Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    289

    when is haro going to come up with lighter frames?

    I previously owned two Haro's: X6 and Xeon. Both were good bikes, no doubt about it.

    But currently I am hooked into XC events which made me give up the Xeon. As efficient the suspension design is, I usually find myself gasping for air after huge climbs -- apparently due to the weight.

    I really love the VLS design... But the thing is, when is Haro going to adopt lighter frame designs? The Xeon is really, really nice (except for the chainsuck), I love it especially when pedalling through rough sections at speed - something that I can't do with my hardtail. Yes, the top tube is hydroformed, but other manufacturers are able to come up with lighter designs while maintaining the same amount of travel. Even the Sonix is a bit heavy compared to others.

    Why am I asking? Because I want another Haro 6-inch VLS bike... But please, with a lighter frame.

    8 months to Christmas... Hopefully I'll be able to buy it by then.

  2. #2
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    759
    Haro had superlight frames in the past. When the market calls for it, and not just YOU, we will likely get them. Otherwise, there are many, many other companies out there.

    I mean, you're on a 6" frame. How much lighter do you want it to be and still take the forces required to exploit 6" of travel? Gasping for air? Never, ever blame the bike. You either bought wrong for your needs, or need to get in better shape for your conditions, which is part of mountain biking: constant improvement on all fronts.

  3. #3
    San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    Haro had superlight frames in the past. When the market calls for it, and not just YOU, we will likely get them. Otherwise, there are many, many other companies out there.

    I mean, you're on a 6" frame. How much lighter do you want it to be and still take the forces required to exploit 6" of travel? Gasping for air? Never, ever blame the bike. You either bought wrong for your needs, or need to get in better shape for your conditions, which is part of mountain biking: constant improvement on all fronts.

    what superlight frames you were referring to? please refresh my memory, i haven't seen any of that with Haro.

    yeah i need to get into better shape (been biking for a year, a bit hypertensive), but there is nothing wrong with someone wanting to have something on the lighter side especially on epics.

    constant improvement on all fronts, as you said: maybe haro can work on improving frame weights since most companies are working on that now. even on 6" bikes.

  4. #4
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    759
    They had the Werks single pivots in the past and they were really nice bikes.

    There is nothing wrong with getting something lighter. If that's what you want, there are literally THOUSANDS of them out there for you to choose from. Brand loyalty is fine and good, but don't expect one company to buckle just to make a bike around you, which is what custom builders are for.

    On top of that, it's not like you're not going to be dying at the top with a lighter bike. You will see the same effects, perhaps not as bad, but the biggest factor is your fitness, not the bike. You could also lose that same amount of weight off your body.

  5. #5
    San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    289
    thanks for your replies glitz. the werx single pivots are nowhere to be found in my country (Philippines). i still find the Shift single pivots on a bit porky side. now, your replies to my query are all but useless -- common knowledge already. i am not forcing anyone from haro to make a bike just because of me.

    now going back to the question which is still unanswered... will there be a lighter 6 inch frame coming out? I am waiting for someone from Haro to chime in, not you glitz.

    yes or no? if yes, when. if no, thread could be closed or deleted.

  6. #6
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by IstongKowldPaRin
    thanks for your replies glitz. the werx single pivots are nowhere to be found in my country (Philippines). i still find the Shift single pivots on a bit porky side. now, your replies to my query are all but useless -- common knowledge already. i am not forcing anyone from haro to make a bike just because of me.

    now going back to the question which is still unanswered... will there be a lighter 6 inch frame coming out? I am waiting for someone from Haro to chime in, not you glitz.

    yes or no? if yes, when. if no, thread could be closed or deleted.
    Then email them direct? You posted in a forum where everyone can reply, and I replied. You can't lock me out, and I also supplied my opinion. Also, you posted mere minutes after my response, so how do you know Werks frames aren't available there? Second, you could probably find them cheap used in the US, and get them shipped. They pop up from time to time, but that's really stretching your brand loyalty. Again, many companies out there that are available in the Philipines are making lighter bikes, but I don't think that's the problem here. Maybe it's your sense of entitlement that's the problem, along with blaming the bike and not your fitness for huffing and puffing at the top of the hill, the same as the rest of us who are in shape. A lighter bike will not solve that, and the biggest difference in weight between what you're looking at and what you're riding can be removed from your body, something you're not acknowledging. Otherwise, maybe you simply bought the wrong bike and it's now the bike's problem that you bought something heavier duty when you should have gotten a lightweight XC rig.

  7. #7
    San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    289
    anyone from haro?

    can't get mr fitness glitz to shut the hell up.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    226
    If you are into XC events, buy a pure bred XC race bike (Specialized Epic, Giant Anthem, etc). From my point of view Haro doesn't make XC race bikes- they make bikes that are tough as nails and will get you through anything. The consequence of that is that they are a little heavier than others. I'm certainly not saying you can't use a Sonix as a XC race bike, you most certainly can (and I think it has potential to be a really good race bike). But I like Haro because they build tough bikes, even if they do weigh a little more.

    Mr. fitness Glitz does have a point....

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: downhilljill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,820
    We don't have any plans to release any "super light" 6" travel frames at this point. The Xeon, when built up with a lightweight spec, can get pretty damn light. Mine weighed in at about 29lbs which isn't bad for a bike with almost 6.5" of travel. Pretty respectable.

    Our goal is to build bikes that not only perform well, but hold up. Our frames might not always be the lightest on the market, but they are in line with many of our competitors. As a result we have very few warranty claims.

    I hope that helps answer your question!

  10. #10
    San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    We don't have any plans to release any "super light" 6" travel frames at this point. The Xeon, when built up with a lightweight spec, can get pretty damn light. Mine weighed in at about 29lbs which isn't bad for a bike with almost 6.5" of travel. Pretty respectable.

    Our goal is to build bikes that not only perform well, but hold up. Our frames might not always be the lightest on the market, but they are in line with many of our competitors. As a result we have very few warranty claims.

    I hope that helps answer your question!
    thanks for the usual quick reply jill.

    might just have to get a ally xc for my purposes then.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BIGHaroHucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by IstongKowldPaRin
    anyone from haro?

    can't get mr fitness glitz to shut the hell up.
    You are an ungrateful jerk. Turns out he was right...oh, slap in the face.

    I just have to laugh when it comes to people asking for help in a public forum and getting responses, maybe not what they want, but they are repsonses. They are people's opinion, which is all you can expect in a forum. If you wanted a strait from Haro answer you should have gone strait to Haro.

    I am glad you found your answer in the long run. I know that a little additional weight in exchange for durability and price is well worth it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •