mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm Just got an 05 Escape 8.3

Just picked up a nice Med green 05 8.3 frame on eBay, adding it to my X7
    -
    Using alot of OEM X7 parts, seat, seat-post, cranks, forks (Marz 150mm), stem, brakes, (8" So1e).rear Dérailleurs (came with a front dérailleur and head-set)
    Front wheel hub (with silver DT spokes and a Single-track rim)
    -
    Got a Magura Fun, (a DT Hugi) hub on eBay, got DT silver-spokes and a Single-track for that
    -
    Silver spokes are $0.25-0.39 @.. Black spokes are $0.59-0.99.. not worth it...they scratch anyway..(both the wheel-sets for my X7 have DT black.. Hope Pro II and Atom-Labs..w/Mavic 823 UST's
    --
    What..??, I like to build wheels, been doing it since I was 10
    -
    HARO told me it used a 68 x 118-BB..the spec say a Howitzer DH.. The pictures and spec of the 8.3 show Truvative DH cranks, like I am using.. You have to use a Gigapipe 68 x 130mm (external bearing) or the inner ring hits the frame (good thing I have both)
    So unless you run a single ring crank, or standard 3-ring cranks, watch for that if you build...
    --
    Not sure what tires I will use, got some single-ply and some DH
    -
    Using the OEM X7 SRAM chain
    -
    Frame came with a front Shimano Dérailleur and a really slick head-set.. no tools.. sent extra bearings too..came in a HARO box, so I am not sure where it came from..
    --
    Only thing left is the rigging, I will do tomorrow..(give me a break , the frame came at 3:00PM..Its 6:00PM now, and I had to go to the store for some allen bolts for the rear caliper..) and I need some big head-set spacers, want to space the stem up..my Marzocchi's have a really long stem, cause the X7 is a large, and I want to take advantage of the "rise"..maybe close to 2"
    --
    This puppy is soooo light... I haven't weighed it yet, but I think its about 10-12lb lighter than my 42lb X7
    The heaviest thing is the forks, I am going to look for some Fox (cheap) around 5lbs, these weigh about 6.5lbs, OEM steel steerer-tube..
    -
    It looks great, Truvative Ti colored bars, silver spokes, black-stuff and a dark-green frame..I'll post pictures when its done..
    I CAN'T WAIT to ride it..

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm More on the BB

Ooops, tired and excited.. Ordered a Howitzer 51mm chain-line, .. they advertised a 51mm chain-line, they sent me a box with 51m chain-line,marked on it, but it has a 56mm chain-line.. ??????

In any case, the Truvative cranks must use the Howitzer (68e) type bb.. (or my BigEarl's)
    And HARO was probably correct about the 118mm...I am trying to find out what happened..

Oh, and the frame is an 04 (new).. so now I know about the color..

http://www.harobikes.com/2004/escape83/
    This is it until I get some pictures posted...
    Great color..flat..not glossy..
    Last edited by theProfessor; 11-28-2006 at 04:21 PM.