Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
    Bambiker
    Aug 2012

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    Okay I was riding Kalopa on my hardtail on Friday, yes I tend to do that from time to time. As I was coming down perimeter trail through the lower/flowy section, I thought it would be cool to have a hardtail ride off. We do timed runs, either down Perimeter or back down jeep road (we can have look outs to make sure there are no hikers coming up). Either bring your hardtail or suffer a time penalty for riding full suspension. And I don't mean we add time to your run, you have to wait at the top for your penalty to click off the clock before you can start downhill just like bracket racing. I was thinking maybe 10 second penalty for 100mm and another 2.5 seconds for every 10mm beyond that. What do you guys think?
    Night would definitely even out the playing field. You definitely need good bike handling skills to be quick on a hard tail.

I would need to borrow your bike for a run or two.

I Ride Bikes
    Yeah I only have 2 months of experience under my belt. The first trail I ever rode in my life was Kulani on 7/22. So we need to figure out a way to even out the playing field. I'll probably still come in last though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well, I was just joking about the time penalties and didn't mean to make it out to be a competition. I would be interested in having riders do the same trail on both their FS bike and a hardtail they felt comfortable riding. I would like to see what the differences would be.

I Ride Bikes
    Let's see, on my FS I would crash maybe 1 or 2 times. On a HT I would crash 4-5 times....maybe more. lol.

I think I might be ready to ride again. If I have time I might go up to waterfall tomorrow for a easy ride. Test out my shoulder and my knee.

mtbr member
    Well, I was just joking about the time penalties and didn't mean to make it out to be a competition. I would be interested in having riders do the same trail on both their FS bike and a hardtail they felt comfortable riding. I would like to see what the differences would be.
    I started out riding in the 80's with fully rigid, no real low gears and crappy brakes and tires.

The biggest difference for sure is you use your whole body to absorb a lot of the bumps. Tires were smaller so we had to have them inflated more. That meant we were using our arms, legs and body to absorb everything and have good timing with the putting the power down. While going down hill because of the tires and brakes, we used a lot more forearms to control the speed. This meant the forearms would BURN big time!

One thing hasn't changed. No shortage of smiles.

I Ride Bikes
    ^^^and that's why your such a badass on the bike.

Stairs Ninja!!

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    I second the 80's. They gave us bio-pace rings that was just hype, cantilever brakes that you could sqeeze all your might and the cable just stretches while the brakes laugh at you, nutted on cranks that would come loose, everything rigid, thumb shifters with no ergonomics, tires that no grip, 1" headtube with headset old style long bolt you could crank as hard as you like an the stem would still go crooked when you hit a tree, etc. But never stopped us from having fun and just like you guys today, Just Ride.
    No way I could ride a bike from then in the trails today, LOL! The best inmovation in my opinion from the 80's was the Hite-Rite seatpost spring, the grandfatjer of today's dropper post. It worked but dang thing looked ugly like a giant clothespin on your seatpost. LOL!

I Ride Bikes
    I'm strongly considering going tubeless. Should I do it?

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    I'm strongly considering going tubeless. Should I do it?
    Can't speak for your area Mazukea, but I've been tubeless in AZ on 3 bikes for about 2 years and love it. Where I ride is full of sharp rocks and cactus, I ride very aggressively (read pick crappy lines and plow into everything) and have had only 2 flats that required me to install a tube to get home. I've had a couple of slow leaks where I had to pop the bead and add some Stans, but then they sealed up. I run about the same psi as I used to run tubed, but you still have better tire compliance/ride feel because there is no tube /tire friction and you don't have the extra rubber in there. I would highly recommend that you give tubeless a try, I will not go back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    When I returned to mtb'ing this year, after a ten year hiatus, I was blown away by how much the industry has advanced. Especially in suspension and frame design. But still there is an important place for hardtails, I feel. Sometimes, simpler is better.

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Can't speak for your area Mazukea, but I've been tubeless in AZ on 3 bikes for about 2 years and love it. Where I ride is full of sharp rocks and cactus, I ride very aggressively (read pick crappy lines and plow into everything) and have had only 2 flats that required me to install a tube to get home. I've had a couple of slow leaks where I had to pop the bead and add some Stans, but then they sealed up. I run about the same psi as I used to run tubed, but you still have better tire compliance/ride feel because there is no tube /tire friction and you don't have the extra rubber in there. I would highly recommend that you give tubeless a try, I will not go back.

thanks for your input. I've been dwelling on this for about a month or so. Today my LBS told me that they found my tubeless stems that came with my bike. So I'm starting to lean a bit heavier on the tubeless side. I'm going to have them do it for me if I go tubeless since the price is cheap and they have a billion times more experience than me. yes, a billion.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Just Do It.
    Anthem Boy and I are converting our existing wheels gettho style tubeless. I'm just trying to find a source for Orange Seal tubeless sealant rather than Stans as the reviews has been promising.
    Will be in Kona for the weekend so will be scouting shops there.

I Ride Bikes
    Well I just ordered new tires last night. I'm gonna do it! I've been reading a lot of threads about tubeless and there seems to be more pros than cons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone wanna ride Kalopa this weekend?

I Ride Bikes
    I might be available this Sunday.

Bambiker
    Aug 2012
    Sunday at Kalopa sounds good. 8:30?

Tubeless for sure if you're prone to pinch flatting or love low pressure. My last two bikes have been tubeless, only one set of rims is tubeless specific. Since there's not much hard pack dirt single track around here tubeless should be great for everything here.
    I ran only high pressure tubed in Texas. My ride buddies always said I ran too high a pressure. I didn't appreciate low pressure until I started riding here. It's great for sticking to the trail when climbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasrullo View Post
    Sunday at Kalopa sounds good. 8:30?
    Yeah, that will work. Ran into Maz at Kulani this afternoon, and discussed it with him. So it looks to be you, Maz, and myself right now.

I Ride Bikes
    Aikane, thanks for showing me more of the trails today. I think I finally have a few of them memorized. Right after you left I went back in and did the Quarry trail again. I wanted to redeem myself and conquer the "pit" that I stumbled over. I made it through unscathed. Then I just rode up to the junction and took the left back to the Quarry.

Aikane really is the hardtail master. He rode that bike like it was FS. I was impressed.

Anyways, I'll see you mtb freaks at Kalopa tomorrow at 8:30.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Haha,.........."Mazu's Pit"..........I like the sound of it.

I Ride Bikes
    wake up and start loading up your gear! I hope the weather is nice to us today!

Prime
    I've watched the videos, viewed the pics, done the Google searches, I'd love to ride the Islands. Maybe next year I can swing a week vacation. Enjoy your day.

I Ride Bikes
    Haha,.........."Mazu's Pit"..........I like the sound of it.

It just sucks me in.

Whenever I come around that corner and see the "pit", I always think about my very first ride there...actually it was my very first trail ever. After I hit the pit and went over my handlebars I told myself, "wake up!, this is ain't the little kid's ride anymore." That's when i got hooked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I've watched the videos, viewed the pics, done the Google searches, I'd love to ride the Islands. Maybe next year I can swing a week vacation. Enjoy your day.
    Yeah, if you ever make it to the Big Island give us a holler. We'll show you around the local trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Kalopa was in descent condition, just enough moisture on the ground to keep you on your toes. At least we got to spend some time in the sunshine as opposed to being back in Hilo.

Maz making his third attempt at the rutted, washed out section near the top of jeep road. He came a pedal stroke short of making it all the way on his first try.

2 pigs/ 1 goat..........haha.

I Ride Bikes
    OPTIMUS - Yeah just let us know whenever you come to the B.I. and we would be glad to show you some of the trails around here.

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast