mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Sonix Shock Question

I am using the stock shock on mine and I have noticed if I run it at the proper psi which is around 90 based on the set up/sag guide it seems to be very very stiff (like hard tail stiff) even with rebound and stuff and the lockout off and the gate open. If I let most of the air out of the shock the suspension feels plush like my GT Force with my Fox RP23 shock. Has anyone else expierenced this? Is it just the shock needs break in time or what?

mtbr member
    Have you ridden the bike off road yet? Does it only feel stiff in the parking lot/street? Keep in mind that the Sonix Virtual Link suspension is designed to ramp up and feel firm on climbs and on the flats. It will "break free" and feel plusher on descents and on technical terrain.

When you set up the sag, make sure that the gate is open. Once you have the correct amount of sag, then you can use the gate setting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah I set it up just as it was recommended and its still very stiff even on trails. I may just go ahead and slap a Fox RP23 on there. What is the size of the shock?

mtbr member
    You can experiement with different air pressures to see what works for you. 10mm of sag tends to be the magic number, but you might be better off with closer to 12mm. You won't hurt the frame and/or shock by running less pressure than we recommend (within reason of course...you do want SOME air in the shock!).

Here are the shock specs:
    Eye to eye: 190mm
    Stroke: 50.9mm
    Hardware: 25.4mm spacers on both ends; M6 bolts

You can't go wrong with the RP23. I've had one on every Sonix I own and love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So the 7.5 x 2.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prostreet513
    So the 7.5 x 2.0
    Yeppers.