Red sticky ball
    Apr 2004

Anyone have an extra bike in Oahu?

Hey there,

I am coming to Waikiki to visit with my GFs family on November 23rd for a week.

I can only hang with the GF and her family for so long. I would love, love, love to get a trail ride in.

Does anyone have an extra bike and want to ride? Dinner and beers on me!

I like to ride a mix of XC and downhill (pretty much the only kind of riding here in San Francisco/Bay Area).

Let me know if you can meet up! Thanks!

Mark

Red sticky ball
    Apr 2004
    Um.. hello? Or would some cold, hard cash be preferred?

Would really love a ride to break up all the unhealthy eating and drinking I will probably be doing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Camus, I am visiting home during the thanks giving week too. Also from Norcal.

I will bring my bike with me this time, but unfortunately I will likely be riding most everytime.

What size do you ride? Are you looking for a dualie?

Why not rent from The Bike Shop? If you are willing to pay, might as well get some decent specialized or Kona. They have 3 locations throught out Oahu. (Assume you are going to Oahu)

Red sticky ball
    Apr 2004
    Thanks Loll. I ride a med or large depending on the brand. My Ibis Mojo is a large.

I'd love to rent from the a bike shop but I'd also have to rent a bike rack (unless there is a bike shop near a trail head) and not sure if my GF's bro would appreciate me putting a bike rack on his new Toyota Peeus.

Maybe I will just call the bike shop. Is there any sort of shuttling service available? Yes, I will be in Oahu (staying in Waikiki to be more specific).

It's just always more fun to ride with other people - they know where the good trails are. I'm always game to show people new to the Bay Area my favorite runs at Skeggs or Pacifica.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Maybe I will give The Bike Shop a call.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you are talking about runs...then you are in a good spot. Look for St. Louis Height right next to University of Hawaii Manoa campus. This is the Hawaii equivalent of "side-O" up in Oakland. This used to be the downhill worldcup race course.

No one shuttle commercially in Hawaii, but if you want, wait for the bus from the base of the mountain. It takes you all the way to the park at the top. You have to do some research, is been too long since I did that. The St. Louis height trail ends on a major road at the campus from which point you can catch a ride back to your hotel.

The university campus is only a few miles away from Waikiki. This isn't UC quality though, an AM~ish bike will be more than enough. There are a few trails up there.

Try to PM emtybe_er. He is my main contact the past few weeks and will likely be able to show you around. Also Pineapple Bob (Francois's riding friend) is from Hawaii and also ride Norcal.