mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Shortening Travel on an X7

I just recently started cruising the Haro forum. Ive been stoked on my X7 since day one and the journey has been wonderful.

I have recently experimented with cockpit and suspension changes and the thought crossed my mind of installing a shorter length eye-to-eye shock in my bike. The extremely thin FSA orbit E headset and 40 mm stem have brought my front end down nice and low. I think a more downhill oriented head angle would benefit my riding style along with a more active rear suspension.

Any ideas?

Bike is currently running a PUSHed Van R with 300 lb steel spring. Will be re-installing my 350 lb titanium spring soon. The 300 was an experiment that Im glad I performed however it was a hair too spongy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Why shorten? Just get an x.6 instead or get a Cane Creek Angelset. Adjustable from plus of minus .5 deg to 1.5 degrees.

mtbr member
    You really don't want to install a different length shock on your X7. With a shorter eye-to-eye, you run the risk of the rear tire buzzing your seat tube...which could have pretty nasty results.

If you want to slacken your head angle, you can always install a longer-travel fork. While we can't recommend this because installing aftermarket equipment that exceeds the original spec will void your warranty, people have done it before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    X6? no go - its all-mtn

tire rub - legit concern.. i would think that the adjustment would be minute in regards to how close the tire gets to the seat tube. longer travel fork? raises front end back up to where it was. bit more slack, though.

short travel downhill rig that encourages a rider to use the entire course and pick lines with the greatest scrutiny is what I strive for.

I will take some rudimentary measurements and talk with my engineering buddy. THANKS yall..

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    http://www.canecreek.com/AngleSet

Cane Creek Angelset, That should fix your dilemma.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by atenciole
    http://www.canecreek.com/AngleSet

Cane Creek Angelset, That should fix your dilemma.
    I have a 1.5 steer tube Domain.

I will update this thread after I take some measurements.

The bike might be perfect as is actually. front end is suuuper low

ride hard take risks
    Matt go ride the bike and have fun, measurements are just that they are not real world when you factor in sag and suspension changing angles constantly. As The Goddess said you will buzz the rear tire by going to a shorter shock and that really suxz especially when it locks up the wheel on drops an impacts.

Adjust the bike to fit your riding.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot