mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Anybody want to ride?

I'll be in maui from august 25-sept 1st or something around there... hoping to get some biking in. anybody around there want to show me around possibly?

Canuck on this Rock

are you bringing your own bike? If you are riding on Oahu, check out dhhawaii.com

You definitely can hook up with someone there. Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    no, i'll be renting, probably from crater cycles. i think i'll be on maui for the duration of my stay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What kind of riding are you hoping for?

mtbr member
    I'm heading to Maui as well but the only day that coincides with yours is Aug 31st (I'm there from Aug30-Sept 6th...). I want to do Mt. Haleakala's Skyline Trail and was planning on renting from Crater as well... I''m looking to enjoy the downhill but not go so fast as to miss the beautiful volcanic Hawaiian scenery and would like to do a couple of vids and take some nice pics as well... From what I understand, Fridays are "ride day" for the Crater crew... so that may be the best bet for both of us...
    Anyhow, maybe we will be able to meet up...

mtbr member
    That reminds me of the scene in the movie "TREAD" (it might be going back a while for those youngens') where they rip a pretty sweet ride through some forest, some ranch, then finally end up on the beach. The part that always sticks in my mind is the faces carved into trees.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by panda-man
    I'm heading to Maui as well but the only day that coincides with yours is Aug 31st (I'm there from Aug30-Sept 6th...). I want to do Mt. Haleakala's Skyline Trail and was planning on renting from Crater as well... I''m looking to enjoy the downhill but not go so fast as to miss the beautiful volcanic Hawaiian scenery and would like to do a couple of vids and take some nice pics as well... From what I understand, Fridays are "ride day" for the Crater crew... so that may be the best bet for both of us...
    Anyhow, maybe we will be able to meet up...
    a tourist ride would be cool haha.

i was hoping to do the skyline trail and maybe check out the xc trails around mt. haleakala. and crater cycles is a little far from kaanapali so i'll probably rent a giant trance from west maui cycles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I own a trance x1 and wouldn't ride it down skyline.It's way too rough,the head angle is too steep the tires are too small.If you are going to do skyline 6" travel minimum,2.5" two ply tires.You're spending too much to get here to rent the wrong bike.The trance is a good bike for the makawao forest reserve.You could easily miss the best trails in makawao there's a lot of trails.Driving from kaanapali crater cycles is on your way it's just off hana highway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just thinkin if the lahaina shop rents a reign x it would be allright 6.7" travel.Burly tires really help.I bought my trance used on craigslist and it was assembled in lahaina.The bike is perfectly assembled and adjusted.I'm a fan of their mechanics.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i have too much i want to do and not enough money! i'm trying to rent a bike for the duration of my stay that i can use to ride around the streets, and do the makawao trails. for the day i go do the downhill i guess it's worth just renting another bike for the day.

do you have any suggestions for rental places? google only found crater cycles and west maui cycles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't know if the other shops rent but you'll be covered with the shops you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    well i'm leaving tomorrow. decided against riding the xc trails, but am going to do skyline. thanks for all the help.