mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Kona Hoss DLux/Haro Escape 8.3/Specialized P3 or Hardrock Pro Disc???

I have been looking for a little while now and have read and read and have pretty much narrowed it down to 3 or 4 bikes.

I am hoping to get some input from you guys on what is best for my lame ass style of riding.

I am currently 5'10" and about 295 I am hoping to drop some serious pounds quickly but even in my best shape 225 is about my best weight.

I will be using this for some single track/minor jumping/stairs/riding with my 3 kids to school and back/down town obstacles and such. Oh, I will also do some occasional technical riding with rock drop offs of about 3-5 feet.

I have kind of settled on the Kona Hoss DeeLux or the Haro Escape 8.3 (or whatever its called). I really like these two so far but dont know if they are what I need for sure.

I have also looked into the Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc and the P2 or 3 as well.

Hopefully someone can give me some helpful info.

Aaron
    Last edited by FatA$$ Toyota; 09-12-2004 at 04:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

a kinda lame answer...

It sounds like you've done your homework. All would be good choices, though I don't know if the Hardrock would be able take repeated drops even at your target weight.

Go ride 'em - get the one that feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by FatA$$ Toyota
    I have been looking for a little while now and have read and read and have pretty much narrowed it down to 3 or 4 bikes.

I am hoping to get some input from you guys on what is best for my lame ass style of riding.

I am currently 5'10" and about 295 I am hoping to drop some serious pounds quickly but even in my best shape 225 is about my best weight.

I will be using this for some single track/minor jumping/stairs/riding with my 3 kids to school and back/down town obstacles and such. Oh, I will also do some occasional technical riding with rock drop offs of about 3-5 feet.

I have kind of settled on the Kona Hoss DeeLux or the Haro Escape 8.3 (or whatever its called). I really like these two so far but dont know if they are what I need for sure.

I have also looked into the Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc and the P2 or 3 as well.

Aaron
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Tracking up the place
    I think the Kona Hoss would be ideal... I used to have a Haro Escape circa 95 (200-250) lbs it was an awesome bike but eventually it died..I put 4000 miles on it mainly xc with 1-2 foot drops...it took a beating and eventually failed , and I miss it...but I have better bikes now...For all I would probably buy a kona ---better lookin frame. The Haro designs change so often I would be weary( Op only)...

Ride both feel whats more comfortable and make your purchase. I went with comfort ( so I would ride) then what I knew about HAro frames (BMX was tuff) and purchased.

I 've had my hands on the Kona and It will take in my Op your stature and style....Have fun post some pics.
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hi Guys

I am in a similar position weight-wise (295lb) but Iím not going to be dropping off anything being more into fast trails and even (gulp) road work. The Hoss seems a good choice but has anyone here had problems with stress fractures in aluminium frames? Iím thinking about a steel frame with a bit more resilience, possibly an Orange P7 pro. This also has the advantage that I can have a rigid front fork without going for the Frankenstein look. After doing a lot of off-road on my old rigid Rock hopper, Iím thinking of all the energy going into bobbing the front fork and channelling that into driving me along.

Its good to know Iím not the only mega-Clyde out there, even if UK riders seem thin (ha-ha) on the ground.

Cheers all.

Tracking up the place
    stress fractures are more likely within the AL framesets but thats after use and use... Steel frames are nice, compliant (sp) and they last a long time. I like AL for its stiffness. I can't afford Ti so AL is best for me.. I am willing to deal with stress and so on.. A steelman or other handbiult steel frames would be my choice...if steel....Put a fork on it with lockout...set to go....
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

Making fat cool since '71

go big hoss, go

Quote Originally Posted by FatA$$ Toyota

Aaron
    I gotta go with the Kona as well. I have only "parking lot" time on the hoss and P2(?) messing around with other people's bikes, but I like the hoss quite a bit. If I ever get a hardtail it will certainly be one I look at very seriously. Good luck dropping the pounds!

Kraig.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I dont have a Kona dealer here in Wichita, KS. I have to wait till next month when I go to Oklahoma to go rock crawlin again.

DaBomb Molotov rider
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous
    It sounds like you've done your homework. All would be good choices, though I don't know if the Hardrock would be able take repeated drops even at your target weight.
    I'm considering similar bikes, and have a similar riding style (eg 2-4 ft drops FR/urban, plus trails). Would the Hardrock Pro Disk be OK for a lighter rider of about 170lb doing that kind of riding? I've also considered the Haro Escape 8.2, but it seems more specifically geared towards dirt jumping, and may not be as suitable for trail riding, trials and that kind of thing?

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4" and 270+, and when I test-rode the Kona, it was Very uncomfortable in the upper body (I'm more upperbody than legs with a short 32~33" inseam). It was just WAY to short from the seat to the bars, even with an extended neck and more upright bars rotated forward. I would have bought a Kona based on the reviews, but test riding it for even a few minutes showed me that it was the Wrong bike (for me). The longer Gary Fisher bikes (Genisis frames) fit me WORLDS better than the Kona, and a good bit better than the other bikes I rode... probably why I bought it.

I could Not have made a good decision without riding the bikes (and only considered bikes I could actually test ride, which pushed Jamis out of the running unfortunatally). If you buy something mailorder, make sure you can return it... just incase.

Just a different opinion (also a newbie)
    Cheers,

Brian McCoy