mtbr member
    May 2006

Sonix VL120 Main pivot help please

Hi all

First of all, thanks for helping me hook up with a Haro. I mentioned some months ago how impressed I was with the ride, so I hunted and hunted, and I eventually got one. Believe me, it has been an intense few months of bike hunting!

I took delivery of a new Haro Sonix VL120 on Tuesday 23rd Sept. I bought the bike new from ebay (the seller owns/works for a bike shop, and appears to be listing items via ebay). I noticed on Thursday that it was creaking (it has only done 19.3kms - and we don't have mountains here, so no crazy pedalling etc. Only bush bashing single track). Because I am new to the bike, I avoided the main pivot and moved onto tightening/lubing the cranks and bottom bracket (which I am familiar with). The creaking still persisted so I went onto the main pivot. I found that a nut on the drive side was not tight at all. In fact, it spun freely and I was able to remove it with my fingers! Here is what it looks like:

I am assuming it is meant to screw on, and be reasonably tight. The nut appears to be fine because I was able to switch it with the one on the other side and screw it on the non-drive side. At this stage, it looks like the threads on the rod/bolt are stuffed. A few questions...

Is the rod that the nut screws onto one piece (runs thru the frame)?
    Is this a known problem?
    Can I use a different nut with a smaller inner diameter?
    How much does a main pivot kit cost?
    Does it include this rod?
    I did buy the bike from ebay, but it did come from a bike shop, so I am not sure what my warranty options are. I do stress that this bike is only 19.3kms old, and I do have the freight notes as evidence that I received the bike on Tuesday.

All advice welcome.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Update:
    Contacted the bike shop. He's going to look into this for me. Fingers crossed. Might as well grab a spare pivot kit whilst I am at it. Still would like info about the main pivot in terms of how it hangs together and bearings it uses - don't suppose there is a video somewhere of it being disassembled? GT had one for their I-Drives.

mtbr member
    Sounds like your shop has this handled. The new bolt will feature an updated nut that's shaped like a little cone. It looks better and is more secure.

Even though this was a new frame, it's always a good idea to check the torque on all of the bolts just to make sure. Stuff sometimes works itself loose from time to time.