Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    Awesome...go get em aikane! I wish I could join you, but I'm out of commission for awhile. Have fun!
    Maz, I just saw your road rash thread.........sucks. I hope it isn't hindering you too much. Anyway, heal up quickly so you can get back on the trails.

I Ride Bikes
    I noticed today at work that my cuts start to sting when I start to sweat. oh well. I can't do anything about it. I still have 3 more days of work left in the week too. I can't wait for Sunday!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Honeymoon with bikes on Hawaii

Hi all...
    my husband and me we are going to visit the Hawaiian Islands (Big Island, Molokai and Kauai) from Oct.14th to Nov.1st. We are planning to explore these Islands only by bikes. As we are from Austria and it has been proved that bringing with us our own mountain bikes ist too difficult we are going to rent bikes.
    So first of all - despite of bike works kona - what other rent services you can recommend on the other Islands.
    Big Island will be a our challenge - we are planning to climb up Mauna Kea - what experiences do you have going there by bikes....?
    We have so many questions on the one side on the other we are not planning everything into detail but prefer deciding spontaneously.....
    looking forward your valuable tipps.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by k9601143 View Post

Hi all...
    my husband and me we are going to visit the Hawaiian Islands (Big Island, Molokai and Kauai) from Oct.14th to Nov.1st. We are planning to explore these Islands only by bikes. As we are from Austria and it has been proved that bringing with us our own mountain bikes ist too difficult we are going to rent bikes.
    So first of all - despite of bike works kona - what other rent services you can recommend on the other Islands.
    Big Island will be a our challenge - we are planning to climb up Mauna Kea - what experiences do you have going there by bikes....?
    We have so many questions on the one side on the other we are not planning everything into detail but prefer deciding spontaneously.....
    looking forward your valuable tipps.....
    Hi, welcome to the forums. Your honeymoon trip sounds like fun.

Here are some shops on Kauai....
    KAUAI CYCLE - Bicycle Sales, Rentals, & Repair
    Outfitters Kauai

For Molokai.....
    Molokai Bicycle - Home

Give us a schedule as to when and where you will be, and maybe some of us can show you around the local riding spots.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Some views from today, Volcano escape road.

Do you see a face in this rock, too?

I Ride Bikes
    yep, I see a face with scraggly short hair on top. cool pic

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

wow.....

..that looks amazing....and thanks for the informations.....

we will arrive in Kona on Oct.15th and are planning to stay on Big Island for about 5-6 days.... afterwards we would like to move to Molokai and finally after some days there to Kauai... all in all we are not booking the interisland flights in advance, because we prefer to be flexible...
    in general we are quite experience in mountainbiking because we are biking quite often in Austria... what would be challenging in Hawaii is that we are travelling with all our baggage (backpacks)...

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Awesome Aikane! So how was? Do a write up! I like hearing other's perspectives.
    Mazu, of course you coming when we bomb that hill again, cause I know you can horse it up and we can then do the full ride around the crater and to ????

mtbr member

we will arrive in Kona on Oct.15th and are planning to stay on Big Island for about 5-6 days.... afterwards we would like to move to Molokai and finally after some days there to Kauai... all in all we are not booking the interisland flights in advance, because we prefer to be flexible...
    in general we are quite experience in mountainbiking because we are biking quite often in Austria... what would be challenging in Hawaii is that we are travelling with all our baggage (backpacks)...
    Aloha, Sorry I am so late in replying back to you guys. I live on the Big Island in Waimea (Parker Ranch area). When you get here, are you planning to camp? You are planning to ride your bike around the island and explore?

When you get here, how are you getting down to Kona to Bikeworks for the rental? The guys there are really nice, I ride with them from time to time.

Riding up Mauna Kea is a great challenge. The top is about 4200 meters.

When you get here, PM me, maybe we can hook up and share some stories.

Have safe travels here.

Aloha,
    g

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ...Aikane: those pictures are SICK! You should post it on the "Passion" threads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Will you have transportation other than the bikes? The Big Island is about 160km from Kona to the other major city, Hilo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah, Escape Road was fun. Not as steep as I was expecting, but the s-turns were nice. Would be cool to race side-by-side through the turns, dual slalom style. Gotta watch out for the horse patties. Passed a couple hiking trails that allow bikes along the way, might be worth checking out. Scenery at the bottom made the climb back out worth it.

I Ride Bikes

We should try and set-up a ride with you folks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Okay I was riding Kalopa on my hardtail on Friday, yes I tend to do that from time to time. As I was coming down perimeter trail through the lower/flowy section, I thought it would be cool to have a hardtail ride off. We do timed runs, either down Perimeter or back down jeep road (we can have look outs to make sure there are no hikers coming up). Either bring your hardtail or suffer a time penalty for riding full suspension. And I don't mean we add time to your run, you have to wait at the top for your penalty to click off the clock before you can start downhill just like bracket racing. I was thinking maybe 10 second penalty for 100mm and another 2.5 seconds for every 10mm beyond that. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    Okay I was riding Kalopa on my hardtail on Friday, yes I tend to do that from time to time. As I was coming down perimeter trail through the lower/flowy section, I thought it would be cool to have a hardtail ride off. We do timed runs, either down Perimeter or back down jeep road (we can have look outs to make sure there are no hikers coming up). Either bring your hardtail or suffer a time penalty for riding full suspension. And I don't mean we add time to your run, you have to wait at the top for your penalty to click off the clock before you can start downhill just like bracket racing. I was thinking maybe 10 second penalty for 100mm and another 2.5 seconds for every 10mm beyond that. What do you guys think?
    Wow, that's a great idea though I don't even own a hardtail anymore. Closest thing I have is a fully rigid Klein, 1985 vintage but it is set up as my commuter with fenders and all. Can I minus time for running fully rigid and fenders?

You scared me there, I thought you were going to say you crashed up there. Phew!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post

You scared me there, I thought you were going to say you crashed up there. Phew!!
    Well actually I did, but no trees were harmed in the incident.
    Wow, rigid has to be worth a 20 second headstart and a box of "Salonpas".

I Ride Bikes
    what if we just lockout the rear suspension? would that be sufficient?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    what if we just lockout the rear suspension? would that be sufficient?
    Um................................................ ...........no. And carbon is good for an additional penalty.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    what happens if we crash?

I Ride Bikes
    we should do the ride off at night! Then guarantee no mo hikers. Probably just plenty obake. Will probably make me ride faster knowing that there are ghosts chasing me down the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    Um................................................ ...........no. And carbon is good for an additional penalty.

Haha! That's funny.

I also remember out in Crested Butte they used to have a chainless race. You start at the top of a hill. Remove your chain and have to coast all the way back to town.

Or......Hey, we should build up coaster brake bikes.........Back to old school. Oh, some of you guys not old enough to remember riding coaster brake bikes off road

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Haha! That's funny.

I also remember out in Crested Butte they used to have a chainless race. You start at the top of a hill. Remove your chain and have to coast all the way back to town.

Or......Hey, we should build up coaster brake bikes.........Back to old school. Oh, some of you guys not old enough to remember riding coaster brake bikes off road
    If I had to choose, I would go coaster. Riding without the chain can really mess up your balance if you are not concentrating. With the coaster you just have to remember not to back spin the pedals.

I Ride Bikes
    Man I can't wait to get back on my bike. The healing process is going alright so far. The cut on the back of my forearm is still kinda nasty looking. The rest of me is looking pretty good though. The road rash is pretty much healed up and flaking off like dead skin. I think I'm going to have a nasty scar from this though.

mtbr member
    Man I can't wait to get back on my bike. The healing process is going alright so far. The cut on the back of my forearm is still kinda nasty looking. The rest of me is looking pretty good though. The road rash is pretty much healed up and flaking off like dead skin. I think I'm going to have a nasty scar from this though.
    Battle scars bro. Remember the scene from the movie Jaws? Them drunks sitting around comparing their scars........

Bambiker
    Aug 2012

... and if we just ...

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever"
    -- Keanu Reeves, Movie: The Replacements.

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast