Big Island in July

I'll be on the big island in July and my wife and I are thinking about renting mountain bikes for a day. We're on the Kailua-Kona side, and Bikeworks looks like it's got some decent bikes to rent. We just need to find someplace to ride. Garmin Connect seems to just have a bunch of dirt road rides and a bunch of morons riding around the resorts on the most likely paved roads and calling them "mountain bike" rides.

I want a REAL mountain bike trail. Not really interested in any DH. My wife prefers singletrack on the low-technicality scale. I like a little bit more techy stuff, so the ideal trail for both of us would be mostly nontechy with some techy spots. If someone on this forum lives in the area and would want to show us around, that'd be perfect. We're going to be there July 21-27. I have plans for Fri the 23rd already, but we're otherwise flexible.

Also, I'm going through treatment for leukemia still (my last treatment before the trip is next week), so mega-mileage lung-busters are less desirable.

mtbr member
    I typically ride weekends. I can hook up with you for a ride if you like. Contact the boys at Bikeworks for rentals. Maybe ride on Saturday the 24th if you can get bike by then. PM me and we'll make some arrangements.

Sounds cool. Are there any rides in the area I can research a bit beforehand to decide on a route?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Here's a couple i got off an earlier post,looks basic and not to demanding based on the photo's from that same post.These trails i believe start not to far(10minuts)from Bikeworks bike shop. Go to the Kaloko Trails located in the Honuaula Forest Reserve, i think that takes you to Kaloko Trail, then to Pig Skull Trail followed by Hallway trail. At this point i believe you may have to backtrack the way you came from.I'm sure Bikeworks bike shop will have a map or better directions,and maybe more trails to choose from.I sent this same info to my sister who lives there in Kona to get her on her bike and in shape for when she and her husband come out on there mountain bikeing vacation here in Squamish/ Whistler,B.C Canada later this summer.Hope that helps!! Get Well !!!

Riding an active volcano
    You can check out a few rides on my Garmin Connect page- and also check out the Volcano Velo site (link in my sig).

Here's one for Kalopa State Park, near Honoka`a...

The Kaloko trails sound like they might work out best. They'll be closest to where we get the bikes, so there will be minimal driving. We can maximize riding time and maybe even turn the bikes in before the shop closes so we don't have to babysit two nice bikes in our hotel room overnight.

I ride with an Edge, so I'll probably be contributing a track to the "cloud" for these trails at some point.

Riding an active volcano
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk

I ride with an Edge, so I'll probably be contributing a track to the "cloud" for these trails at some point.

Cool beans. I'd love to check them out sometime and it would be great to have a track.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Kaloko is good stuff and there are nice trails to chose from. If you get two cars you can park one at the Hao street ending part and then drive up to Makahi street and its a short walk up hill then all down hill till you get to the hao street trail again but its not big drop or hard core downhill, just sloping down so not much pedaling. Pig skull is a techy switchback trail that goes down to the hao street trail and is about an hour or so ride if you take it easy and have fun. The pig skull use to be really techy before allot of the local guys cleaned it up a bit. Now its just fun.

I ride the kaloko trails a couple times a week and would not mind heading out for a ride. Gmats is a good guy as well and hell of a biker, better than me anyways lol. Yeah PM me as well and always glad to get out on the trails.

I Have Cookies
    Natehawk PM Me.........I'll show you some singletrack!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    OK, Natehawk and I are hooking up in Kaloko on Saturday, 24 July around 11:00. If you wanna join us, meet up on Makahi Street around then.

I Have Cookies
    Awe why so early? ok I'll try to get there on time!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    Awe why so early? ok I'll try to get there on time!
    Because I am picking up the bikes at 10am from Bikeworks. I wanna spend my time with them actually riding, I don't want them sitting in my hotel room, and since I'm only renting them for one day, I'd rather not spend my time driving far.

And I thought I hated mornings...lol. Wakey wakey.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I will be there so I guess I will see you all up there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hope the ride was fun and sorry I missed it. Messed up my shoulder somehow and could not get on my bike today.

too bad, dude. hope the shoulder gets better. gmats said he was expecting you and another guy. my wife and I showed up late, and we waited a little for you. we had a good time. pig skull was a good time. jurassic was pretty rough to ride up. I tried it, but ended up walking a lot. we did it as a loop, though, so we had a big uphill slog on that fire road. ouch. we had a great time, even though the trail kicked our asses. I'll put a ride report in Passion once we get home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangingchads
    Hope the ride was fun and sorry I missed it. Messed up my shoulder somehow and could not get on my bike today.

Bummer you missed it. Hope you're feelin' better bud. Nate and his wife are two fine people and talk about such attitude. Hope they are able to return some time to ride again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for waiting, I wish I could of gone... oh well.

Shoulder is feeling better. Hopefully I will be back on the bike by next week.

Sounds like you guys had a good time and yeah those trails can beat you up a bit, the elevation can add some more effort required as well.

Have a safe trip home and come back anytime!

I Have Cookies
    Hope you guy's had fun! Next time East side, come on....... Nah Someone needs to organize a Mana Rd ride!

____
    Kimo

Thanks for the tour, gmats.

Too bad I missed you, Hangingchads and ae111black.

Here's a x-post to my trip report on Passion

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...48#post7170348

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shawner\
    You can check out a few rides on my Garmin Connect page- and also check out the Volcano Velo site (link in my sig).

Here's one for Kalopa State Park, near Honoka`a...

That looks like a good ride, I'd like to do that one sometime myself.