mtbr member
    Apr 2009

used 2008 flightline comp or shift r1?

trying to find a bike to buy and i've come across a used 2008 flightline comp and a used 2008 shift r1, what are both of these bikes worth and which one should i end up going with?
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Shift !!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Are both bikes the right size for you? *most important question*

What is the riding like in Arlington? Much elevation change? A lot of technical stuff? Will you being riding the bike as a source of transportation? Or is it just for recreation?

What is your level of experience? If you've ridden a mt. bike before, what do you prefer, setting personal best times on a loop, or searching out the gnarliest terrain that you can find?
    [SIZE="1"]MTBR disclaimer- Work in the industry from time 2 time. For the majority of the stuff that I use, I didn't pay retail price.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Shift!!!!!!!

If you are going to get into mountain biking, go with the shift. I bought a hardtail about 5 years ago, and I regretted it!! After I went on my first real single track ride I knew I made a mistake. I paid $700 for that bike, and my wife made me put up with it for 4 years. Last year I was able to buy a Sonix, and could not believe how much better the full suspension bike went down the trail. I have so much more confidence going down technical trails now, and it climbs as good as a hardtail. I'm just telling you this so you don't make the same mistake.

mtbr member
    b.ray asks some great questions...all of which should be taken into consideration when buying a new bike. If your local trails don't have a whole lot of elevation change and not much super technical terrain, then the Flightline Comp might be a good choice for you. The FL Comp has a better parts spec on it than the Shift R1...plus you get a 9-speed drive train with the Comp.

However, if you are planning on riding some fairly technical terrain, then a full-suspension bike like the Shift R1 would be a great choice.