mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Haro Thread Eight Size

Hello Guys,

it could be possible that i buy a 2007 Haro Thread Eight.

I've looked at the 2008 Series and in my view the frame color is absolutely horrible.

So i have to be quick to get one of the 2007 series before they out of stock.

The question is, which frame sizes there are and which one i should take. I'm 1.86 m tall..

Thank you in advance for your help!

Edit: Just this minute i was on the website of haro and i've seen that the sizes are 12” and 14”.

Here are also the geometry details ---> http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/t...8.php#geometry

As i said before, i'm not sure which size i should take. So i hope you can help me..
    Last edited by veklox; 10-14-2007 at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member
    If you are 1.86m (about 6' tall), I'd recommend that you buy the 14" size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thank you for your help.

Can you give me also a little information about the perfomance of the bike.

It would be my first Dirt Bike so i'm not really versed.

Furthermore i want to know the weight but i can't find anything about that..

Thanks

mtbr member
    The Thread series bikes are designed for urban, dirt jump, and skatepark riding. They are not designed for cross-country, trail riding, or DH riding.

Weight on a Thread Eight is about 34 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My stock 2007 Thread 8 (12 inch frame) came in a 35.4 lbs.
    As downhilljill said, this is a dj/street bike and does not perform very well on trails. If you absolutely want to use the thread 8 for trails, you should definately get the 14" so that you can actually get the seat up to a rideable level (you will still probably need a 400mm seatpost) but be aware the thread is heavy for XC riding and doesn't climb very well, and for downhill its 80mm DJ fork is not going to perform all that well.
    I'm 5' 9", and got the 12" frame because I wanted to use the bike as a play bike for street and dj, and for those purposes, the 12" frame is right for me.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hello trailville,

thank you for your answer.

That the Haro Thread is only for dirt and street is obvious to me and so for that reason i want to buy it.

But i'm quite tall and i don't want to buy a bike which is too small for me.

And as i said it would be my first dirt bike and i appreciate that it's not such mini as some dirt bikes are.

Of course dirt bikes have to be small but i want to ride also a lot of street with a sequence.

In other words i don't want to ride only at one spot but in the city..

And so the bike should not to small, that it feels like a bmx..

I hope you can understand me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There really isn't a whole lot of difference between the two frame sizes. The 14" frame TT length is only 1/2 inch longer thant the 12" frame. If you want to be able to do some seated riding, you should go for the 14" frame. I think a real hardcore DJ/street rider even at your height would probably opt for the 12" frame for doing tricks, but a 14" frame still has a hell of a lot of clearance. When I ordered mine, I also had a hard time deciding and now that I have the 12", I think I would have done fine with either frame size. A 12" seat tube height is rather short even by DJ/street standards, so a 14" seat tube height is not really considered tall. The new 2008 Threads both sizes come with a 13" seat tube height, I think 13" to 14" seat tubes are the norm in DJ/Street frames. So since your concerned about the bike feeling too small, you will probably prefer the 14" frame, though if you haven't ridden this type of frame before, it will still probably feel small to you (especially if you try riding seated).
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I don't want to ride seated. It's only so, that i prefer a compact frame size.

Why do you think most riders would prefer the 12" frame?
    Last edited by veklox; 10-16-2007 at 10:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by veklox
    Why do you think most riders would prefer the 12" frame?
    I didn't say "most riders" would prefer the 12", I said most hardcore dj/street riders probably would prefer the 12". I'm talking about the guys that can do crazy tricks on a bike while its in the air. They tend to prefer the smaller frames because they give them more clearance while they're doing tricks. I think a lot of them come from BMX so they are use to small frames. When I was sizing mine, my bike shop called haro and I recall they said that their pro riders rode the 12" frames.
    For me, I think either frame size would have suited my needs. As I said, a 14" seat tube height is still plenty short enough for dj/street riding and the TT length difference was only 1/2". Riding standing up, I don't think you are going to notice much difference between the two frames, but if you're concerned about being cramped, get the bigger frame, I really don't think you will find the 14" frame to be too big for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It's a very hard decision.

On the other side i guess perhaps it is easier to dirt jump with the 12" frame.

May be later im annoyed about it.

But as you said, there isn't a big difference between the two frame sizes, so i should not worry about this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    The Thread series bikes are designed for urban, dirt jump, and skatepark riding. They are not designed for cross-country, trail riding, or DH riding.

Weight on a Thread Eight is about 34 lbs.
    Jill could I please get your opinion? I recently found a new 06 geared thread 8 with the 5.5Ē splice fork with the largest frame he could stand over at a killer price and put it on layaway for may sonís 13th b-day in a couple of weeks. He will be using it mainly for neighborhood DJ and the usual screwing around that kids do as well a XC/trail riding with me a few times a month, family vacations to Mammoth, Moab, Tahoe etc. I know that is a lot to expect from 475.00 but 2500.00 for a good FS free ride bike is not in the budget. Price and durability are big factors and it seems like a burley bike although I am a bit concerned about the dropout issue does the modification work? Do you think this bike would be a mistake? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Some of the first generation Threads (or Zeros; that's the name the bike originally was released under) we released on 2006 had issues with DO slippage. It still remains a mystery to us since not everyone had problems. Because of this, we treated on a case-by-case basis.

Many of the bikes in the field have retrofit kits already installed which took care of the slippage issues. I'd ask the seller. If he doesn't know, if you can send some pics of the DO area, we can let you know whether or not they have been retrofitted.

Even if they haven't been retrofitted, your son may not have any issues. Like I said, not everyone had problems. But if you do start having problems, we won't leave you in the cold. We'll either send you a retrofit kit or warranty the frame if we're out of kits.