mtbr member

Big Island June visit...

Hey guys... uhm, I mean... Aloha!

My wife and I have a vacation planned on the Big Island from June 15th to June 22nd and I do intend on renting a mountain bike one day and checking out one of the local trails. We'll be staying on the Kailua-Kona side of the island so I was planning on renting from Bike Works. I'd like to stay in the area if it's possible.

My wife plans on taking a relaxing day at the spa somewhere so I'll be free for about 1/2 a day. Anyone interested in showing me around? We're not sure yet which day I'd be riding, we haven't booked anything since we plan on taking it day by day but we are willing to schedule something for convenience.

Which trail would you guys recommend? I personnally like the more aggressive techy stuff (AM) and really enjoy the DH/light FR side of things but can also put in a few miles of XC stuff. However, from the look at the bike shop rental inventory, I will not be able to get anything very aggressive (the most bike I can get is a Giant Trance X3). Either way, I plan on having a good time.

Looking forward to getting good advices.

mtbr member
    Aloha Patrick,

Where you coming from? I think I might be able to break away for a ride here or there maybe on a weekend for 1/2 day. Looks like the only weekend you'll be here is 18-19. Pick a day. Give the boys at Bikeworks a call and we'll put something together.

g

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats
    Aloha Patrick,

Where you coming from? I think I might be able to break away for a ride here or there maybe on a weekend for 1/2 day. Looks like the only weekend you'll be here is 18-19. Pick a day. Give the boys at Bikeworks a call and we'll put something together.

g
    Right on g, thanks for the reply.

We'll be coming from the St. Louis area in Missouri.

I was also thinking along the lines of those days, let me talk to my wife first to see what she wants to do and I'll get back to you.

Do you have any preferences as far as time of day you may be available? Bikeworks doesn't open until 9am on Sat. and 10am on Sun. so we'd have to think about that when planning on meeting somewhere. Unless we decide to meet at the shop or I grab the bike the night before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickP
    Right on g, thanks for the reply.

We'll be coming from the St. Louis area in Missouri.

I was also thinking along the lines of those days, let me talk to my wife first to see what she wants to do and I'll get back to you.

Do you have any preferences as far as time of day you may be available? Bikeworks doesn't open until 9am on Sat. and 10am on Sun. so we'd have to think about that when planning on meeting somewhere. Unless we decide to meet at the shop or I grab the bike the night before.
    Where will you be staying? Down in Kona or further north at the resorts? I can meet you at the shop on either day and do a transport ride from there, your wife can then have the rental car to run off if she wants. If you're up at the resorts, I can stop by and pick you up on the way south and drive to the bike shop. Which ever, guess we can plan more detailed as time gets closer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats
    Where will you be staying? Down in Kona or further north at the resorts? I can meet you at the shop on either day and do a transport ride from there, your wife can then have the rental car to run off if she wants. If you're up at the resorts, I can stop by and pick you up on the way south and drive to the bike shop. Which ever, guess we can plan more detailed as time gets closer.
    We'll be staying at King Kamehameha's Beach Resort so we won't be too far from the bike shop. I like your idea of leaving the rental car with my wife and ride together to the trail, as long as you don't mind.

I think Saturday morning would work great for us since I can get the bike earlier than Sunday. I'd be at the shop at 9am sharp.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Im in for a ride with you guys if I am still here then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangingchads View Post
    Sounds good. The more the merrier.

mtbr member
    Excellent, it's been way too long since we've ridden. Looking forward to it again.

mtbr member
    I've got the bike reserved for this Saturday. The wife and I should be in Kona tomorrow evening.

Anybody else want to come along?

Hangingchads, are you still coming?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm still here as of yet so yeah I will meet you guys up there around 9:30. Whats the plan Grant? Meet at Hao leave a car and run up to Makai and do the loop or? Or do the ride up to Makai and get warmed up?

I Have Cookies
    Why is it everyone that comes to the Big Island with the intention of riding always ends up staying in Kona? Just a Silly Qusetion from someone that lives on the Hilo side.... Obvious answers to that (Hotels, Bike Rental, Etc...) Everyone know's the "real" trails are on the East side of the island
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    I'm still here as of yet so yeah I will meet you guys up there around 9:30. Whats the plan Grant? Meet at Hao leave a car and run up to Makai and do the loop or? Or do the ride up to Makai and get warmed up?
    I'm planning to meet at Bikeworks at 09:00, get the rental with Patrick and drive up to Makai Street. I was planning to climb up Kaloko from there and go and see the baby crater and then head down and do Pig Skull, up Hallway and then down Jurassic. Chad, you willing to shuttle up from Makai and leaving a vehicle at Makai? That'd cut out about 3.5 miles of the Kaloko climb. I suppose we'll be up there around 09:45-10:00.

Quote Originally Posted by ae111black View Post
    Why is it everyone that comes to the Big Island with the intention of riding always ends up staying in Kona? Just a Silly Qusetion from someone that lives on the Hilo side.... Obvious answers to that (Hotels, Bike Rental, Etc...) Everyone know's the "real" trails are on the East side of the island
    Kimo, yeah, would like to ride Hilo more but never seem to get out there as most of the people wanting to ride are on the Kona side. Yes, all the "calls" I get are people staying on the west side. If these people had time, I'd happily meet in Waimea and drive to Hilo for some sweet, Kulani single track. Also, yes, most of these people don't bring their own bikes so they need to get a rental from Kailua.

You up for maybe Mana Road soon? I'm needing to do some longer rides because I'm getting ready to leave on my trip to Vancouver Island and Whistler.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post

You up for maybe Mana Road soon? I'm needing to do some longer rides because I'm getting ready to leave on my trip to Vancouver Island and Whistler.

I wish I could do Mana Road... My post was just mainly just venting I hardly get time to make it to Kulani! I still ride everyday but just to and from work and I fit in UH on nicer days. My poor Prophet is a commutter bike. BTW thanks for the E-mail!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black View Post
    Sorry dude, I was actually lucky to convince the wife to let me go for a ride during our vacation. I'll be on your side of the Island sometime this week but won't be able to ride.

Looking forward to Saturday morning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah I am up for whatever you guys want to do. I might end up parking at Hao and ride up to Makai but I guess whatever you guys feel like doing. I am not apposed to a little climbing.