mtbr member
    Mar 2005

IBEX 2005 Ignition 2 or Haro 2004 xls R3?

I'm pretty new to trail riding and am looking for an entry level bike with quality components to get me started. I've come across two bikes that seem to get rave reviews for the money, but need some advice on what to purchase. I'm trying to stay at a budget of around $500. Please provide some feedback on the IBEX 2005 Ignition 2 vs. the Haro 2004 xls R3. I've found both for $500. I will be riding local trails in my area. Some do have pretty tough terrain and climbing - and I will be riding the bike aggressively. I'm 6'1'', 200 lbs, so please provide info on sizing as well. Additionally, since I'm open to all ideas - should I start out with a hardtail and if so, any recommendations would be extremely helpful. Thanks for any feedback!

Riding a Rig.
    At that price, and your weight I would very seriously consider a hardtail. I think either frame would hold up fine, but with the hardtail you will be able to get some better components like the fork and wheelset.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

What about the IBEX Alpine 550?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    At that price, and your weight I would very seriously consider a hardtail. I think either frame would hold up fine, but with the hardtail you will be able to get some better components like the fork and wheelset.
    What do you think about the IBEX Alpine 550 hardtail? Do you have any better suggestions?

Here's some specs:

Fork: Marzocchi EXR w/ 85mm Travel / 1-Side OPen Bath SSV Damping with Air / 1-Side Coil Spring / External Preload Adjustment /30mm Crom-Moly Stanchions / Monolite One Piece Magnesium Lowers / Forged Crown

Brakes: Tektro Io - Mechanical Disc Brakes

Tires: Kenda Koyote - 26" x 1.95"
    Rims: WTB SpeedDisc - Disc Specific Double-Wall Alloy
    Hubs: Formula Disc- Alloy - 32H w/ Quick Release
    Spokes: 14G Black Stainless Steel

Thanks again for the feedback!

Riding a Rig.
    You know, its a really nice bike for the money. But, would it be possible for you to spend a bit more? I know what it can be like to be on a tight budget, but feel moving up a model would be big step up in the quality of the components. I'm absolutly sure it would save you money in the longrun. Still, the 550 is a great bike and it would serve you fine. I just scored one of the Alpine frames on ebay and I'm going to be building it up. Let me know what you end up doing.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-770-Disc-Details.html

Sure, its 200.00 more but the brakes, fork and drivetrain (and almost everything else.) are a big step up from the alpine's.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle