Deere Rider

Xeon info needed

Looking at a Xeon as a possible future upgrade and I'm hoping someone can help me with a few questions.

How much does the Large (20") frame and Pearl shock weigh? Anyone with exact weights? Greenfish has the 18" listed at 8.0lb so I would assume the 20" would be a bit more (8.25lb???).

Can anyone give me info on fit? Looking at the 20" frame. Am 6'3" with 35.5" inseam. Have been riding bikes with 24-24.5" effective top tubes (Titus MotoLite, QuasiMoto, Giant Trance). Recently went from 120-130mm stems to 110mm on all three bikes. run the grip height about level with the top of saddle. Top of saddle to top of pedal with crank inline with seatpost is 37.5" (running 180mm cranks). I like to have a saddle position that puts my knee inline with the pedal axle. On Haro's website it says effective top tubes were measured with seat at approximate tallest postition (25.3" on 20" frame). Where does that leave me with my approximate seat height (probably a question for one of the Haro reps)?

This should get me started. Any useful info will be greatly appreciated.

Unfit Norwegian
    You'll find a lot of what you look for in this thread:

Haro Virtual Link frame discussion

You need to measure your seat height from the center of the BB to the top of the seat, just above the seat clamp.

On the VL bikes, the ETT is very theoretical, since the seat tube isn't in a straight line from the BB to the seat clamp like "ordinary" frames. The ETT is the length between the intersection of the head tube and the top tube and the intersection between two imaginary lines, where one goes horisontally backwards from the intersection between the head and top tubes, and the other from the center of the BB to the middle of the seat clamp.

That is why the seat tube angle and the ETT varies with seat height. When you lower the seat, the seat tube angle gets steeper and the ETT gets shorter.

(Edited for spelling.)

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    You'll find a lot of what you look for in this thread:

Haro Virtual Link frame discussion

You need to measure your seat height from the center of the BB to the top of the seat, just above the seat clamp.
    This height on my bike is 30.75" (center BB to top of seat). I saw in this mentioned thread that Haro Bikes is about my height so I am hoping he will chime in on what the effective top tube will be on the Xeon with this measurement.

Also noticed that Downhilljill stated the Xeon frame weighed 6.5lb w/o shock (was this a 16" or 18"?). Let's say that's the 18" and the Pearl shock (is the Xeon's shock something like 8.5X2.5?) weighs 400g (it shouldn't be quite that much) and with hardware you add about one pound. That puts the frame and shock weight for an 18" in the 7.5lb neighborhood. This is still 1/2lb less than Greenfish's 8.0lb weight for the 18". What gives?

If the Haro reps have any way to get me a weight on the 20" Xeon frame AND shock I would be greatly appreciative. I realize 1/2lb here or there won't make a difference when riding but I'm a bit of a geek and would just like to know before I buy.

Deere Rider
    Another question...

How necessary is the "platform" on the Xeon's shock when riding rough trails. From what I have read the Xeon excells at pedaling through rough terrain and this is exactly what I ride. Any sort of pedal feedback (feels like the bike gets "hung up" on sharp edged impacts) is a hindrance. In the MBA review they seemed to think the platform was necessary to ride this bike. As a general rule I despise platform shocks as it is just preventing the suspension from working. Is this thing really going to bob excessively without the platform on?

Also, where's the feedback from Xeon riders? The search function doesn't turn up much.

A side note: I usually go for straight and simple, but am I the only one who thinks the Xeon is one of the hottest (visually) frame designs ever? With the pearl white color paired with the upcoming white Marzocchi 55 ATA (run at 140mm, of course)...SMOKIN'!

mtbr member
    Wow Titus, you have lots of questions...but that's a good thing! I'll do my best to answer what you've got here.

The weight on a 20" Xeon with a Pearl 3.3 is closer to about 7.5 lbs. 8.25 lbs is a little bit of a stretch.

Based on the measurements you gave, you'd definitely ride the 20" size. You are about the same height/inseam as our former product manager; he actually created the geometry of the 20" frame to fit him. If I were you, I'd definitely use a 400mm zero offset post though so you don't increase your effective TT length more than you have to.

You will want to ride this bike with the platform switched "on". The amount of platform you ride with will depend on your riding style, personal preference, and the type of riding you do. I ride my Xeon with the Pearl 3.3 platform somewhere in the upper middle range of the detents. Some people will switch their platform off for descents so they have a plusher ride; I tend to just leave mine in the "on" position since I never remember to turn it back on after I turn it off.

I hope that helps answer your questions. If you think of anything else, let me know.