mtbr member

Haro Werx 5/VL120 Named Mountain Biking Magazine 2006 Cross-Country Bike of the Yea

Haro Werx 5/VL120 Named Mountain Biking Magazine’s 2006 Cross-Country Bike of the Year

We’re pleased to announce that the Haro Werx 5/VL120 has received Mountain Biking magazine’s 2006 Cross-Country Bike of the Year award. Each year, Mountain Biking magazine reviews dozens of bikes and ultimately chooses the “best of the best” to receive the distinction of being named “Bike of the Year” in their respective categories.

In order to be considered for the Bike of the Year award, bikes must meet or exceed exceptional quality guidelines in the areas of frame and fork, spec, value, innovation, and ride. “The Werx 5/VL120 is the result of parts that I would choose to put on my personal bike,” said Mike Varley, Haro’s MTB Product Development Manager. “They work awesome together and should provide their riders with years of service – Shimano and Manitou parts have been put through the wringer by our race teams and always come out a winner.”

“We’ve seen lots of new suspension designs roll through our doors, but rarely do they live up to expectations. The Haro Sonix (VL120) is an exception,” said Alan Davis, Mountain Biking’s Senior Editor. “With a combination of plush usable travel and pedaling efficiency, the Sonix is fast, energetic, and a lot of fun to ride.”

The Haro Sonix VL120 features brand-new, patent pending Virtual Link suspension technology which incorporates a virtual pivot that moves in a half-orbit around the bottom bracket to eliminate pedal-induced bobbing, while leaving the rear wheel free to respond to the terrain. Its short, pivotless chainstays mean there’s zero drivetrain flex—it pedals with hardtail efficiency, and with zero chainline growth there’s no pedal kickback.

For more information about the Haro Sonix VL120 or to schedule a test ride, visit your local Haro dealer or go to www.harosonix.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gregg; 03-22-2006 at 11:44 AM.

I'm a dog person

frame weight

Jill,

I've been looking at the Werx 5 for a long time. How much does a large frame weigh?
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

mtbr member
    Hi there, Emptybeer...

A medium frame weighs about 5.5 lbs with the rear shock, so a large would weigh a few ounces more than that. If you're going to be at Sea Otter, stop by our booth and take one for a test ride.

Thanks and let me know if you have any other questions!

Jill

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey Jill,

I am really interested in checking out the bike ... I am in the San Fernando Valley and I am in San Diego a lot too ... if there are some good local shops that you can recommend where I could get a good test ride in ... please let me know.

thanks,
    Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Denver area Dealers?

Unfortunately I couldn't make it out to your Fruita Bike Festival demo, but I'm anxious to try out the new Haro suspension and possibly upgrade.

Are there any dealers currently in Colorado carrying the Sonix?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Hi there....whereabouts do you live? I can track down a dealer for you or you can use our super cool dealer locator on our website (www.harobikes.com). Brown Cycle in Grand Junction has the Sonix Bikes in stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimRHIT
    Hey Jill,

I am really interested in checking out the bike ... I am in the San Fernando Valley and I am in San Diego a lot too ... if there are some good local shops that you can recommend where I could get a good test ride in ... please let me know.

thanks,
    Jim
    Hi Jim,

Sorry for the late reply; I didn't realize there was a reply in this thread until today. If you are in SD, try Action Cyclery right off the 15 in the Mira Mesa area. Dan has the bikes in stock and might be able to get a hold of a demo bike for you.

Hope that helps!

Jill

All Mountain Rider
    Well I don't own a werx, but I do own a Haro, so yay for Haro!
    Haro Hucker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlydemise
    Well I don't own a werx, but I do own a Haro, so yay for Haro!
    Well, thank you very much!

Love your signature...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

xeon,..??

hey haro jill.
    have you got to ride the new xeon much,and does it live up to the sonix pedal platform?? with a little extra cush?? The bike sounds like it is going to be the perfect allmountain machine. Do you know of any reviews that have been done on it yet, I cant find a thing.
    thanks
    erok

mtbr member
    Yes, I've been riding a prototype Xeon for the past several months and love it! You hit the nail on the head...same great platform with a little more cush. No reviews yet since we just have prototypes, but you can expect to see some reviews in the near future once the production models have been released.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Soon to be owner of VL120

I cracked the frame on my Haro EX frame so, instead of taking the standard replacement, I upgraded to the VL120 frame. I should have it in a couple of weeks and then another week or two to get all my old parts transferred over.

I'll post back as soon as I get it ride ready and let you all know how it rides.

mtbr member

A Question for Downhilljill

Hi Jill
    Is the
    werx frame, the same frame as the 120s and the standard ? Just want to make sure as weight is inportant to me.
    What i am chasing is a gold frame with no shock as not a fan of manitou..Your bike is exactly the spec i am going for.. Any prices on the frames?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTBURP
    Hi Jill
    Is the
    werx frame, the same frame as the 120s and the standard ? Just want to make sure as weight is inportant to me.
    What i am chasing is a gold frame with no shock as not a fan of manitou..Your bike is exactly the spec i am going for.. Any prices on the frames?

Howdy Burp!

The frames on all three models are identical...the parts set the models apart.

Framesets are not yet available, but they will be the 2007 Werx Sonix color (Crema) with a Fox RP23 shock for about $1300.

Take care,

Jill

mtbr member

Thanks for the quick reply jill, what color is crema?

Thanks for the quick reply jill, what color is crema? Is it cream...Any pics

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick reply jill, what color is crema? Is it cream...Any pics
    You can check it out here:

http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/werx_sonix.php

It's the same color as the Fox 32 F100X fork that comes on the complete bike.

mtbr member

VL 120 bike

Hi Jill, I Live in Australia and i rang the distributor, Pacific Brands, They are currently selling the 06 models. Shops are selling them as 07 models, I asked him when the next shipment arrives, he said,, we get what we are given and thats it, and the next shipment is due in August....August Surely there is a way for me to get my hands on a VL120s 07 Model before then... The 07 Has the reba and the rear rockshok which appeals to me..Do you have any idea how the shipping works, eg, can they order 07 models at any time??? Ps any gold frames laying around, that you would like to sell in a 18 inch...is this the large size...

I'm a dog person
    "MAESTRO";;;;;;VPP DONE RIGHT...........
    Might want to change your signature if you want any play from downhilljill.
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=DIRTBURP]Hi Jill, I Live in Australia and i rang the distributor, Pacific Brands, They are currently selling the 06 models. Shops are selling them as 07 models, I asked him when the next shipment arrives, he said,, we get what we are given and thats it, and the next shipment is due in August....August. Surely there is a way for me to get my hands on a VL120s 07 Model before then... The 07 Has the reba and the rear rockshok which appeals to me..Do you have any idea how the shipping works, eg, can they order 07 models at any time??? Ps any gold frames laying around, that you would like to sell in a 18 inch...is this the large size...
    QUOTE]

Pac Brands is correct; in most cases, what they have on hand is what they get until their next shipment arrives. Distributorship is a crazy deal...since they buy in large quantities, they actually will get many containers (with each one holding a few hundred bikes) in at any given time direct from our factory in Taiwan. Ordering small quantities isn't cost effective for distributors because the freight charges kills them.

Distributors do have the option of ordering a single piece or small orders from our warehouses here in the USA, but most don't do it because the freight is just too expensive. Our factory in Taiwan doesn't warehouse bikes for us or our distributors...they do a run of bikes and they get sent to us or our distributors.

I cannot sell a frame or bike to you directly. Pac Brands would not be so keen on that. But PM me next week (I am out of the office till Tuesday) and I'll look into some options. If you are willing to pay the freight from the US, Pac Brands might be willing to order a bike for you. Or IF the factory happens to be doing a production run and IF Pac Brands has a container due to them with other bikes sometime soon, then those are possible options.

BTW, the 18" is actually a meedium size and the size I ride (I'm 5'7" with a 31" inseam, long torso)...the 20" is a large.

I hope that helps.

Jill

mtbr member

Worx well on the giant forum,

Quote Originally Posted by emptybeer
    Might want to change your signature if you want any play from downhilljill.
    I Had a feeling about that, Hey Emptybeer, what bikes have you owned before the sonix?

I'm a dog person
    I Had a feeling about that, Hey Emptybeer, what bikes have you owned before the sonix?
    First MTB was a Scott hardtail (still have it). Had a Trek Y-3 but cracked the frame so Trek upgraded me to a Y-33. Got rid of it after I made a deal with my nephew that I would sell it to him cheap if he got good grades in high school. Spent a bit of time on a Specialized Epic before (you guessed it) cracked frame. As a side note, Specialized's (that just doesn't look like proper punctuation) warranty service is abysmal. How is a cracked seat tube my fault when there was no crash, abuse or misuse involved? Additionally, IMO, the FSR suspension is a product of good marketing and is highly overrated (can you spell BOB?). I was then one of the first to buy an Airborne Lucky Strike when I decided to transition from road to MTB racing. Fantastic bike and Airborne had great customer service - sad to see what has happened to the company. Then purchased another Airborne, a Paka Wallup. I cracked the frame on my first one and Airborne had a new frame to me within a week.

Also, I have ridden a Trance (assuming from your previous signature that you've ridden a Maestro). Very similar to the Sonix in the way it pedals. I ended up w/ the VL120 based on Haro's customer service reputation, lifetime warranty and the recommendation of a couple of people whose opinion I respect. Also, when dealing with Giant, I felt like the region rep was just trying to make a buck off of me. When I spoke with someone at Haro, they seemed like they just like to talk about mountain biking.

Haro's products and customer service have been as good as I've seen from any other company and the VL120 is fantastic.
    Last edited by emptybeer; 03-22-2008 at 08:48 AM.

mtbr member

The reason i asked..

Quote Originally Posted by emptybeer
    First MTB was a Scott hardtail (still have it). Had a Trek Y-3 but cracked the frame so Trek upgraded me to a Y-33. Got rid of it after I made a deal with my nephew that I would sell it to him cheap if he got good grades in high school. Spent a bit of time on a Specialized Epic before (you guessed it) cracked frame. As a side note, Specialized's (that just doesn't look like proper punctuation) warranty service is abysmal. How is a cracked seat tube my fault when there was no crash, abuse or misuse involved? Additionally, IMO, the FSR suspension is a product of good marketing and is highly overrated (can you spell BOB?). I was then one of the first to buy an Airborne Lucky Strike when I decided to transition from road to MTB racing. Fantastic bike and Airborne had great customer service - sad to see what has happened to the company. Then purchased another Airborne, a Paka Wallup. I cracked the frame on my first one and Airborne had a new frame to me within a week.

Also, I have ridden a Trance (assuming from your previous signature that you've ridden a Maestro). Very similar to the Sonix in the way it pedals. I ended up w/ the VL120 based on Haro's customer service reputation, lifetime warranty and the recommendation of a couple of people whose opinion I respect. Also, when dealing with Giant, I didn't like feeling like the region rep was just trying to make a buck off of me. When I spoke with someone at Haro, they seemed like they just like to talk about mountain biking.

Haro's products and customer service have been as good as I've seen from any other company and the VL120 is fantastic.
    You is because when you read a review, you are usually reading somebodies opinion based on there riding background, eg a downhiller might write that the sonix is as harsh as hell, but as we know, the sonix is a race/trail machine.. A hard tail rider going to the sonix would say that the bike gobbles up everything in its path, but if they spent time on a six inch bike, thay may have a different opinion.

So far i can gather that the sonix must climb extreamly well, due to the ex hardtail riders giving it a wrap.
    As for me, I ride a 6 inch reign. The bike is great, Its only downfall is its 8 pound frame and slightly slow steering. I have a road racing background and switched to mtb and enjoy it way more..... I have started to get some rides together and gain some fitness, and now i want to do some xc races again. Where I live, the trails are chunky, with rocky off camber climb single track, heaps of logs, ruts, g outs,etc. The reign is great on this stuff.
    But I want to train on the bike i race on. If i had the coin, I would get a Ibis Mojo
    Is the sonix much plusher than the trance? If so, how much plusher? according to haros web site, the sonix rear end is extreamly plush due to the last stage of the travel...But one persons plush is not another persons plush.

If i could get a test ride i could make my own decision...this is painfull..

I'm a dog person
    Is the sonix much plusher than the trance? If so, how much plusher? according to haros web site, the sonix rear end is extreamly plush due to the last stage of the travel...But one persons plush is not another persons plush.

If i could get a test ride i could make my own decision...this is painfull..
    Well, it depends. Seems like they are about the same as far as a single hit, but the Sonix really shines when you are at speed going through a rocky/rooty section. That probably has more to do with the shock than the suspension design, though...but then again, Haro says the Sonix was designed to handle that type of riding style - point and shoot.