mtbr member

Wink Haro Sonix Chain Bite

Hello everyone I was curious about the condition of my frame. I've noticed that this forum has experts that are willing to answer questions specific to Haro Sonix and I find that to be exceptionally awesome. Ok, so here is my newly acquired 2007 120s Haro Sonix. I bought this off of craigslist for $175. I was scared to buy again used because I bought a dakar off of craigslist and got it home and found a hairline crack in the shock mount( I == mad). At this juncture I have to buy used because of student loans and children. So I took a chance.

When I purchased the bike I didn't notice anything just a little chain bite, which as a buyer of some used bikes such as Gary Fisher 3+, I was use too. I got scared when I noticed that the area affected with the chain bite was covered with jb weld, or something similar. So I started to sand it away and from what I can tell the integrity of the frame is in good shape and will last.

This leads me to a couple of questions. I realized that it would be easy for me if I was careful to file that area down till it was smooth and looked good. Would that be wise?
    Is it wise to leave the aluminum bare? Will this weaken the integrity over time? The linkage is tight but seems like it could come apart pretty easy, is this the case? Thanks for any help you can give me I appreciate it.

James.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by jskornick; 01-18-2011 at 10:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Check for any cracks... You can purchase a rebuild kit for the bike at your Local Haro Dealer. You can leave aluminum bare but I would atleast put a clear on it.

mtbr member
    Wrap up the chainstay so it doesn't continue to chip away at it.