Expert Crasher

Haro V1- question on headset

I just scored a V1 frame, size XL (I'm 6'3") for $13.50 on Ebay . Anyway - want to make this a lightweight commuter type bike.

I can't tell from the pics but it looks like an integrated or semi-integrated headset. I'm also semi-convinced that the bottom has a regular style headset cup - just can't tell from the pictures. Any recommendations?

Also - what travel will this bike take and still handle well? 100mm?

Thanks.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Expert Crasher
    Anyone?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

I'm a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Anyone?
    The Haro folks (Jill) can probably answer your question come Monday when they are back in the office.
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

Expert Crasher
    Calling Jill!

mtbr member
    Sorry...I have been super slammed at work.

I'll actually need to look into that frame. Did you buy it from someone here in the US? We "license" some of our lower-end bikes to our distributor in Australia and this actually looks like one of the bikes they produce. I'll have to show this to a couple people to make sure I get you the correct info.

mtbr member
    OK, did a little research on this. That's a 2004 V1 frame, not one of our Australian licensee frames.

I does look like in the photo that it takes an integrated HS, but according to the spec, it takes a standard threadless headset. Photo just might distort it somehow.

The stock V1 was spec'd with a 63mm fork. You could probably safely go up to an 80mm fork. 100mm might be pushing it a bit; it might really knock your geometry out of whack. I'd stick with 80mm and no more.

Regardless, good find and great eBay score. Can't beat the price! With the right parts, these frames can be built up into nice little XC bikes.

Expert Crasher
    thanks. It is a standard threadless. It's actually, a nice, lightweight frame and for the $13.50 I paid for it - a good bargain.

One thing I could not find online is the seat post clamp size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo

One thing I could not find online is the seat post clamp size.