Central High 269!!!

Schwinn Rocket Comp vs. Haro Shift R3

I am a 15 year old who has a budget of $800 and am going to be buying a new bike (first "real mtb) for the upcoming season. Which bike is better performance/quality wise?
    I ride technical singletrack by the way.

Never worng!
    Quote Originally Posted by extremeb
    I am a 15 year old who has a budget of $800 and am going to be buying a new bike (first "real mtb) for the upcoming season. Which bike is better performance/quality wise?
    I ride technical singletrack by the way.
    Well first -
    What type of riding will you be doing?
    Trails, downhill, dirt jumps, urban, etc.?

Central High 269!!!
    I am strictly agressive Xc. no dj, dh, fr, u name it. I ride in PA so i come across roots and rocks pretty often and need a reliable fs bike to meet these requirements. I am trying to find a fs mtb for under $850. The bikes that have really caught my eye are the Haro Shift R3 and the Schwinn Rocket Comp? If you have other suggestions, feel free to suggest.
    Last edited by extremeb; 03-02-2006 at 06:06 PM.

Never worng!
    Take a look at the Iron Horse Warrior
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl;jsession...4&it=A&id=7980
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=3050#
    Performance is having a sale. Also check around for a coupon for an additional discount.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Verewolf
    Take a look at the Iron Horse Warrior
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl;jsession...4&it=A&id=7980
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=3050#
    Performance is having a sale. Also check around for a coupon for an additional discount.
    Go back to the old avitar, no drip intended.

Central High 269!!!
    these are pretty sweet bikes but i only trust my lbs. I have the Schwinn Roccket Comp and the Haro Shift r3. What do you guys think?
    my lbs also have these companies - trek, cannondale, specialized, santa cruz, and kona if you want to suggest any other bikes to meet my requirements

Never worng!
    these are pretty sweet bikes but i only trust my lbs. I have the Schwinn Roccket Comp and the Haro Shift r3. What do you guys think?
    my lbs also have these companies - trek, cannondale, specialized, santa cruz, and kona if you want to suggest any other bikes to meet my requirements
    From what you want to spend the Iron Horse and Haro are a good bet.
    Unless you want to go with a HT then a whole new dimension opens up.

Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Go back to the old avitar, no drip intended.
    I just thought it was about time someone spoke up and made a statement against Drips.

mtbr member
    if those are the brands available to you, I would go with the Shift. I would, however ask about the Spec. FSR XC in last years model. A LBS here had the base model for arround 800 bucks, so your shop may be able to get you a deal. Also, maybe a shop in another town could hook you up with a Jamis Dakar to ride.

Good luck

Matt

Central High 269!!!
    wow, the specialized does look pretty sweet. I'm gonna check that out. But fot the Dakar, i'm purely out of luck because of this bs a couple of miles from here has the worst service ever!
    How does the Specialized Fsr Xc ride if you have one?
    What would you pick between the Specialized Fsr Xc and the Haro Shift R3?

Thanks in advance

ride hard take risks
    wow, the specialized does look pretty sweet. I'm gonna check that out. But fot the Dakar, i'm purely out of luck because of this bs a couple of miles from here has the worst service ever!
    How does the Specialized Fsr Xc ride if you have one?
    What would you pick between the Specialized Fsr Xc and the Haro Shift R3?

Thanks in advance
    I would go Haro Shift R3. Haro makes great bikes the hold up very well. My son has a Haro XC bike that i converted for DH & now it's back to semi XC but being used as a AM bike, 6 years old now, the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a Schwinn Rocket 2 that I road for about five months. The frame did not hold up and now clicks. I would buy something else.

Central High 269!!!
    Thanx for the opinions!
    I have completely forgot about the Schwinn right about now since noone even seems to notice it exists. So my new debate is between the Specialized Fsr-XC and the Haro Shift R3. I am going to go to my lbs soon to test these bikes out and see which one is better for my riding conditions of agressive Xc.
    Yo, I have an account on Squidoo...Check Me Out!

Never worng!
    Thanx for the opinions!
    I have completely forgot about the Schwinn right about now since noone even seems to notice it exists. So my new debate is between the Specialized Fsr-XC and the Haro Shift R3. I am going to go to my lbs soon to test these bikes out and see which one is better for my riding conditions of agressive Xc.
    If you're looking at the FsrXC I'd look at the Haro Shift R5.
    The R5 is about $200 less than the FsrXC.
    The big difference for me is the Haro R3 and R5 have 4 1/2" of travel and are single pivot.
    The FsrXC is 4" of travel.

If you'll be riding over some rough trails the Haro would be a better choice.
    Strictly my opinion.

Central High 269!!!
    im sorry, I'm going to check out the 05 Specialized FSR-XC (because my lbs is most likely going to give me a decent discount because i cannot afford 1100 dollars for a bike) and the 06 Haro R3.
    Now what do you say?
    Last edited by extremeb; 03-04-2006 at 06:24 PM.
    Yo, I have an account on Squidoo...Check Me Out!

Never worng!
    Buying a bike is a personal choice.
    Ride them both and buy the one you like best.
    They're both good bikes.
    Post a picture of the one you buy so we can all drool.

cycle dad

the schwinn is underrated

check the reviews on the schwinn rocket comp. This bike blew everyone's minds with its value. Its only downside was the front suspension and that wont be an is for a smaller rider. My cousin has one and I am jealous of what he got. I recomend looking for one for under 600 though because they are out there. He paid 280 on craig's list.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by taletotell
    check the reviews on the schwinn rocket comp. This bike blew everyone's minds with its value. Its only downside was the front suspension and that wont be an is for a smaller rider. My cousin has one and I am jealous of what he got. I recomend looking for one for under 600 though because they are out there. He paid 280 on craig's list.
    Think the OP has been riding a few bikes in the last three years since he posted this.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Like a few people have said, buy the bike that feels the best to you. You are spending a lot of your hard earned cash on a bike, so it should be comfortable and fit you well. Bikes are a very personal choice...different bikes appeal to different people. If one bike was the "it" bike for everyone, there would be a LOT of bike companies out of business!

The one thing I will say about the Shift frames is they are pretty bomber. Single pivot bikes are simple to set up and easy to maintain since they only have one main pivot to service. I can also tell you that our slopestyle guys ride Shift bikes in many of their competitions...and they ride stock frames without any modifications at all.