Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
    I Ride Bikes
    I bought the Syntace P6 HiFlex seatpost. I got a pretty good deal on it. So it was hard for me to pass it up. As soon as I got it I cut it down cause 400mm is way to long for me. It weighed in at 199 grams with the seat post clamp attached.

Apparently this seat post flexes to help absorb some of the shock/vibration to the buttocks. The last thing I want is a vibrator by my butt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Cool, so can we start referring to you as "Carbon-Boy" from now on?

I Ride Bikes
    haha....fine by me.

Anybody planning on going Kulani this week? I plan on going to waterfall again tomorrow. I can't get enough of that super fast downhill.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Eh Mazu, you like the downhill eh? Gotta take you Escape Road up Volcano, that's a fun downhill too. More twisty. About 5-6 miles long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    haha....fine by me.

Anybody planning on going Kulani this week? I plan on going to waterfall again tomorrow. I can't get enough of that super fast downhill.
    What time? I'll probably meet you there.

I Ride Bikes
    Not sure. I gotta watch my kids till my wife gets home. Maybe 4:30. Don't have to wait for me. Just go and ride.

I Ride Bikes
    I'm headed up there now.

I Ride Bikes
    waterfall was fun today until I got a flat rear tire. My first flat EVER! I just started heading down the hill too. I think I hit one of the first whoops and when I landed I knew I had a flat after a couple of seconds. The worst part is that I left my spare tube and patch kit in my other backpack. It was getting kinda late so I knew I had to get down quickly before it got too dark. It's a good thing I'm a runner......but it sucked running down a hill with a bike and heavy shoes with stiff soles. I felt like I was going to fall flat on my face at any moment. My rear wheel is pretty banged up too now. When I was changing the tire tonight I noticed a lot of new gouges and shiny metal around it. Oh well, it's a mountain bike, it's supposed to get banged up. If it ain't banged up, you must not be mountain biking....right? Anyways I learned a valuable lesson. You should only have ONE biking backpack with a spare tube in it at all times. I hope you guys had a better ride session than me today.

If I can, I might attack the hill again tomorrow. I want redemption.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ^^^That sucks. I know that feeling, that's a long way to walk the bike.

I Ride Bikes
    yeah if I walked it would have been dark for sure by the time I got to the bottom. On the bright side it only took me 42 minutes to get to the top. That's a 9 minute improvement from the last time I did that climb (Tuesday). I was definitely feeling the burn today.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Monstah Thundah Legs brah!
    Yeah, one thing I learned on a flat years ago was ALWAYS carry a spare tube, especially when riding with sun going down.
    Whete did I learn this lesson?
    Kulani, with the sun going down and flat tube came out and wrapped around my cogs like a giant rubber band.
    FML
    That place is not a place to get lost in, LOL!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Gonna have to start putting weights on Carbon Boys bike to keep things even.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    waterfall was fun today until I got a flat rear tire. My first flat EVER! I just started heading down the hill too. I think I hit one of the first whoops and when I landed I knew I had a flat after a couple of seconds. The worst part is that I left my spare tube and patch kit in my other backpack. It was getting kinda late so I knew I had to get down quickly before it got too dark. It's a good thing I'm a runner......but it sucked running down a hill with a bike and heavy shoes with stiff soles. I felt like I was going to fall flat on my face at any moment. My rear wheel is pretty banged up too now. When I was changing the tire tonight I noticed a lot of new gouges and shiny metal around it. Oh well, it's a mountain bike, it's supposed to get banged up. If it ain't banged up, you must not be mountain biking....right? Anyways I learned a valuable lesson. You should only have ONE biking backpack with a spare tube in it at all times. I hope you guys had a better ride session than me today.

If I can, I might attack the hill again tomorrow. I want redemption.
    Whoa wow, that's total bummer. Been there, done that. Back in the days when CO2 first started coming out. I stopped carrying a pump. Was riding without a pump. Got two pinch flats. Only had enough cartridges to partially fill the two tires. I was hauling a$$ to try and catch the other guys to "borrow" pump. I pinch flatted AGAIN. Had to start running........Finally caught up with them and changed another tube.

That being said, Mazu, alright to have more than one pack. Just make sure you get supplies in each so you don't have to walk (run). I hate having to walk my bike out, that's why I put my tool kit together so I think I can always get my bike rolling again.

Have fixed busted chains, gears, handlebars, seats, seat posts........The list is long but the stories and adventures priceless. Be safe to ride another day.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bambiker
    Aug 2012

Kulani Saturday?

Is anyone going to Kulani Saturday? If so, what time?

I Ride Bikes
    Gmats- awesome pack you got there. Thanks for sharing.

I Ride Bikes
    Hey so where we going this Sunday?

I Ride Bikes
    Headed to waterfalls.

I Ride Bikes
    Waterfall was nice today. I got there pretty late and started riding at around 5:40. I still made it the top by the big flood gate thingy. It took me 38 minutes from where I parked my truck to the top! Yes! My goal was 40 minutes so I was pretty stoked.

I also started working on my bike for some night riding. I grabbed my Surefire flashlight and some zip-ties....

Voila!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hitting up either Kalopa or Volcano Escape Road tomorrow (Thur.) weather permitting. I know it's a long shot, but if anyone else wants to ride, let me know. This weekend is supposed to rain, so I'm geting my groove on when I can.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Aikane, Escape Road park right by the corner of Volcano Charter school. Go across highway to gate, take short trail to main trail(Escape Road). Go left. Going right takes you to Chain of Crater Road.
    After Thurston Lava tube, there's a gate. Fom there it's downhill bliss and gets steeper as you go for about a mile and a half, becareful because at the bottom is another gate that comes up really faaast if you are blazing the steep part. From there is another 3 miles or so of twisty fun downhill with some nice speed jump offs. When you get to the bottom go to the end of the road, to the right is a trail that is almost like a paved road that goes to the cool pu'u ( hill) that has a cool path up o the top that has a killer view of all the volcanoes. Nice techie hill by the way. On the right side at the end of the road is a nice short bermy pathy that is fun to try to get fast on and it goes to the lava field that has some really nice features, mini craters, mushrooms, etc. I wish I could join you. Have fun, be safe be ause it is very isolated.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    I must be dyslexic, I meant to the left is the pu'u, to the right is the mini craters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Cool, thanks Honolii. Probably gonna pack some Spam musubis and make an expedition out of it.

I Ride Bikes
    Awesome...go get em aikane! I wish I could join you, but I'm out of commission for awhile. Have fun!

I Ride Bikes
    Hey Honolii29, when I'm all healed up I want to head out to escape road with you guys. Sounds like a fun place.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Aikane, pure natural Mother Nature bliss! I love that ride, from rainforest down to young raw lava. If you taking your time, bring camera for sure. Usually see Nenes down at the end. At the top of the pu'u, Holy Smokes! On a clear day you can see Mauna Loa, Kilauea/Halemaumau, Pu'u O' , down to the ocean. Surreal seeing the smoke coming out from the two active vents.

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast