Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    A standard biking helmut should suffice. Maybe gloves, if you ride with gloves. Mosquito spray would come in handy too.

I Ride Bikes
    Yeah I was thinking about doing Makalawena, but down to the beach. It looks like fun, but I know it would suck hard going back up. But I like challenges. I'm not sure if I could ever find the time to do it, but it's something that I think about.

Anyways, I think I can make it this Sunday. I was supposed to run a 5K at 8:00, but I might just skip it so I can ride. I've never been to Kulani so I might just take advantage of this invite.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Just the reg bike stuff helmet shoes water. Just necessities. Meet at the ship then drive over. If you cannot at the shop then we usually park at the quarry science road.

Maybe 6-8 people with anyone who wants to join

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Also if you feel safe with knee pads, then they are fine too. I usually bring mine. CamelBak 2 l of water. Tube. And a energy bar

mtbr member
    Hey, you guys, wish I could be there too. Will catch up with you guys when I get back.

One hint. I usually bring a change of clothes and a towel so that when I'm done, I have clean, dry stuff to put on. Wipe off and feel much better. Driving back to Waimea (or where ever) somehow always nicer with dry clothes on. Sometimes I've brought a cooler full of warm water to wash/rinse off with. Feels great if it's been raining and I got all soaking wet.

Enjoy!!

I Ride Bikes
    Gmats- awesome tips. Thank u.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    sorry guys for all of the miss spelling and the grammar. dang iPhone and blind eyes

we will meet at the mid pac wheels at 8 then drive to Kulani shortly after. if you cannot make it to the shop we usually park on the side of the road at the quarry or the scientific area.

bring normal gear: gloves, helmet, shoes, water, a spare tube. if you feel the need to bring pads that is fine ( I usually run some RF knee pads). for the ride I usually pack 2L of water, I go through just about 2 by the time we finish. bring an energy bar if needed. GPS signal is descent, bring phone in a ziploc.

Like Gmats said, a dry towel or some extra clothes is nice if you have to drive far..

G: sorry you cannot make it this round. when you get back give us a holla. we have been meaning to head up your way for another blast down the hill. maybe I can bring a folding machete and help with some clean up of the suckling trees.

Maz: I can show you where the UH trail is after it is kind of hidden in the bushes. that trail is more technical then kulani just for the fact that it is always wet and mossy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Trdspec, so the UH trail is still ridable? Someone told me it was closed, so I figured it was overgrown already. Do you still access it from the same place, or is there a secret entrance?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Dudes,
    Thank you, I will see you guys tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    still rideable they still have classes. went in like last month. same entrance the side exit is kind of blocked though. plenty of mosquitos. more than kulani

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Kulani was epic today. Since I started riding there in May, I have only seen it this dry one other time. Let's pray it doesn't rain tonight, although it's not looking too good right now.

I Ride Bikes
    Awesome. I'm glad you had a great day out at Kulani.

Anyways, I'm still not 100% sure that I can make it tomorrow. I really want to, but just trying to balance play time and family time can be difficult.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Mazu. There are always other times that we go so if no can no worries.
    Aikane. Looks like it will be a little slippery tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Oh Dudes, I'm sorry. I messed up.
    I went to the shop at 8, parked on the road as the chain was up to the parking lot, waited until 8:20, then realized I was supposed to meet at the other shop Mid-Pacific Wheels! I was at the Bike Hub. So drove over and you guys were gone. Bummers for me. I didn't know where the Kulani trails were so I just went and rode around bayfront and Wailoa state park. Did practice on therocks by the art center and the bridges were fun , kinda like a pump track.
    I'm sorry. Hope you guys had a great ride. Clue me in on the next ride.
    Aloha,
    Specialutz

I Ride Bikes
    I'm glad I made it out today. I had lots of fun. Kulani was an eye opener for me. Now I know what technical means. I really had to concentrate on every slippery root or rock. Aikane got to watch me eat it off a log. Lol. Still I walked away today with a little more experience. I wish I could ride next week but I gotta 5k to run on Sunday morning. I might want to go on Saturday,but knowing me I would probably injure myself. In fact I'm sitting on my ass right now cause I cracked my shin on my pedal about 10 minutes ago. I was cleaning my bike and practicing my bunny hop, then BAM! My foot slipped off the pedal and my shin ate the pedal on the next rotation. Talk about pain.

I Ride Bikes

A pic from Kulani

A pic from Kulani

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Big mahalos to Trdspectacoma and his crew for letting us tag along. Had a good time and got to meet some cool people. Really looking forward to riding with you guys again.

Maz, let me know if you want to ride on Sat.

Specialutz, you're welcome to join in if you want. I ride every weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Specialutz: next time. there will always be time. will be posting here for rid updates, either going to be on sundays and sometimes on saturdays.

Mazu,, at least you did not have the pedal to they shin in kulani!!! it kind of sucks with the mud when it goes in there. like the three of them said pedal time in kulani will help with anywhere except UH. thanks for coming out

Aikane: nice ride always open invitations for the ride. Thanks for coming!!

It was a blast. a little more humidity then expected but it was a breather.

mtbr member
    Wow! Sweet! Sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm having some awesome rides out here in Crested Butte. Looking forward to meeting and riding with you guys when I get back in a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Finished work a little early today, so I hopped on my hardtail and rolled down the hill to the UH trail.

I didn't clear either of these sections, in case you were wondering.

I Ride Bikes
    you still there? nice looking roots. I still have to make it there one day.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Howzit guys! Haven't been here awhile, but this is the Filipino Reign rider. Had fun with you guys at Kulani, you guys did great! Funny you was at UHH trail this afternoon, I was running at WHS and WIS with the Anthem Boy. Hit me up here if you go mess around at UHH trail after work on weekdays, I just live right up the treet and can ride down. Anthem Boy too, he usually gets of at 6, but I get home around 4 and if I'm not surfing or running, I'll go bike. This weekend kinda open on Sat/Sun to ride. Where, don't know yet. Mix it up a bit , maybe Secret Waterfalls, Flume Road , or if you guys like the challenging downhill climb Escape road to crater rim trail up Volcano.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey wassup guys? Yeah I live right up the road from UH trail as well, use to ride it after work all the time. Definitely down for a ride this weekend if you guys put something together.

I Ride Bikes
    Aikane, I took a page from your book today and biked down to the UH trail today too. Man that place is slippery as soap. Definitely a place to build up skills though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    Aikane, I took a page from your book today and biked down to the UH trail today too. Man that place is slippery as soap. Definitely a place to build up skills though.
    Maz, sorry I missed you. I did one lap and headed back home. Haven't rode there in ten years, looks alittle different from what I remember. Was definitely soft and slick today.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast