Just learning.

need crankset and derailuer help, escape sport

Hey!
    I have an '08 Escape Sport and need some help with a couple of things.

I took the bashring off and want to run the third chainring, but I can't get the derailleur set so it will shift through all three chainrings... Do I have to do anything special with the derailluer (I already raised it so it's high enough to clear the third chainring), or am I just being retarded and setting it up wrong?

When I get a new derailleur, do I want to go high clamp or low clamp?

Also, where can I get a replacement left crank arm? I didn't realize that the left arm was reverse threaded when trying to change pedals and I tightened the pedal wayyyyy too tight while trying to take it off.

Thanks!

~Disc~Golf~
    RE: derailleur - I think you need to back out the high-limit "H" screw (or add more cable tension if you already have done so)

Top and bottom clamp will both work on your frame.

You cant get the pedal off?? have you tried any penetrating oil like liquid wrench?
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

Just learning.
    Alright I'll try the derailleur adjustments, thanks.

When I was trying to remove the pedal I was cranking it counterclockwise as hard as I could with lots of leverage... so basically I tightened it a lot instead of taking it off because I didn't know it was reverse threaded.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle h
    Alright I'll try the derailleur adjustments, thanks.

When I was trying to remove the pedal I was cranking it counterclockwise as hard as I could with lots of leverage... so basically I tightened it a lot instead of taking it off because I didn't know it was reverse threaded.
    Unless you broke something, you should be able to undue your tightening by using the same method you used before - lots of leverage (a good soak with penetrating oil will help) ...Some heavy 'whaps' with a dead-blow will also help to knock the seize out of it too

ride hard take risks
    If you dont have a pedal wrench then use as long a wrench as possible.. Be sure you are removing in the proper direction. Set the wrench as close to a V with the crank arm so you can grab the wrench with arm and squeeze like scissors.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

~Disc~Golf~
    Here's a tip to remember which direction to turn the wrench on your pedal:
    To Loosen - With the bike in an upright position, (on either side) put the wrench on/in the pedal at the 12 o'clock position and rotate toward the rear of the bike. (You don't actually need to start in that position, just know that will be the direction.) Squeezing 'like scissors' as dogonfr said works awesome...flip the wrench around to get it closer to the crank if necessary - just remember the direction!!

did I say to remember the direction?