mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. Warrior Pro or Haro Extreme X1?

I have been checking out different bikes to buy and I have been impressed by the Warrior Pro or Elite. But I came across the Haro Extreme X1 and it seems like a sick bike. Not sure which is better. I test rode both of them and they are different but awesome in their own way. Is Haro a better bike company since you cannot buy them online or at a big box store(Dick's or Walmart). I checked both sites, and Iron Horse and Haro seem to be great bike companies. Why do we see Iron Horse bikes and Dick's? I can understand them being sold at a respectable online bike shop but at DICK'S!!! Come on...That's not cool...They are one of the hotest bikes and bike teams around. Haro is also another hot bike company and have great teams too, but you won't see their bikes at DICK'S although I hope not...now days you never know! What's your say?

pedal, pedal, pedal

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Warrior

i'm certain you will only see the low end line up in such stores. still not happy with the branding in the slop shops but, with the current big wave the horse is riding maybe they'll pull out. anyway, it's hard to beat the elite at that price level. both great bikes but, nothing rides like a horse. my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Warrior vs Haro comparison

The Haro Shift R5 is an apples to apples comparison to the Warrior pro. Same fork, mechanical disks etc. The Haro uses a Manitou Radium shock with "stable platform" which is nice. They're going for $1K at a couple of different shops by me. I haven't weighed the Warior Pro but I weighed a Shift R5 in medium size frame and it came in at 32.5lbs.

The Extreme X3 is an apples to apples comparison to the Iron Horse Yakuza Ojiki.

The Extreme X1 is more similar to the Iron HorseYakuza Aniki product, entry level free-ride bikes with 130mm travel forks, dual chainring cranks etc.

The Haros look to be solid well built bikes. I don't need or want "lifetime tune-ups" from the local shops so buying mail-order and saving 20% by going with the Iron-Horse made sense to me.

mtbr member

Good job!

Yeah, the Haro Extremes and the Warrior Pro/Elite are both very nice bikes...it just depeds on what type of riding you plan on doing. The Haro extreme is a very nice freeride bike with 5-6" of travel...Haro has been in the bike game for a while and they have a very nice single pivot design. The Warrior line of bikes are also nice bikes but are geared more towards a agressive XC type of bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

04 Haro Extreme for $700 or less

My buddies at my local bike shop recently received some 04 Haro Extreme X1 bikes. He told me that the bike is going for $700 on the floor. I might be able to get it cheaper because I use to work there and good friends with them. How does this bike sound? Do you think $700 is still a deal on this bike.

I also found an 05 Warrior at another shop with Manitou Splice Comp 130mm Rapid Adjust, Shimano Deore front derailer, Sram X.9 rear derailer, Sram X.7 Trigger shifters, FSA Gamma crank, Crank Bros Egg Beater pedals, Hayes Solo Hydraulic brakes, WTB Motoraptor tires 2.4, for $999.99. How does this bike sound?

I don't know what the exact components are on the Haro since they just got them on close out and are still in the boxes but which bike sounds like a better deal. I know they are different bikes, but some who has been riding an Extreme X2 told me that he sets his bike up for both XC and Freeride when decides on the type of ridding he'll do that day. He told me his bike does great on both. What do you think?

Pedal, Pedal, Pedal

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sounds like you can pick up the X1 for a low price. It shares the same frame with the X2, maybe with the X3 (X3 swing arm is different though), so the foundation of the bike is solid.

My gut feeling, however, with entry level bikes like the Haro Extreme X1 or the Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki is that over time you're going to end up replacing most components for one reason or another (performance and/or lust factor). By the time you've done that, you would have been better served buying a better equipped bike from the get-go.

Keep in mind that the X1 is a freeride type bike. That means the fork angle is more relaxed (less twitchy at speed - less likely to tuck on steep downhills - not as precise on twisty XC terrain) and the seat angle is more kicked back (lower center of gravity but poorer climbing manners). It also comes with a dual rather than triple chain rings. It is probably built a bit beefier than a typical XC bike also. Sure, it can be ridden anywhere but when it comes time to climb long pitches, you've got one hand tied behind your back. A shock with lock-out would be be a god-send for that - but there's a costly upgrade from day one.

The same caveats apply to freeriding the Warrior Pro. It's a well built bike for sure but it isn't intended to be constantly hucked off big drops. I debated whether I too should purchase a free ride style bike. I had to be honest with myself though. How much lift served or car shuttle type riding am I going to do? Damn little unfortunately. Nope, these days my riding is limited to XC jaunts close to home, so that pretty much made up my mind for me.