Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Mtbr

Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread

I like my Mary so much I though it would be fun to start a strictly Mary SS/Mary XC forum. Here you can post your pictures, stories, comments, and questions on the Mary.

I'll start with my 2007 Mary SS Frame up with:
    Reba SL 80mm
    Panaracer Rampage front tire
    Geax Saguaro rear tire
    Bontrager Race Lite Crank with Truvativ BB(maybe will be changed)
    Thomson seatpost
    Specialized Rival Saddle, Wedge and computer
    BB7 Mech's
    SRAM 8-Speed Chain
    ESI Chunky Grips

Possible Upgrades:
    Shimano Crank
    Thomson stem+Monkey Lite Bar

Definite upgrades:
    light dimension pro anodized black pedals(will save .5-1lb)

Possible weight savings:
    Thomson Stem Over Bontrager Select: 10 Grams
    Monkey Light Handlebar over Bontrager Select: 100 Grams
    XT Crank over Bontrager Race Lite: 50-200Grams
    Dimension Pro Platform Pedals: 588-240=348Grams
    Total= <658Grams
    1.45lbs
    28.5-1.45=27.05lbs

Current Picture:

Some Outdated ones:

Last edited by dbo43867; 11-14-2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Adding more information
    [SIZE="1"]2008 Rig[/SIZE]

EXORCIZE

9 months on Mary

Had 2 bikes when I bought this one - only've got this one now. Rides like gold, but appears to be turning into titanium...

'07 20" Haro Mary SS
    Fox F29 RLC @ 100mm
    Kent Eriksen ti seatpost
    WTB Rocket V Stealth ti-railed saddle
    Xpedo Ti/Ti SPD-type pedals
    Specialized Resolution Pro/front
    Maxxis Crossmark/rear
    ESI Chunky grips
    On order: Black Sheep ti bar based on Mary bar, but 1" wider

Weight ?

Possible Upgrades:
    Fizik Gobi ti saddle (one WTB rail looks slightly bent)
    Converting the F29 to 80mm to sharpen the steering
    Hydraulic brakes
    Nice wheelset

Current Picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbnj.com
    I fell in love with Mary way back in September of 06. This bike by far has been my favorite bike to this day. My gearie is worth about 3 times as much and it just sits in the corner. I love the way this bike rides and handles, its a true joy to ride. Its been here before but I'll post again.

18 in Mary ss
    ergons
    thompson stem
    easton carbon bars and seat post
    king headset
    pace carbon fork
    right now its got Ignitors on it
    Rotor ring

This pic shows it with an easton stem and some spacers, that was just for testing. Since then it has been replaced with the above mentioned Thompson and trimmed up nicely.
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member

here is mine

I have had this about 3 weeks and I love it. I changed the seat to my trusty old Koobi, added my clipless pedals and also a Stan's kit.

mtbr member
    Nice rides everyone!!! Here's a funky Mary build I did:

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm a huge fan of the Mary. Don't have any new photos yet though. I've since added 08 XT cranks to the SS, and returned to the stock steel fork. 08 avid mechs on the way, and 08 black avid levers because I crashed and bent one two weeks ago. Also adding a WTB weirwolf up front. XT/WTB Speeddisc wheelset also mounted since the front hub started making a sweaty fingers on a balloon sound when it was spinning and I had the spares lying around. New pic soon.

ridin' Mary

Mary SS no more

Here's a couple of pictures of my Mary I put together April 2007.

Specs:
    2007 20" Mary SS
    Reba SL fork
    Rohloff Speedhub
    BB7's
    Surly chainring
    Upgraded platform pedals
    Most everything else was standard on the Mary

I've rebuilt the rear wheel since the picture to get rid of the DTSwiss rim, and put back on the WTB rim that came with the Mary. I also now am riding with a Nevegal on the front instead of the Exiwolf.

mary_RHS2.jpg
    mary_LHS2.jpg

Lungs, Legs, Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Nice rides everyone!!! Here's a funky Mary build I did:

Hey, Jill! She's a Beaut! I love the fenders! You'd never want to get them wet

I'm "kinda" going in somewhat the same direction, at least with the Brooks B-17 saddle (not pictured). I really love the way the light brown leather complements the Humbolt Green. I have also added some green Crank Bothers Acid pedals and switched the tires to Kenda Small Blocks.

Anyhoo, here's mine on her maiden voyage--a pretty rocky and somewhat technical trail. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4blues
    Hey, Jill! She's a Beaut! I love the fenders! You'd never want to get them wet

I'm "kinda" going in somewhat the same direction, at least with the Brooks B-17 saddle (not pictured). I really love the way the light brown leather complements the Humbolt Green. I have also added some green Crank Bothers Acid pedals and switched the tires to Kenda Small Blocks.

Anyhoo, here's mine on her maiden voyage--a pretty rocky and somewhat technical trail. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Nice!

I'm really amazed at how comfortable Brooks saddles are. The saddle on this bike is the Flyer; the springs give it a little "travel".

I actually rode that bike around my neighborhood with a friend yesterday...went to breakfast and tooled around a bit. It was funny to see the looks I got from the hardcore roadies. It's the perfect little "fun" bike.

Lungs, Legs, Luck
    I actually rode that bike around my neighborhood with a friend yesterday...went to breakfast and tooled around a bit. It was funny to see the looks I got from the hardcore roadies. It's the perfect little "fun" bike.
    True, but it's also a very serious trail bike that'll get you around all but the most technical terrain. I think you guys hit a homerun with the Mary, especially the SS. Its spec and price really do add up to kind of a gestalt-like formula. Hey, if it can attract a die-hard Santa Cruz guy, you guys have to be doing something right. So far, I've ridden my SS on the same trails as my Blur LT, and the GPS results are the same--at 1/3 of the price. In fact, I just put some Kenda Small Blocks on and had my best climb ever. I think the Mary SS will be a cult classic.

Keep up the good work!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Currently serving as a commuter. Nothing a quick ring and tire change couldn't solve.

Mtbr

Update

I have changed many of the components on my Mary, and here is the updated parts list
    American Classic SS wheels
    Kenda Small Block Eight's
    Bontrager Switchblade
    Dimension Pedals
    Bontrager Race Lite Stem
    WTB Devo Sweep
    Bontager Big Sweep 12 Degree
    New Rotors
    no more computer
    Old Weight- 28.1lbs
    New Weight- 23.06lbs
    [SIZE="1"]2008 Rig[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbo43867
    I have changed many of the components on my Mary, and here is the updated parts list
    Bontrager Switchblade
    Dimension Pedals
    Bontrager Race Lite Stem
    WTB Devo Sweep
    New Rotors
    no more computer
    Old Weight- 28.1lbs
    New Weight- 23.06lbs
    Wow! That's quite a weight savings! I've got a Switchblade on my Mary; I might have to get me a set of the AC wheels and mount small blocks to them so my bike will be as light as yours.

Lungs, Legs, Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by dbo43867
    Bontrager Switchblade
    Dimension Pedals
    Bontrager Race Lite Stem
    WTB Devo Sweep
    New Rotors
    no more computer
    Old Weight- 28.1lbs
    New Weight- 23.06lbs
    Very nice! I have small blocks on mine right now, and while there's significant weight savings, they really require pretty mellow trails. On the American Classics, I have them on my 26er, and they are so good, I'm sure I'll end up with a set for the Mary sooner or later.

So how did the fork affect the geo?

EXORCIZE

Mary SS. No, I'm not a Catholic or a Nazi.

Since post #2 above, I had '08 XT hydraulic levers/calipers installed and retained the stock rotors.

Plus my Black Sheep faux-Mary ti bar finally arrived - I ordered it back when I was convinced I'd stay fully rigid

Also to note - the 27.2 Eriksen post is secured by a 31.6/27.2 post shim inside the stock shim. Works perfectly - thanks for the tip downhilljill!

Mine's a Frankenstein that hasn't dropped any weight despite a lot of money dropped, but the ride is real sweet.

More current picture (yesterday), leaning against my recliner I bought used on CraigsList 5 years for $50:
    ride natty ride

Luke
    Dec 2005
    The Mary was bought as a friends bike but is growing on me more and more and has replaced my Karate Monkey as the ride of choice. Absolutely rock steady handling. I get comments about the look of the wheels with the bike every time I ride

Magura Marta SL brakes
    Rock Shox Reba fork
    Cane Creek S2 headset
    Cane Creek Thudbuster LT
    Bontrager CRZ+ Sport saddle
    Industry Nine Wheels using DT Swiss Rims and orange spokes
    Panaracer Rampage tires
    Chris King stainless cog
    ODI Rogue Lockon Grips
    Dangerboy endcaps
    Odyssey Cielencki copper platform pedals
    Weight 28.22

Get out of town!
    I just picked up a Mary SS last night! First ride is today. It's a blue one, and stock for now except for the pedals so I won't bore you with the pictures. I have a set of silver/blue I9's that are going on the bike though which should be awesome. I also have new 18t and 20t cogs on order as well as a Surly spacer kit.

After riding my friends Mary and then spending some more time on one in Vegas I knew that this was a great bike have around. I'm also looking forward to trying the 180mm cranks because it's something I probably never would have purchased on its own.

I already have a Sultan but the Mary may steal a lot of my local trail time. My friends are already trying to talk me into doing the next 12hr race I have planned on this thing!
    Last edited by Ridin'Dirty; 12-05-2007 at 08:00 AM.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

nothing relevant to say
    Wow! That's quite a weight savings! I've got a Switchblade on my Mary; I might have to get me a set of the AC wheels and mount small blocks to them so my bike will be as light as yours.
    Well, Jill, you know who to call ! !!!

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by waltj
    I get comments about the look of the wheels with the bike every time I ride
    Excellent! I normally don't care for spokes that aren't silver or black (that's putting it nicely), but these are outstanding!!! Nice job.
    ride natty ride

make mine fixed

my mary needed to get fixed

20" ss
    fizik aliante
    bb7
    ouray grips
    38t ring, 18-22t cogs
    weirwolf rear, saguro front
    l&m vega
    serfas tl2100

After reading http://63xc.com/jasom/milldisc.htm for turning a disk hub into a fixed gear, I spayed mary. I've had my fix for about a week. I'm getting to know her new personality via commuting and riding plowed or trampled cement trails. Nearby singletrack is still unrideable with snow.
    Rigid keeps you one with the ground vertically. Fixed keeps you one with the ground horizontally.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thinking about giving my Mary a fork upgrade, just wondering about the ride quality improvement in going to Carbon rigid, or should I just sell my soul and get a suspension fork. Or should I just harden up and stop whining.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiTexan
    Thinking about giving my Mary a fork upgrade, just wondering about the ride quality improvement in going to Carbon rigid, or should I just sell my soul and get a suspension fork. Or should I just harden up and stop whining.
    I struggled with this issue for a long time. If you search the Single Speed forum, you'll find lots of threads on this. My take on the issue:

If you're looking to just make your bike feel smoother and bit more compliant, a carbon fork might be a good, albeit expensive choice. If you're still riding with the stock Mary grips, I'd first suggest putting on some ESI Chunky grips (or other vibration-dampening grips) - I was surprised at the difference this made.

For compliance through rocks, the best remedy is big fat tires run at the lowest psi possible without pinch flatting, combined with a rigid-specific riding style: unweighting/lifting the front end when needed, a looser handgrip, well-chosen lines, etc. Beyond that, a more compliant rigid fork is helpful, too, but at some point, a suspension fork makes more sense than trying to create suspension through a collection of flexing parts.

My trails are steep and rocky and moving to a suspension fork really allowed me to get back to attacking technical downhills and having more fun. But riding rigid for 6-8 months really increased my skill level. If my trails were smoother, I would definitely have stayed fully rigid.
    ride natty ride

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the input. I've switched grips to Ourys, gone tubless with Ignitors at about 20psi, both of which helped. Never a problem when just out riding with the boys, but for the (very) occasional race when you are trying to get a bit more out of it, makes me wish for a bit of cush up front. $$ is a factor, carbon forks in NZL are more wholesale price than retail price in the US.

make mine fixed

how fast do you want to go?

Sounds like you have made the easy changes and you are still wanting more speed. The question is how much more? The faster you want, the more a suspended fork is the better answer. I've used the Reba before - run locked with high flood gate for only a few mills of suspension before blowthrough on really hard hits. Lower the gate to dial in 5-30 mm before blowthrough, or unlock with lower compression dampening to dial in even more suspension. An then there is the 85, 100, 115 total to dial in. Talk about scalability.

I think a cf fork is for those committed to rigid and want to tweak the experience. Are you within tweaking distance?
    Rigid keeps you one with the ground vertically. Fixed keeps you one with the ground horizontally.

One gear to rule them all
    I finally got my Mary SS together. I figured that I should take a couple of pics before I get her dirty. I did what I could to overcome the 6 lb frame, but I could only get it to 24.0 lbs on my digital scale. I am still waiting for my tubeless valve stems so that I can run tubeless, and I am going to machine some material out of the ebb. I should be able to get it into the 23 lb range.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast