mtbr member

Sonix 650b shock question

So Ive put in a full season with my Sonix now. I love this bike!
    However as my fitness has come back I am finding the rear suspension not up to the task of faster, longer rides. 30 miles of rocky ridge riding ( Iron Mtn. Damascus, Virgina ) Saturday
    wore my tail slap out. On faster descents I am forced out of the saddle as the rear end feels like riding a jack hammer. The bike climbs with the best and the White Bros fork does the job. I just wish I could get a little more cush out of the rear shock. So my question is With my sag already at 18% would an upgrade to another shock help? Or is this just the trade-off for the xc pedaling of this design?

mtbr member
    Do you still have the stock Monarch 3.3 rear shock on the bike? If so, how do you have your compression damping set? The gold dial will allow you to dial in the amount of compression damping...if you have a lot of damping on it, that might be why it's riding a little stiff.

Also...and this is splitting hairs...the amount of sag should be at 20% or about 10mm. I don't know that the 2% would make any difference, but I don't know that it wouldn't either. You might also experiment with a little more sag...20% is optimal, but you might try a little more than that. You might lose a little climbing prowess, but you'd just have to see.

mtbr member
    Thank you Jill, I had not touched the compression at all and the knob was gritted up. finally worked it free and realized it had been at near full fast. which would explain the jack hammer I guess! If I go to far into a slower setting things will bottom out at high speed I assume? So I have set it in the middle. thank you again, your not just selling bikes you know My sonix provides fitness and stress relief in spades!

nothing relevant to say
    I have a stock 650b Sonix question. what is the headtube angle on this bike. The website link seems to group all the Sonix into a single lump. While the 26" Sonix are based around a 100mm fork, the B has a 120. And what is (was )the standover height on the Med and Sml SonixB? TIA

(doh-I read the OP title as STOCK QUESTION not SHOCK) oops

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    I have a stock 650b Sonix question. what is the headtube angle on this bike. The website link seems to group all the Sonix into a single lump. While the 26" Sonix are based around a 100mm fork, the B has a 120. And what is (was )the standover height on the Med and Sml SonixB? TIA

(doh-I read the OP title as STOCK QUESTION not SHOCK) oops
    The HA of the Sonix 650B is 70 degrees. The standover on the 16" size is 30.2" and 31.3"on the 18" size.