Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    I Ride Bikes
    Yeah it certainly looks that way. I want to get a CK hub, but I don't want to buy anything until Chris gets back to me. I wonder if they actually have the spokes in stock? Is that a common thing to have at a bike shop?

mtbr member
    Yes, most shops have "some" spokes in stock. Generally the straight gauge, silver 14 and maybe 15 gauge stuff. They may have some double butted and some black spokes in some of the "common" sizes. It's hard to stock all the different sizes in different gauges AND of course all the colors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Looking to hit up Kulani tomorrow afterwork........

I Ride Bikes
    The Bike Hub got back to me today. So it looks like I can upgrade my rear hub with a Chris King. We still gotta work out how much is going to come out of my pocket though. I'm pretty excited though.

mtbr member
    That's awesome news. Hoping it all works out with costs and time. Stay tuned to this Bat Channel. I am interested..........

I Ride Bikes
    Okay I went to HBH after work and talked to Chris. So it looks like Specialized will be giving me $250 to rebuild my wheel. I will have to pay the difference of the CK hubs, alloy nipples, and spokes. So roughly $250-260 out of pocket for me.

mtbr member
    That's still a great deal because the hub alone would cost more than that. Sweet. If only I could do the job for you, my labor charge is cheaper (free lunch or something) but then again, "Some assembly required" because you'd be involved too, part of the learning of wrenching on your bike.

I Ride Bikes
    This is the rough breakdown for parts. He was just spitting out numbers. This is what I remembered.

CK Hub - $390
    Spokes - $40
    Alloy Nipples - $10
    Labor - $60
    Total = $510
    Credit = -$250
    Final Cost = $260

Believe me, i would love to learn how to build a wheel. But since this is a warranty issue, I figured I should just let HBH build the wheel so I can keep the warranty. $260 for a CK hub and keep my Specialized warranty is too good to pass up. Plus the CK hub will probably last longer than this wheelset. So I can use it on my next wheelset when this one craps out.

mtbr member
    Yes, the CK hub will outlast your bike. I have some of my original wheels from my 1998 Psycle Werks.

I Ride Bikes
    I think I might go riding today. Maybe waterfall hill since its been awhile since I've been there.

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    Any rides tomorrow?

I Ride Bikes
    I'm working tomorrow. I may go for a short ride afterwork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Looks like the off and on wet weather is back. Glad I could do a short ride today and take advantage of the dry conditions.

I Ride Bikes
    Tonight's haiku:

Riding the Mana
    Too excited to describe
    I can't wait! Cheeee huuuuu!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    same here mazu.. can't wait for the weekend. I already have things packed and ready.

mtbr member
    Well! Just read 18 pages of locals discussing awesome adventures and camaraderie.

I live near San Francisco, and love to ride at places like Skeggs and Annadel. I'm trying to sort through all the places you guys ride and pick one or two epic rides to hit up when we're there November 20-25 (Thanksgiving week).

How would you rank the following rides, in order of epic-ness? Or, what's the ONE ride you'd recommend to some tourist mountain biking nuts:

Mana Road around Mauna Kea
    Volcano Escape Road, Volcanoes Park
    Kulani
    Waterfall climb
    Kalopa

Am I missing anything? We're not afraid of long rides. I'm probably afraid of how much moisture is there. Rocks and roots? Sure. Wet rocks and roots? Ugh. Don't mind the learning experience, but probably don't want to show up on the beach the next day looking like my man had to tell me twice.

Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Spammer be gone.
    Last edited by aikane; 10-19-2012 at 09:02 AM.

I Ride Bikes
    17 hour work day....I'm tired. This week at work has been crazy. 50+ hours in four days. This Saturday I might be a little more tired than usual.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Christieland, what side of the island will you be staying at?

Mana road- endurance type ride, requires planning, multiple vehicles would be best.

Volcano Natl Park- more scenic than epic, biking is technically not allowed on a lot of the areas.

Kulani- roots, rocks and tight technial stuff. Located on the east side of island.

Kalopa-flowy singletrack, some climbing, nice views. North-east.

Kaloko-sort of a combination of Kulani and Kalopa. Westside.

Waterfall hill-name says it all. Climb up, bomb it back down. See some waterfalls on the way. Eastside.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christieland View Post
    Well! Just read 18 pages of locals discussing awesome adventures and camaraderie.

I live near San Francisco, and love to ride at places like Skeggs and Annadel. I'm trying to sort through all the places you guys ride and pick one or two epic rides to hit up when we're there November 20-25 (Thanksgiving week).

How would you rank the following rides, in order of epic-ness? Or, what's the ONE ride you'd recommend to some tourist mountain biking nuts:

Mana Road around Mauna Kea
    Volcano Escape Road, Volcanoes Park
    Kulani
    Waterfall climb
    Kalopa

Am I missing anything? We're not afraid of long rides. I'm probably afraid of how much moisture is there. Rocks and roots? Sure. Wet rocks and roots? Ugh. Don't mind the learning experience, but probably don't want to show up on the beach the next day looking like my man had to tell me twice.

Thanks so much!
    Aloha Christieland,

Welcome. Yes, guess there's been a lot of chatter here to read through. Love some of the riding I've done up there in the bay area. I've ridden Skeggs and loved it. Have not ridden Annadel yet.

At any rate, when you talk about epic riding, are you talking about distance, technical, or sites (scenery)? Aikane posted a bit about what each of the trails posses. If you're looking for "Epic" riding (distance, tough ride), then maybe I can suggest this. Park at the top of the Waipio Valley. Ride down to the beach. Hike a bike across the river at the bottom and then the Z trail up to the top of the other side of the valley. From there, it's epic technical riding in and out of many mini valleys over to the next major valley over (Waimanu Valley). I've never actually ridden that yet. I've only hiked it - 7 hour hike.

As for the other trails you've questioned about, other than Mana road, all are just small network of trails that can be ridden in as little as 2-4 hours depending on the routes and fun factors thrown in. I have a ride up in Kaloko that can be 1.5-4 hours depending on how much serious vertical climbing we throw in. From time to time, the scenery can be really awesome up there.

Are you going to be coming out here with your own bike(s)? If you're looking for rental, then pretty much Bikeworks (Kona) is your only choice. If you're the right size, then we have potentials for bikes you can borrow.

Where are you going to be staying while you are out here? That will certainly have an affect on which trail(s) you ride. Drop us a line, I'm sure we'd be interested in hooking up for some riding. To answer your original question, I can't think of a "must" ride while you are here, each of the trails have their fun factors associated to it.

P.S. Was that you that wanted to join up on the FB Big Island Mountain Biking page?

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Hi everybody.
    I'm thiniking of riding Mana Road tomorrow.
    Anybody up for it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolii29 View Post
    Hi everybody.
    I'm thiniking of riding Mana Road tomorrow.
    Anybody up for it?
    hmmmm I shall have to think about that one............................................... ...............

of course,,, its on!!! woot

mtbr member
    Ha! Bruddah, you one riot! See you guys tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    See you tomorrow grant. not so worried.. If I am too burnt to ride I shall take pictures.

mtbr member
    Gmats - thank you for the welcome and advice, yes that was me.

We're staying near Waikoloa Village, but are planning to rent a car because we've enjoyed the adventures we've had all over the island and enjoy road trips.

We're feeling drawn to the Mana Road ride. Probably because, when else will we be able to say, we rode bikes all the way around a volcano. We were thinking of renting hardtail 29ers, and we're good on endurance, not the fastest things in the world, but happy to ride for 6, 7 hours if need be. Probably don't want to seek out the gnarliest terrain, but are comfortable riding over most anything.

I'm curious if the ride can be done without a chase vehicle? If not, was hoping to post up on FB and here about perhaps trying to organize a Mana Rd. excursion for the Friday or Saturday immediately after Thanksgiving. If that's what we decide we'd like to do. Thanks for the bike shop recommendation too.

(I guess to my question, if someone were from out of town and visiting California, I might suggest the Lake Tahoe Flume Trail. Toads or Hole in the Ground might be more technical or interesting riding, but Flume is highly impressive to visitors, and gorgeous from what I hear (I still haven't done this ride).

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast