mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New Shift r3...Very Bummed

Just bought a new 2009 Shft r3, seemed like a good bike for the money. Got it home and rode down the street a few times and after about 5 minutes it began making ugly noises from the pivot or BB. Took it back to the bike shop and they spent about an hour tearing it apart to then tell me it needed lube on the pivot. Then i went for a one hour ride and the noises are coming back as the rear suspension travels and I pedal. Also during my inspection of the rear, I noticed that the rear wheel is not at all in line with the front tire, eyeballing it with the frame. Well I'm pretty disapointed about the bike ( I've had it less then a week) and hope the shop will take it back or help me out... any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by sch84; 03-08-2010 at 12:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Did you buy this a your LBS? They should work with you to resolve the problems, it's what sets them apart from the bigbox stores. Otherwise threaten better business bureau. It's your wallet or your (p)ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I took it back to the LBS for the second time in a week, they are hopefully getting something resolved through Haro...I think...keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyone else have noise issues with their Shift frame? I searched and only found one other thread that seemed old.

mtbr member
    Please let us know how this turns out for you. We have very few issues with Shift frames...what makes them so awesome is that they are pretty simple. There should be a very simple solution to this. Hopefully your shop has been in touch with our warranty department.

mtbr member
    I have never had one squeak or sound come from the pivot on my shift frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    a little mean sorry...
    Last edited by NKbiker; 03-11-2010 at 12:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It dose have upsides donít get me wrong, it works best on downhills  and the drive components are very reliable. I am fairly disappointed because the place I bought my bike, ski market, is going under so they are not very helpful with the problems I have had from the start. The brakes are my only fear because of the danger they may cause me. Did anyone else have problems with theirs?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by NKbiker
    It dose have upsides donít get me wrong, it works best on downhills  and the drive components are very reliable. I am fairly disappointed because the place I bought my bike, ski market, is going under so they are not very helpful with the problems I have had from the start. The brakes are my only fear because of the danger they may cause me. Did anyone else have problems with theirs?
    The LBS closing is not a reason to take it out on Haro unfortunately the shops attitude is were closing so your skrewed. The brake cables may need proper routing or set up this is something the LBS is responsible for when they un-crate a bike.

sch84 your noise can be coming from one or two of many places possibly the seat noise travels through the hallow tubes and can sound like its somewhere else. Squeaks can sometimes be annoying to diagnose be patient, lucky its a SP only 2 bearings and 1 pivot to deal with.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well I picked up the bike yesterday from the store where they took it apart and relubed the pivot. I rode yesterday for about 70 minutes and so far so good, but the employee said that he contacted Haro and they are sending new pivot hardware in a few days.

The noise is definitely not from the seat as I already handled that sound, and the noise could be made while out of the sadle either pedleing or not. I have to say that I do like the way the bike rides, just hope it doesn't become a maintenance headache over time.

The bike shop has been pretty cool about the whole issue.

I hope this thread did not come off as Haro bashing, as that was not my intent, I was just frustrated after spending a grand on something that makes more noise then my relic old bike.

ride hard take risks
    Your in good hands with Haro, they may not be the Big manufacture but that gives them the time to listen to their customers and help if needed better then those big name brands. Their is also a great group of people here on the Haro forum chiming in whenever possible, awesome community.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Your in good hands with Haro, they may not be the Big manufacture but that gives them the time to listen to their customers and help if needed better then those big name brands. Their is also a great group of people here on the Haro forum chiming in whenever possible, awesome community.
    Thanks buddy! We aim to please....

Sounds like the issue has been resolved. If anything else comes up, please let us know.