Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: New Haro owner

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madweazl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    29

    New Haro owner

    My MTB was stolen 2 days ago so today I went down to the LBS to have a look. They had an '08 Shift R5 for a good price so I picked it up. Doesnt look like a whole lot is different on the latest but I was curious of the travel on the '08? I was hoping 120mm but it may be 100mm. No big deal, I'm very happy with it so far; big upgrade from my previous Diamondback Recoil.












    Installed the Shimano XT rear brakes I'd ordered for the bike that was stolen but wasnt able to get the SRAM 990 cassette on yet because the LBS didnt have the tool in stock Order up some front brakes and I'll be set for a while. Added some Animal platform pedals as well.
    Last edited by madweazl; 08-19-2010 at 07:32 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madweazl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    29
    Bought the wife one today Went in looking for a lockring tool and ended up buying an '09 R5 (16") .

    Last edited by madweazl; 08-21-2010 at 07:28 AM.

  3. #3
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Thats awesome!!! She gets the white one you get the black??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madweazl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    29
    Black is only a 16" (I'm riding an 18") so it wont work for me. I want to have mine powder coated anyways (orange or lime green); been looking for a sticker kit so if you hear/see one let me know

    Got the cassette installed yesterday using a Spin Doctor tool kit. Pretty happy with the tools, not the highest quality but they should keep me going a while.



    Last edited by madweazl; 08-21-2010 at 07:35 AM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madweazl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    29
    Oh yea, had the '08 weighed at the shop when I picked it up; 32.14lbs with the reflectors etc on it.

  6. #6
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by madweazl
    Black is only a 16" (I'm riding an 18") so it wont work for me. I want to have mine powder coated anyways (orange or lime green); been looking for a sticker kit so if you hear/see one let me know

    Got the cassette installed yesterday using a Spin Doctor tool kit. Pretty happy with the tools, not the highest quality but they should keep me going a while.

    Kawasaki Lime Green

    You can start a home tool set and relegate the Spin Doc to the car.

    http://www.spadout.com/c/bike-maintenance/
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madweazl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    29
    Pyscho Lime or Candy Orange to match my car




  8. #8
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by madweazl
    Pyscho Lime

    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madweazl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    29
    See the bungs for the water bottle mount but there is another set under the down tube, what are those for?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madweazl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    29
    Went on a 15 mile ride today (hilly dirt trails with a couple nasty climbs), holy moly am I hurting. Back sore, legs dead (not sore, dead lol), shoulders/neck tired, cant wait to see how I feel tomorrow.

  11. #11
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by madweazl
    See the bungs for the water bottle mount but there is another set under the down tube, what are those for?
    Believe it or not another water bottle mount.


    Quote Originally Posted by madweazl
    Went on a 15 mile ride today (hilly dirt trails with a couple nasty climbs), holy moly am I hurting. Back sore, legs dead (not sore, dead lol), shoulders/neck tired, cant wait to see how I feel tomorrow.
    LoL start drinking MonaVie Active brotha you'll be fine
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madweazl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    29
    Was so hoping these Sam Adams Octoberfest were the answer

    And why the hell would you mount a water bottle there?

  13. #13
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by madweazl
    Was so hoping these Sam Adams Octoberfest were the answer

    And why the hell would you mount a water bottle there?
    Sam is good for health only temporary on recovery. Well to many will give a hang over so you'll forget the pain temporarily.

    Old school, long production run.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  14. #14
    enjoying the scenery
    Reputation: danec99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    214
    And why the hell would you mount a water bottle there?
    My 15" R7 will not hold a normal water bottle in the standard location as the space is too small (the shock is in the way.) I even tried a side load cage, I can get a 16oz plastic water bottle in, but it's loose. I am now trying a steel bottle hanging from the seat. However that under tube placement is not the answer - for starters the bottle gets WAY too dirty and also I could see it getting torn off in certain situations.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: downhilljill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by madweazl

    And why the hell would you mount a water bottle there?
    Some folks mount a cage there so they can use a lighting system; many lighting system batteries are shaped like a water bottle.

  16. #16
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Some folks mount a cage there so they can use a lighting system; many lighting system batteries are shaped like a water bottle.
    What Th Goddess said.

    Get a Camelbak or similar system they are much better and you have room to pack tools, camera and energy bars/gels.

    http://www.spadout.com/c/hydration-pack/
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madweazl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    29
    Have a Camelback but it's the Stealth so no storage. Do they make a mount for a pump that attaches to the bottle bungs?

  18. #18
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by madweazl
    Have a Camelback but it's the Stealth so no storage. Do they make a mount for a pump that attaches to the bottle bungs?
    Your best off with a roomier Camelbak like the Mule but yes you can get frame mount pumps.

    http://www.spadout.com/c/frame-pumps/
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    346
    The Spank Subrosa's would fit the bill. I have mine laced to a mango Chris King hubs and the look mighty fine.



    The frame would look like the new Porter.


  20. #20
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by atenciole
    The Spank Subrosa's would fit the bill. I have mine laced to a mango Chris King hubs and the look mighty fine.
    Presto changeoh nice swap their bro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Haro owner-tranvestite.jpg  

    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    346
    I figured it was a Haro forum and also found the Porter after. But the Subrosas do look clean, Not a DH rim though.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by atenciole
    I figured it was a Haro forum and also found the Porter after. But the Subrosas do look clean, Not a DH rim though.

    The Porter in Smurf Blue is gorgeous. I would never buy one bc I dont DH, but good God is it a sexy bike.

  23. #23
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty1930
    The Porter in Smurf Blue is gorgeous. I would never buy one bc I dont DH, but good God is it a sexy bike.
    The Porter is a Slope Style design not a DH so it can be ridden as a do all bike to shred trails with a massive grin.

    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •