Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any place to ride on the Big Island?

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  gmats 
#1 ·
I planning a vacation later this year on the Big Island. Can't find much information about mountain biking. Is it worth bringing a mountain bike or should I just bring the road bike?

#3 ·
How many rides you plan on doing? There are definitely trails to ride here.

If you're on the Kona side, give the boys at HP Bike Works a call.
http://www.bikeworkskona.com/

East side, give the boys at HIlo Bike Hub a call:
http://www.hilobikehub.com/index.htm

There are a bunch of great guys at both the shops there.

When are you coming out? I live between the two places and ride most of the trails. PM me, I'd be happy to hook up for some trail riding.

Aloha,
g

#6 ·
Aloha Jewels,

No, unfortunately not, we're not planning right now for a trip out to Maui. If it happens, it'll be short notice with a small handful of us, not the "major" annual mountain biking trip. They (my friends in LA) found outrageously cheap airfare from west coast to New Zealad so they are going out there for almost 3 weeks. I might try to get a "pack" of friends together and head over to Maui for a week or so. We will see. Anytime you guys want ot head over here, just come on over.

#7 ·
why go to the big island? the air is so full of vog you can barely breath much less ride. but if you insist, here are the trails i know of.

mana road. a dirt road that goes for 35 miles aroung the mauna kea volcano. Absolutely epic ride, with great scenery and views. Maybe one of the better rides in the world.

at the top of koloko rd. by kona, there is 2 miles of single track with some stunts freeriders built like ladders and jumps.

ride around south point. again dirt rods, but you can have another epic ride down there. bring water, don't get lost, it's just you the lava and the ocean, but if you want an adventure, take a dirt road northeast along the coast from south point, pass gree sands beah and keep going. you'll never forget it. ever. absilutely nothing else like it in the country.

#8 ·
What's the story on the Vog? When I started planning I read about the Vog but then I read that the vent was closed and the air was clearing. How bad is it right now. I'm planning on the fall but I can be happy on Oahu if the air on the Big Island is still all Vog.

#10 ·
If by closed they mean the vent has doubled then I guess that makes sense. My girlfrined's mom moved to the most northern point on the island and installed special air filters to avoid it, and her dad is selling her house and leaving. Go to Oahu, and if you want less crowds and more space and better biking, go to maui or kauai.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.