a.k.a. BicycleKicks

Respect the 2004 XLS R7... THE XC KILLER

I'm going through a retro streak and decided to dismantle my Intense Spider, put the nice parts on my old-school single pivot Haro, and race it this weekend...introducing THE XC KILLER. I feel fast just looking at it.

I'm thinking about flipping the stem or swapping it with another to get that high rise bar a bit lower and I've recently come to the conclusion that the Shimano Hollowtech cranks are stiffer than the Race Face Deus... maybe going to get a set of XT cranks instead.

Other than that, this bike leaves NOTHING to be desired for a do-it-all XC bike... I'm glad I kept it after buying the Spider frame.

Anyone else have XLS pics to post?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Sweet build! The XLS/Shift bikes kick ass; very close in geometry to a Santa Cruz Superlight for a fraction of the cost. Have fun on it, Rich.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

Thanks... now I have to take it apart again!

Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Sweet build! The XLS/Shift bikes kick ass; very close in geometry to a Santa Cruz Superlight for a fraction of the cost. Have fun on it, Rich.
    Thanks, but now I have to take it apart again... 2 days after putting it together! I raced in the absolute worst muddy conditions I could've imagined today... so off come the parts for a good cleaning.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I almost always get nice comments on the bike wherever I go, and sure enough on the starting line today someone was asking me about it and telling me they liked it... that's a good feeling.

EDIT: that THE shroud kept the mud off my face and jersey... those things rule.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    XLS 2004 and Shift 2005 are almost twins
    http://archive.velozona.ru/photos/sales/95b.png