mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Big Island in June

I'm renting a bike at Bike Works during the week of June 27, but staying with family in Hilo. Gonna try to hook up with Hilo Bike Hub folks, but would love to ride some single track with anyone that knows their way around. I'm game for a drive to Waimea, Hawi, Volcano, whatever. Doug

I had a good time on the Kaloko Trails not far from BikeWorks (where I also rented).

gmats showed my wife and I around. He's great to ride with.

Hit up ae111black for some riding on the Hilo side. sounds like he's missing out on a lot of the fun of riding with visitors over there. ;-)

I would have liked to have more time that I could have ridden other parts of the island, too. I looked into biking the trail out of Waipio Valley, but it looked like a bit more strenuous of a trip than I was ready for at the time.

I Have Cookies
    I heard someone mention my name.... OP PM Me and I'll see if my Schedule works out! There is some really good trails right in Hilo. Check out Kulani and University of Hilo (UH-H) Trails. Lemme Know!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I rode the trails up Kaloko Rd and they were good, but not very extensive as far as I could tell. I jogged through the trails at UH Hilo, but didn't ride them. Very wet for sure. I rode some of the trails out Stainback Rd. Very extensive trail system. I come to Hilo every year to visit family, so I'll hook up next summer. Shoots.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Forgot to give a shout out to the guys at Kona Bike Works and Hilo Bike Hub. Rented a Giant Trance from Kona BW and they were helpful with trail locations. Hilo Bike Hub also turned me on to some good trails.

I Have Cookies
    Right on! I'm glad you had fun. Yes the UH trail is in kinda poor condition now days partailly due to me and all the rain we have been getting. I need to spend a few hours in there with my chainsaw and weed wacker to bring it back to it's glory.. Hope to meet you next trip!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo