I Ride Bikes

Big Island: KULANI TRAILS is OFFICIAL!

Chris @ Hilo Bike Hub has announced that Kulani Trails is now an Official Trail System legally accessible to bicyclists. You will now need a permit to ride in there. You can pick it up at the DLNR for FREE! The permit is good for one year and you must have it at all times when you are riding in Kulani. They will also give you a colored map of the trails.

Please pick-up a permit so we can keep these trails open to mountain bikers legally. Plus obtaining a permit will help show that people are using the trails.

I got mine. Have you got yours?
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Mazukea!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Wow I did not know it was illegal when I was there in 05. This is the forest near Hilo right ? It was in the guidebooks as legal at the time and there were at least several others there biking when i was there. But havent been to HI since 06--do all the "legal" trails require a permit now ? The only legal trail I can remember requiring a permit before was Kaena Point Naval Station trails on Oahu.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Wow, need a permit to ride a bike in the forest....sheesh...What next, licenses??
    Next trip to Hilo guess I'll pick one up. Thx for the info.