mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Help!! Escape Pro or Comp?

I talked to my LBS today and he said he could get a 2007 Escape Pro and a 2007 Escape Comp. He ordered both so I will at least get to try them before buying. The Pro fits perfectly with my budget, but I can get the Comp for $125 more.

I am 5'10" 180, I am just starting to ride using a loaner bike from a friend. We do very basic trail riding. I feel that I would be happy with the Pro, but I have seen some stuff about the Marz fork that is not so good. If I later had to upgrade the fork it would cost at least $125 and I could get a better bike all around by soending the $125 now.

Here is my question. Is the comp worth $125 more or is the Pro adequate for my riding needs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I take it you are talking about the comp vs sport. The sport would definitely be adequate, but for only $125 the comp sounds like a good deal. But it all depends on what you want.

With the comp you add 10mm to the fork, but lose the lockout feature. Also, you upgrade to hydro brakes. I recently bought a 2008 Escape Sport with mx4 brakes and haven't had any problems with them (other than a lot of adjusting), but I have heard of others having problems. And you get a 9 speed drive with the comp.

The Escape is a solid and very versatile bike. I use mine for urban and mountain biking and it handles both superbly.

mtbr member
    When people are bike shopping and trying to decide between two models like this, I generally recommend that you go with the "upper" model. It has nothing to do with making us more money...let's face it, the bike has already been sold to our dealer, so it doesn't really affect us. If you can swing an extra $125 without it putting you in the poorhouse, the better parts on the Comp is going to give you much better performance, they will have longer life, and will be a little lighter. Plus, with better parts, there's nothing to upgrade if you decide you're really into riding bikes and want better parts.

It's much more cost effective for people to just buy the more expensive bike...provided it's still within your means. We bike manufacturers get a far better price on parts than consumers do...even if you buy mail order. If you add up what the upgrades on the Comp would cost you to upgrade after the fact, I guarantee you it will be more than $125...and then you have to go through the hassle of installing the parts (or paying someone to do so).

Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    When people are bike shopping and trying to decide between two models like this, I generally recommend that you go with the "upper" model. It has nothing to do with making us more money...let's face it, the bike has already been sold to our dealer, so it doesn't really affect us. If you can swing an extra $125 without it putting you in the poorhouse, the better parts on the Comp is going to give you much better performance, they will have longer life, and will be a little lighter. Plus, with better parts, there's nothing to upgrade if you decide you're really into riding bikes and want better parts.

It's much more cost effective for people to just buy the more expensive bike...provided it's still within your means. We bike manufacturers get a far better price on parts than consumers do...even if you buy mail order. If you add up what the upgrades on the Comp would cost you to upgrade after the fact, I guarantee you it will be more than $125...and then you have to go through the hassle of installing the parts (or paying someone to do so).

Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks for your 2 cents. I see from the spec sheets, the comp has better fork, better brakes, rear der., crank, bb, and seatpost. Are there any other upgrades I missed? I notice the fork has adjustable travel, does it have a lockout? Also there was come inconsistencies in the spec sheet on the sport. Is the sport a 24 or 27 speed?
    What is the weight difference in the sport and comp?

mtbr member
    Add to you list better front der, headset, cassette (9 speed vs 8 speed on the Sport), chain, pedals, grips, shifters, saddle, hubs and rims. Just about every part is an upgrade.

Yes, the Comp fork has LO.

The Sport is 8-speed, the Comp is 9-speed.

The Comp weighs about 32lbs; the Sport weighs about 33lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Add to you list better front der, headset, cassette (9 speed vs 8 speed on the Sport), chain, pedals, grips, shifters, saddle, hubs and rims. Just about every part is an upgrade.

Yes, the Comp fork has LO.

The Sport is 8-speed, the Comp is 9-speed.

The Comp weighs about 32lbs; the Sport weighs about 33lbs.
    Wow, that is a lot more upgrades than I thought. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for all of the help.

I am supposed to go to the bike shop tomorrow to look at the bikes and do some test rides. I will probably only be able to ride in the parking lot. I know I will not be able to tell a whole lot from a limited ride. What are some things to look/feel for in trying out the two bikes?

mtbr member
    Just see which bike feels/rides better for you. Take note of how each bikes upshifts/downshifts and brakes. Note the smoothness of each fork. Take note of how each drive train pedals. Those will be the most noticeable differences you will "feel" in a parking lot test.

The things you won't neccessarily feel will be the fact that better parts typically last longer and will offer you better performance over the long run.

mtbr member
    So what did you decide?

Did you get anything? Ive been riding my comp since last july or so and and the only thing that has broken has been the travel adjuster knob on the fork. YMMV but I'm 6' 215. Its not a light bike but it has held up to all I've tossed at it. I use it for everything as its my only bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yes, I got the sport. I love it and after riding a couple of times it seems to be a great bike.

mtbr member
    I'm sure you'll love it. I know I love mine... 20" 07 Comp with a wacky stem and xtra firm shock spring (I am 6' 215, RS sent the new spring to my LBS for free and they installed it) other wise stock and beefy as hell. (sometimes I wish I had gone with the 18 other times I'm glad I didn't) I use it for aggressive XC I guess and while it is a bit heavy (32 on the bathroom scale) I'm very very happy with it.

Last edited by kidcurry73; 04-03-2008 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Escape sport customized

you could simply build your own too..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

here is the pic

here is my build
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

i love my custom sport

lot of fun and quality at a cheap price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

here is my bike sorry..

hope this helps, I rode a yeti dirt jumper and this bike blew that one out of the water.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I had another great ride yesterday morning. The first time I had ridden the trails as wet as they were. It was like riding a different trail. So far the bike is exceeding my expectations.

mtbr member
    I like the white rims with the white frame, very nice looking...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    i bought a regular escape last summer, and while the drivetrain occasionally pi$$es me off, (It doesnt seem to like hard landings), i am unable to deny my love for the escape...