mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New question here. Slipping Housing Clips - how can I modify?

Yesterday I had a heck of time trying to install Gore Ride-On Sealed shifter cables. Since I had been running full housing all the way through, I didn't foresee the problem: the housing stops aren't really housing stops, just clips. So, when there is tension on the cable, the housing slips out of the clips and slides up the cable.

Since I've already gotten the (expensive!) cables installed, I'd like to find a way to keep the sections of housing from slipping. Has anyone else had this problem or does everyone run full housing the whole way?

I did try wrapping some electrical tape around the ferrules on the housing to make the fit more snug, but with enough tension, they will slip.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    tape around the entire top tube / down tube (wherever your housing is situated) but underneath the cables / housing and then zip tie / zap strap the housing to your frame. the tape is to keep the tie from damaging your frame.

it's a little unsightly but will work.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'll give that a shot... at this point I'm not too concerned with how it looks... just how it works!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Didn't work

How frustrating! I tried taping around the frame, and zip tying the housing to the tube... and it didn't work, just slipped right out as soon as I shifted. The only other option i see would be to epoxy or JB Weld the ferrule on the housing to a ziptie that goes through the little slots where the crappy housing clips are supposed to go. That should hold the housing, right? And no epoxy will get on my frame, just to the zip tie.

any other ideas?

ride hard take risks
    Sometimes zip tying the cable housing to the frame at no stress areas for a month or so it gets a memory where it will stay then cut the ties off. Doesnt always work but sometimes it does. Havent tried this, wrap a small piece of inner tube around housing then slip the clip over, might be a tight fit but might work.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Still slipped out with electrical tape wrapped around the ferrules. AND still slipped when I JB Welded the ferrules to zip ties. The JB Weld cracked off the ferrules when I shifted.

I think the Haro Sonix is not made to have exposed cables.... am I right? Any more suggestions? I'm about to give up and unlace the cable, add housing to the exposed parts and hope I can push the bent cable back through

ride hard take risks
    Can you please post a couple picks of the situation im missing something here.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sure, here are photos showing the whole setup with the exposed cables and adapted housing "stops"... you can see a couple broken JB Welded ones, as well as some that stayed put. All it takes is one breaking though, and the system won't work.

(I hope these photos work, I've never attached photos to a post before..)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slipping Housing Clips - how can I modify?-img_2693.jpg  

Slipping Housing Clips - how can I modify?-img_2705.jpg  

Slipping Housing Clips - how can I modify?-img_2706.jpg  

Slipping Housing Clips - how can I modify?-img_2707.jpg  

ride hard take risks
    Awesome pics bro.

You are correct you have to run full length cable housing only.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks. I hope I can reuse the cable since everything is brand new ..... :/

ride hard take risks
    Cable should be fine just be careful where the locking plate has smashed the cable. Take extra care making sure it is as straight as possible and the end is not frayed.
    Formotion Products