mtbr member
    Mar 2009

New question here. Shift R5- Right pressure for shock?

I recently upgraded the fork of my Shift R5 to a Reba and now I´m on the process tuning both the fork and shock to work together.
    The shock is a RockShox Ario 2.1 and I´m wondering what´s the right pressure for the shock considering that my weight is more or less 200 pounds with riding gear? My frame is a size 18 and my rides include mostly trailriding but from time to time I ride some downhills.
    I´ve set it with 15% sag but at some times I feel like I´m using too much travel… Could some Shift owners share some insight on this matter?
    Thanks in advance…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shift R5- Right pressure for shock?-shift_shock.jpg  

mtbr member
    On the Shift bikes, most people run about 20% to 25% sag. There isn't a PSI guide that says "If you weigh____ amount, inflate shock to _____ PSI", so maybe some folks will chime in on what pressure they are using.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks a lot Jill, I´m sure that measuring sag in the end is the most practical way of dealing with this. I think setting the sag has a lot to do with getting comfortable with the transition of riding a double suspension bike coming from a hardtail…
    By the way Jill, now that I´ve got a fork with a 20mm thru-axle, what other parts do you think I would need to upgrade in order to be able to use it for a little dirt jumping? My guess would be wheelset, the handlebar and the stem….

mtbr member
    Wheelset, bar, and stem are a great place to start if you already have a fork. I can't tell what cranks you have...are they the stock Truvativ Firex with an outboard bearing BB? Those cranks are billed by Truvativ as XC cranks. If you are just going be doing some light DJ stuff, you'll likely be OK...but if you are going to go bigger, you might want to upgrade to cranks that are more suited to that type of riding like a set of Ruktions or Hussefelts. Just keep in mind that the Firex cranks aren't designed for DJ use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hey Jill thanks a lot for al the answers you have given to me. In any case I would stick to light dirtjumping, since I´m basically just learning in order to broaden my skills…

well there´s not a whole bunch of skills to talk, but this bike is helping me improve my game.

mtbr member
    I weigh 225 with gear and I run 148 lbs of air in the shock. That gives me about 30% sag. Although, I am using a different shock that has an adjustable platform. The platform is nice because I'll run more air if I plan on doing a long XC ride and run lower platform pressure if I'm riding more downhill stuff to get a more plush ride.