mtbr member

Haro Mary SS did I get the right size

On Friday I had a unfortunate run in with a large rock that bent the rear of my bike rendering the frame useless. So after selling off all the parts, I went into a local bike shop where they had 09 Mary SS on closeout for $499. Call it a impulse buy but I had enough money in my pocket from the parts sale so I picked up one with a 20in frame. I am around 6ft or 6ft 1in with a 34 inseam. My Stumpjumper is a Large so I figured this would be the correct size, but after getting the bike home it looks huge. Maybe its just the wheels, but just wanted to know from those of you with seat time on the Mary if I should be ok. From the Haro website, it looks like the changed the 10' models with a sloping top tube. Also those of you with the On-One handelbar, how do you like it.
    Last edited by jvm051; 02-28-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Haro's tend to look larger because they run a taller seattube for a given frame size. I'm 6'6" and ride a 20" Beasley.

ridin' Mary
    I think you are on the right size. I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam and ride the Mary SS 20" frame. If anything it's a bit small for me. I wish it had an additional 0.5" of top tube. I have a super long stem on this bike to make up for that. $499 was a great price on a great bike!

I didn't like the On-one bars. Too much sweep. They're great for swoopy trail riding, but your inside-turn-elbow will be jammed into your ribs if you try to negotiate a sharp switchback. I got the Groovy Luv-handles as they have half the sweep.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    im 6' 6" with a 34" inseam and ride a haro ally xc 29er thats an 18" and it fits me fine. i like small bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhNooo
    I think you are on the right size. I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam and ride the Mary SS 20" frame. If anything it's a bit small for me. I wish it had an additional 0.5" of top tube. I have a super long stem on this bike to make up for that. $499 was a great price on a great bike!

I didn't like the On-one bars. Too much sweep. They're great for swoopy trail riding, but your inside-turn-elbow will be jammed into your ribs if you try to negotiate a sharp switchback. I got the Groovy Luv-handles as they have half the sweep.
    I am looking at the Groovy Luv-handles but don't want to wait 2 months for a pair?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051
    On Friday I had a unfortunate run in with a large rock that bent the rear of my bike rendering the frame useless. So after selling off all the parts, I went into a local bike shop where they had 09 Mary SS on closeout for $499. Call it a impulse buy but I had enough money in my pocket from the parts sale so I picked up one with a 20in frame. I am around 6ft or 6ft 1in with a 34 inseam. My Stumpjumper is a Large so I figured this would be the correct size, but after getting the bike home it looks huge. Maybe its just the wheels, but just wanted to know from those of you with seat time on the Mary if I should be ok. From the Haro website, it looks like the changed the 10' models with a sloping top tube. Also those of you with the On-One handelbar, how do you like it.
    You are sort of in between 2 sizes...it will boil down to whether you prefer a little longer top tube as opposed to a shorter one and if the difference in standover doesn't bother you. If you are 6'1", I'd probably recommend the 20" size for you based on what some of the guys here in the office ride and based on feedback we've had from people at our demo days.

Yeah, it's no suprise that the Mary might look huge to you...29ers do look like really big bikes when you put them up against a 26" wheel bike!