. Not much flexibility either unfortunately.

I Ride Bikes
    Sounds like Kalopa might be a good trail for you. It's only about a 30 minute drive from waikoloa. Some techy stuff that includes climbing and some fun flowy singletrack back down.

Kulani Trails on the east side would be fun for you too. If you take the saddle road from waikoloa, then it's about a 1 hour 20 minute drive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Just emailed Moutainroadcyclery in Waimea about setting up a rental. Looking forward to it.

Riding wise, I'm not really into hucks/drops/jumps so much, but I like technical, chunky trails and really dig on fast, flowing rides. As for climbing, I'm not the fastest climber, but I'll get there

Edit: Thursday the 7th is the day for me I believe. Not much flexibility either unfortunately.
    Thursday, that's going to be a tough one.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    Thursday, that's going to be a tough one.
    Yeah, but who knows . . . maybe you'll get the sniffles and have to stay home from work!

I Ride Bikes
    Thursday is going to be really tough for me too.

Friday might be more doable....cough cough....sniff sniff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Aloha! My wife and I moved to Puna about 10 months ago from WA and I've been trying to find riding buddies ever since with no luck until NOW! SO STOKED to find this thread.

I recently picked up a stumpjumper and I've been really enjoying Kulani solo (when I'm not lost). I live in Fern Acres and am currently unemployed so I can ride ANYTIME day or night. I generally try to ride at least 3-4 days a week.

Also looking for sportbike riding buddies if there are any moto folks out there.

I Ride Bikes
    Welcome to our enormous thread. lol.

Do you happen to be the same person that was added to the Facebook page right now?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Welcome to our enormous thread. lol.

Do you happen to be the same person that was added to the Facebook page right now?
    Yup just found that as well.

I Ride Bikes
    Yeah you can come and check us out anytime in Kulani. One of us is usually there on the weekends. Kind of a crappy day though today.

b a n n e d
    Thursday is going to be really tough for me too.

Friday might be more doable....cough cough....sniff sniff.
    I'll see what I can do . . . trouble with Friday is that I'm presenting at the conference smack in the middle of the afternoon.

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I'll see what I can do . . . trouble with Friday is that I'm presenting at the conference smack in the middle of the afternoon.

who knows, maybe on friday you might have the sniffles too.

Mtn Biker
    Jan 2013
    I'm going to be back on the Big Island Jan 21- Feb14...and I'm looking for some people to ride with...I haven't found much mountain biking out there...other than the route down to Captain Cooks Monument and the road to Makalawena...I like company so if anyone would be willing to show me some trails I would be a happy Islander...When I'm not in Hawaii I spend my time shredding the Sedona Trails...

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by SedonaGnarlyCrew View Post
    I'm going to be back on the Big Island Jan 21- Feb14...and I'm looking for some people to ride with...I haven't found much mountain biking out there...other than the route down to Captain Cooks Monument and the road to Makalawena...I like company so if anyone would be willing to show me some trails I would be a happy Islander...When I'm not in Hawaii I spend my time shredding the Sedona Trails...
    Wanna ride on 2/7? We can get lost together
    Last edited by 007; 01-09-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Mtn Biker
    Jan 2013
    I'm game...are you going to be on the Kona side???

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast