mtbr member
    May 2007

minimizing chain suck on a Sonix

Would any Sonix riders care to share ways to minimize getting the chain wedged between the chainring and the frame. Of course keeping the drive train in good condition helps, are there less obvious tricks to minimize this? So far I've only noticed that quick shifts from the big chain ring to the little ring tend to invite a jammed chain.

Would switching to 8 or even 7 speed rear setup help?

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    James,

Make sure your chain rings are OK.

Do you have to much chain? Could taking a link out help. Chain suck is one thing i don't really have a problem with on my Sonix. Maybe adust the derailur up just a tad at the low end so that the chain can't go quite as far?

Stew

mtbr member
    Make sure the main frame and swing arm are in alignment. If your drive terrain is in good condition and your limit screws are set you should not be dropping chains.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks Guys, I do have my limit screws set, I am not dropping the chain off the top, rather it is sucking up from the bottom and wedging inbetween the chainrings and frame. I am actually already running a short chain to help minimize this, I cant actually use my big front ring and big back at the same time my chain is so short. I am using a new truvative stylo crankset, the chain is newish and the cassette is too. Watkinscapital's suggestion about the frame and swing arm alignment is a good one and I will check into that as soon as I can. Also I am noticing my rear derailer (SRAM X7) is very sloppy now and will replace that as well. Glad to hear not everyone has a chainsuck problem, once I get this sorted I'll enjoy my sonix even more.