Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

so i just got my new extreme x7.... bad news

intially it was good rolling aroud the house. so today i finally got to take it to a local dh trail. we decided not to shuttle to the top at after about an hour of dragging that beast to the top i was pumped to finally get this thing rolling. so we hit the first few little roller jumps and on the first jump, a small 2 foot tall about 5 foot gap, i landed perfect back wheel touching down just before the front. well as soon as i landed the front wheel down i heard a weird noise and next thing i know i wake up with a face full of dirt. i looked over and my front wheel resembled a pringles chip. hopefully haro will warranty the wheel.

mtbr member
    Ouch. Not something we hear too often about the wheels on that bike; they are pretty beefy. Take the bike to your local Haro dealer. They will inspect the bike and contact us on your behalf.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i'm heading to the shop tomorrow... what do u think the chances are of me getting a new wheel? i kno of a similar situation with a Giant and they sent the guy a new wheel without even having the shop send the wheel back to them. hopefully Haro will do they same for me. that will def get mad props from me if they do

mtbr member
    Just depends on what the shop has to say about the wheel after they inspect it. We rely on the shop to be our eyes. Technically, we don't have to do anything about the wheel since we didn't actually produce the rim...Sun did. Our warranty is limited to the frame; each part manufacturer has their own set of warranty rules and guidelines.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Brody,
    Don't worry too much about the wheel, Haro the best Customer service out there.

Not trying to hijack, but Jill, your link to your .357 for sale does not work.

Three sheets to the wind
    It shouldn't be a problem, I broke the floating brake on my 357 the first day out, and the seat post later in the season and my dealer was great about the whole thing....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ok i'll definetely post the result of haro's customer service so hopefully they will come through for me

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    well looks like i'm on my own about the wheel.... looks like from reviews on other sites these rims are just plain crap. very disapointing. i've been out of riding any kind of bike for a couple weeks due to this issue along with the concussion and sprained shoulder that came with it... and it'll be another week or so before i can get some decent rims to lace up. oh well overall not a good experience but i guess thats life. hopefully my shoulder isnt going to be a long term issue and ruin my dh season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm pretty sure almost every manufacturer would say no to a warranty claim on a tacoed wheel too -- that stuff usually happens because of crashing hard (casing something, getting your wheel stuck in a root / rock / rut and twisting, etc. etc.) and usually in circumstances where it's rider error. not to say that was the case in your instance, but the vast majority of wheel failures like yours aren't a result of mechanical defects.

hope you recover well. take it easy coming back from a head injury and a shoulder injury! the shoulder's especially easy to reinjure if your body hasn't recovered fully.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brody_frdh
    so we hit the first few little roller jumps and on the first jump, a small 2 foot tall about 5 foot gap, i landed perfect back wheel touching down just before the front. well as soon as i landed the front wheel down i heard a weird noise and ..........
    Root. Rock, Stick............................................. ..............................................Gap

What was the noise you heard??? spokes, and cased/pinched rim/tube ???

Three sheets to the wind
    That truly creates a vacuum...perhaps Jill could help. Dude, I broke the seatpost and Haro made good on it...

What kind of wheel was it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawitdaba
    That truly creates a vacuum...perhaps Jill could help. Dude, I broke the seatpost and Haro made good on it...

What kind of wheel was it?
    This is a different situation; the post was Pivit branded so it's our post.

In this case, these are Sun rims. Some of the parts vendors we work with let us handle warranty issues directly, but most prefer to handle their own warranty stuff. Sun handles their own warranty issues, so we are not responsible for taking care of this wheel.

Brody...just as an FYI, your shop called about this and said I promised you a new wheel. I think you know this isn't the case.

Folks, if I give you guidance on warranty issues here on MTBR, please don't go into your shop and tell the shop staff that "Jill said Haro would take care of this". The advice I will always give all of you is to take the bike to you shop to inspect the bike. The shop will inspect the bike and contact us on your behalf. This may or may not result in us replacing the part/frame in question depending on the situation.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    FWIW, your shop should have check the wheel tension before sending it out.

Realization that "extreme" is a marketing term and not a worthiness tag came at a steep price for you - mostly your wellness, but also the bike. How much confidence are you going to have in the rest of the bike when the wheels that they put on it have crapped on day 1?

I would have returned it to the shop. You are obviously an experienced rider with some understanding of use, given your willingness to seek out and hit drops/gaps correctly. They should have understood your intent with the bike and ensured that it was the right tool for the job. They failed, either in evaluating your situation or making a sell on something that wasn't what you needed.

Bottom line is - trusting components, especially off-the-shelf ones, is very short-sighted when you are putting life and limb on the line. Good equipment can break too, but does so far less often and often in lesser degree. Good equipment is a small price to pay for an insurance policy! Check over each and every component that can suffer from catastrophic failures, and feel confident that your bike won't fall apart under you.

Good luck and hope you heal soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    This is a different situation; the post was Pivit branded so it's our post.

In this case, these are Sun rims. Some of the parts vendors we work with let us handle warranty issues directly, but most prefer to handle their own warranty stuff. Sun handles their own warranty issues, so we are not responsible for taking care of this wheel.

Brody...just as an FYI, your shop called about this and said I promised you a new wheel. I think you know this isn't the case.

Folks, if I give you guidance on warranty issues here on MTBR, please don't go into your shop and tell the shop staff that "Jill said Haro would take care of this". The advice I will always give all of you is to take the bike to you shop to inspect the bike. The shop will inspect the bike and contact us on your behalf. This may or may not result in us replacing the part/frame in question depending on the situation.
    wait a second. i know exactly what the shop said. how do i know this? i work there. i know what i'm talking about and i showed the shop owner what your post said. i DID NOT tell him that u said that i was getting a new wheel. regardless of any of that i'm just disappoined in the rims and the fact that u posted back saying there was a chance of a new wheel when the warranty fellow said it wasnt even a warranty issue for them because of the crash(even though the failing product was the cause of it).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    characterzero- thanks for the well wishes. the wheel was properly tensioned. the shop owner has been in the industry longer than alot of us have been alive let along riding bikes. if u read the reveiws on these rims they get very poor ratings except from the xc crowd... which doesnt make alot of sense that they would be using these rims for xc as they are marketed for big bikes

mtbr member
    Show me where exactly I said there was a chance the wheel would be warrantied by Haro.

For any warranty issue, whether it be our frame or parts we use, your shop is your first point of contact. They will inspect the damage and contact us on your behalf. At that point, our warranty department will advise whether or not it's a part we take care of or not. In the case of Sun rims, it's Sun's issue because they prefer to take care of warranty issues on their own. Each supplier is different.

Have you contacted Sun? I suggest you contact them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brody_frdh
    so we hit the first few little roller jumps and on the first jump, a small 2 foot tall about 5 foot gap, i landed perfect back wheel touching down just before the front.

Submitted by Brody a Downhiller from Georgia
    Date Reviewed: 1/24/2008 6:51:46 PM
    FavoriteTrail: Seep and Deep
    Duration Product Used: Less than 1 month
    Purchased At: local bike shop
    Strengths: strengths... hmm well this rim is crap. came stock on my haro x7 and on the very first ride it tacoed
    Weaknesses: this product is indeed weak
    Similar Products Tried: deemax
    Bike Setup: x7... new deemax's on da way
    Bottom Line: only buy this if.... ok honestly dont buy these rims. on the very first ride and very first small 8 ft gap jump the front wheel tacoed. if u buy these U ARE DUMB
    Value Rating: Overall Rating:

...... So gaps get bigger with time ???? . Remember you also work in a bike shop and posting what you have IMO isn't the best professional course to take. AND leads one to be suspect as to who built up the bike out of the box

Heres who you should talk to and you should send them a picture also .........
    http://www.sun-ringle.com/contact.php5

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Just depends on what the shop has to say about the wheel after they inspect it. We rely on the shop to be our eyes.
    hmm ok so what is this supposed to mean? sounds like a possibility it may be warrantied. what? i needed to get the wheel inspected even though haro wont do anything about it? i dont know why you r are trying to get the last word in this jill. u would think an employee at haro would do their best to smooth things over with a customer instead of posting a "what u got to say to that" type comment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    i would expect the x7 to handle an 8 ft gap jump considering my escape could very likely handle one(havent tried yet) regardless, i dont understand why the story changed, and why brody frdh was concerned about getting a new wheel without taking the broken one into the shop. why would it matter if you work there, or if the wheel is broken. i think theres something off about this story. ive also seen haro replace an entire mary frame for a guy whose dropouts got wrecked by chainsuck. haro as far as ive seen has excellent policies. finally, check the reviews on these rims. a 2.22 out of 5. i look at all the parts that come on my bike to see that i get exactly what i want. if i were to spend a couple grand on a bike, i would definitely look for quality components. just because you spend a lot of money on a bike doesnt mean your getting quality. do some research buddy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    dude, stop being such a clown. mountain biking is hard on equipment. it sucks that you broke your wheel but it happens and you need to move on.

whatever you think about your bike or its spec, if you read any number of threads in the haro forum, you'll know that dhjill is one of the most open and accomodating representatives for haro that you'll find. i also think that she's pretty forthcoming when it comes to how 'the industry' works from a supplier standpoint.

that's a position you don't see too often, mostly, i assume b/c of threads like this one...
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Jill has always been great. And went out of her way to help people. So for your bent rim, If you have ridden fo any amount of time you will know that is a way of life esp. for f/r.

mtbr member

Small world ..... then the truth

Well what a small world it is......

Read down the first post to solve the riddle of this topic...... looks like rider error/inexperience finally surfaced.

http://www.sorba.org/forum/viewtopic...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

mtbr member
    Hmmm...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Busted... I bet Haro is glad they gave him an EP deal on it now...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    oh dont worry haro wont have to worry about me doing business with them again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast