mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New question here. Upgrading forks on 2005 Zero(thread) Eight

Hey guys, sold my X3 I built last summer, but love Haro's too much so I bought an 05 Zero Eight. It is in the mail as we speak/type lol and has 100mm travel manitou splice's on it, they are blue. I will be looking to upgrade and want to know what you guys recomend. What is the max travel good/safe for this bike? I know they new thread eights (which look like the same fram) come with 130mm manitou splice's. Anyways, I want minimum 130mm+ I'm looking at DJ3's, 2004 Marz Z1 FR with 130mm or 150mm, or maybe a drop off IV. Now what about going dual corwn with a BoXXeR at 170mm, or is that waaaaay too much travel? What other forks would you guys suggest? Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coop3422
    Hey guys, sold my X3 I built last summer, but love Haro's too much so I bought an 05 Zero Eight. It is in the mail as we speak/type lol and has 100mm travel manitou splice's on it, they are blue. I will be looking to upgrade and want to know what you guys recomend. What is the max travel good/safe for this bike? I know they new thread eights (which look like the same fram) come with 130mm manitou splice's. Anyways, I want minimum 130mm+ I'm looking at DJ3's, 2004 Marz Z1 FR with 130mm or 150mm, or maybe a drop off IV. Now what about going dual corwn with a BoXXeR at 170mm, or is that waaaaay too much travel? What other forks would you guys suggest? Thanks for your help
    The bike come stock as you mention with 100mm fork, so if you must... go for 120mm but anything more then that is not what this bike is for.
    (not sure what i'm doing in this forum anyway).

Unfit Norwegian
    I believe the new (2007) Thread Eight has an 80mm Marzocchi DJ4, but the 2006 models (Zero/Thread Eight) had a 130mm splice, right? I don't know what it had in 2005, though. The frames are different, and designed around forks with different travel, mind you. BTW: Weren't the 2005's called Zero, and not Thread?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yes they were called zero eight, here is the link to the one i bought. what do you guys think?
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/245814/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i would say what tell downhilljill might reply. she knows her stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ya, shes awesome, she helped me a lot in my har x3 build up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coop3422
    ya, shes awesome, she helped me a lot in my har x3 build up
    Well, thank you very much!

Coop...I answered most alol of the questions you asked here in your other thread.

Dazed...yes, the 2007 Threads are designed for an 80mm fork. The 2006 Zero and Thread Eights were designed for 130mm forks. We didn't produce these bikes in 2005; they were a 2006 release. The very first production run in 2006 were called Zero's, but we ran into a little name use issue with another manufacturer, so we changed the name to Thread.