Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 201 to 300 of 332
  1. #201
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Sooo wheres the Porn
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11
    Porn coming soon. I had to get all of the vehicles and other toys packed back into the garage because I was afraid is was going ot hail...so no pics tonight.

    Also, to add to my list of first impressions, the fabrication work on the frame is impressive. The welds are unreal. I've carried the American Welding Society Certified Welding Inspector card for almost 5 years now and I've not seen welds on chromoly like these before. Every single weld is super uniform in shape and size from end to end, even when they go around a tube. All of the starts and stops are perfect. I'd really like to see how Haro does it.

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation: downhilljill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by crankin
    Porn coming soon. I had to get all of the vehicles and other toys packed back into the garage because I was afraid is was going ot hail...so no pics tonight.

    Also, to add to my list of first impressions, the fabrication work on the frame is impressive. The welds are unreal. I've carried the American Welding Society Certified Welding Inspector card for almost 5 years now and I've not seen welds on chromoly like these before. Every single weld is super uniform in shape and size from end to end, even when they go around a tube. All of the starts and stops are perfect. I'd really like to see how Haro does it.
    We use one of the best frame builders in Taiwan to make the Mary frames. They make frames for several extremely high-end bike companies (some of which don't readily admit that their frames are made in Taiwan). It's a truly amazing factory with many talented frame builders/welders.

  4. #204
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    They make frames for several extremely high-end bike companies (some of which don't readily admit that their frames are made in Taiwan).
    Thats impossible no one would lie/stretch the truth about such a thing!!!!
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  5. #205
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11

    All good so far, except...

    I've been putting some miles on and getting used to the ride. I'll spare you guys all the blubbering about how great this bike is...you already know. I do have a couple little things I need to ask you Mary experts though:

    First, I have a light clicking sound coming form the bike with each pedal stroke, left or right. I suspected the stock Wellgo pedals but when I swithced to my Fishbone bite-me platforms the click was still there. I checked the bottom bracket set screws and they are tight. The headset seems fine too. I also cheked the frame and it looks A-ok. Any guesses? It's driving me crazy.

    Second, if I had to name one weak component on the whole bike it would be the brakes. They just seem a level lower than the rest of the kit. I've got them dialed in as best as I can, and they are still just ok. I burned them once on a long downhill, mostly my fault for being a chicken chit but still, I was beyond my comfort zone and wanted to slow down...thats what brakes are for. The also seem to get a little noisier every ride...they aren't squaling or anything near loud, but they squeak and chirp and pulse a little when I'm really on em.

    Lastly, I'm new to the 29er world and also the single speed world. The learning curve isn't bad at all, just keep the momentum up and carfully pick your lines. The one thing I'm still battleing is getting the front end up. Wheelies, manuals, and hops are still a bit difficult for me on this bike. I'm not sure if the 29 geometry or the gearing is the difference or maybe I just haven't got the bike fitted perfectly to me. I guess I'm just looking for some pointers or suggestions. I've been out in my driveway all night working on wheelies...my neigbors must think I'm losing it.

    All things considered I love this bike. She's a solid, fun machine that has opened my eyes to a new type of riding, and my legs are getting stronger every day!

  6. #206
    master blaster
    Reputation: veloreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,151



    and with woodchippers

  7. #207
    ridin' Mary
    Reputation: OhNooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    347
    Hi crankin,

    For the creak, I've heard it from two sources on this bike:

    1) The bottom bracket. I've taken the EBB out and wrapped the ribs that mate with the frame with 2 layers of teflon plumbing tape to prevent metal on metal movement. This works surprisingly well. But it's rather tough to get the EBB and plumbers tape back into the frame without losing the tape somewhere. Give it lots of trys and eventually you will get it all together with the tape and this will quiet down the bottom bracket a lot.

    2) The seatpost. For some reason, the Mary was designed with an odd sized seat tube and requires a shim to get down to the 31.6 seatpost size. This is my only real beef with this frame. Make sure to grease up the seatpost well to help avoid noises from this source.

    Regarding the brakes, my 2007 Mary came with BB5s which are useless. I don't know if that's what still comes on the newer Mary's. I replaced them within a couple of rides with BB7s which are far superior. BB5s look like disc brakes but don't act like them.

    And regarding wheelies... riding a wheelie on a 29er is trickier than a 26er due to your hubs being farther off the ground. Any error forward/back requires more adjustment effort due to larger wheel size. So riding a long wheelie is something I just don't try. But I haven't found this to be an issue at all while riding on the trail. I have a 20" frame which is a little bit small for me and I added an additional 1" of stem to stretch this out. Even with this long stem, this bike is great for getting up steps. I've never had a bike that was so balanced that I could get either wheel off the ground at will with very little setup time required to lift the wheel.

  8. #208
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11
    Thanks OhNooo, I'll have to do some tinkering after my ride tonight. And the 2010 still comes with BB5's. What's a good price for bb7's? Is it a just a straight swap for the bb5 components? I've already got a good home for the BB5's so I'm ready to upgrade.

  9. #209
    ridin' Mary
    Reputation: OhNooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    347
    BB5->BB7 is a direct swap. Keep the same rotors and mounts if you wish. You should be able to find BB7s at roughly the same price everywhere since they are as common as dirt.

  10. #210
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  11. #211
    SSolo, on your left!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by OhNooo
    Hi crankin,

    For the creak, I've heard it from two sources on this bike:

    1) The bottom bracket. I've taken the EBB out and wrapped the ribs that mate with the frame with 2 layers of teflon plumbing tape to prevent metal on metal movement. This works surprisingly well. But it's rather tough to get the EBB and plumbers tape back into the frame without losing the tape somewhere. Give it lots of trys and eventually you will get it all together with the tape and this will quiet down the bottom bracket a lot.

    2) The seatpost. For some reason, the Mary was designed with an odd sized seat tube and requires a shim to get down to the 31.6 seatpost size. This is my only real beef with this frame. Make sure to grease up the seatpost well to help avoid noises from this source.

    Regarding the brakes, my 2007 Mary came with BB5s which are useless. I don't know if that's what still comes on the newer Mary's. I replaced them within a couple of rides with BB7s which are far superior. BB5s look like disc brakes but don't act like them.

    And regarding wheelies... riding a wheelie on a 29er is trickier than a 26er due to your hubs being farther off the ground. Any error forward/back requires more adjustment effort due to larger wheel size. So riding a long wheelie is something I just don't try. But I haven't found this to be an issue at all while riding on the trail. I have a 20" frame which is a little bit small for me and I added an additional 1" of stem to stretch this out. Even with this long stem, this bike is great for getting up steps. I've never had a bike that was so balanced that I could get either wheel off the ground at will with very little setup time required to lift the wheel.
    Can also coat the bb in white grease before installing it into the frame, this keeps dirt out and that helps keep it quiet. Mine has not been much problem at all even riding in really wet and sandy/muddy conditions. Did the grease trick to help keep it clean and corrosion free...makes adjustment easier too.

    BB5s are ok for a bike path (paved) but no good off-road. Replcaed mine with BB7s (aobut $35 per caliper nib on the bay) just re-use rotors, cables, etc. Got Juicy 3.5s on it now with G2 rotors and this is even better. Sell the BB5s before the pads get worn down! My seatpost has been ok until a crash when the two-piece deal at the top rotated in the post part of the seatpost. It now creaks sometimes but has stayed put after I grabbed the saddle and twisted it back. No, it was not the post twisting in the frame! I'll ride it until it gets loose enough that it won't stay put or the occasional creaking pisses me off. Any good set-back seatpost recommendos that are forged, not machined? Not a fan of Thompson products.
    Get off the couch and ride!

  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    138
    I wasn't aware that there was any major difference between the BB5 and BB7 brakes beyond some additional adjustments available in the BB7.

    I swapped in some big rotors on my Mary (203 front and 180 rear) and the BB5s are working fine.

  13. #213
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    563
    do the BB5s take a little while to break in and develop some bite?

    my first ride on the bike was downright scary, the brakes had no bite even when I was squeezing the brakes really hard.

    I dont remember any break in period on the XT hydros on my Giant
    The mountains are calling and I must go

  14. #214
    SSolo, on your left!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by bgredjeep
    I wasn't aware that there was any major difference between the BB5 and BB7 brakes beyond some additional adjustments available in the BB7.

    I swapped in some big rotors on my Mary (203 front and 180 rear) and the BB5s are working fine.
    BB7 has about twice the swept pad area. and inner/outer pad adjusters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55
    do the BB5s take a little while to break in and develop some bite?

    my first ride on the bike was downright scary, the brakes had no bite even when I was squeezing the brakes really hard.

    I dont remember any break in period on the XT hydros on my Giant
    Yes, they need to wear in. Might check adjustment too, but they are under powered imo for off-road.
    Get off the couch and ride!

  15. #215
    ?hipster?
    Reputation: Moementum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    127
    I've used the BB5's on all kinds of crazy descents, like any brake they need to be set up correctly. Some people actually like them better because of the one fixed pad. YMMV

  16. #216
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by crankin
    I'm lusting for Mary after reading this entire thread. I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 ginger or a 2010 black. The 2010 is about 300 bucks higher. Both are lightly used and bone stock. I know the 2010 has a different frame, and I noticed that no one posted about a 2010 at all. Is there something wrong with the 2010?

    Also, I've never ridden a 29er of anykind, including a single speed. I am currently on a Trek 8000 21". Am I a dummy for impulse buying a Mary 20" over the web based purely on reviews and widespread praise?

    Thanks!
    Do it, I did and no regrets... I changed my mind about running a single, and with the help of the forums and haro godess downhilljill, I ordered a RD hanger and now have a 9 speed (3x3 on the stock hub)...

    First built bike I've bought this millenium, it was worth it!

  17. #217
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1stiski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality



    and with woodchippers

    Was that crank ring and rear cog stock with the 2010? IF not, where did you score them?
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    132

    My Mary

    After many years waiting the local shops - or in my country- to bring some 29ers, I order my Mary on-line. This done a couple of months before. Other riders look at me like an alien; a bike without gears and front suspension -at least- can't be mountain bike!!!
    Never mind, I enjoy so much riding my bike so I don't care what they think.
    So, here is my Mary:





    Upgrade BB7


    Charge Spoon



  19. #219
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Quote Originally Posted by selin
    After many years waiting the local shops - or in my country- to bring some 29ers, I order my Mary on-line. This done a couple of months before. Other riders look at me like an alien; a bike without gears and front suspension -at least- can't be mountain bike!!!
    Never mind, I enjoy so much riding my bike so I don't care what they think.
    So, here is my Mary:


    Awesome bike and the country side wowzerz!!!
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  20. #220
    SSolo, on your left!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Awesome bike and the country side wowzerz!!!
    X2....................nice!
    Get off the couch and ride!

  21. #221
    mtbr member
    Reputation: downhilljill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,820
    Veloreality...LOVE what you've done with you Mary SS!!! Looks awesome. Love the dirt drops!

  22. #222
    O.T
    O.T is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by dbo43867
    I like my Mary so much I though it would be fun to start a strictly Mary SS/Mary XC forum. Here you can post your pictures, stories, comments, and questions on the Mary.
    I wonder how the Mary comes in the package when I ordered the whole bike (from Winstanleysbikes).For example: is the crankset already putted on the bike, or do I have to put it by myself?

    Question2: Do you need a longer chain if you change the freewheel from 20t to 16t or the front ring from 32t to 36t?

  23. #223
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by O.T
    I wonder how the Mary comes in the package when I ordered the whole bike (from Winstanleysbikes).For example: is the crankset already putted on the bike, or do I have to put it by myself?
    I had to assemble the bars, pedals, front caliper and rotor and the wheel of course; everything else was already put together.

  24. #224
    O.T
    O.T is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by selin
    I had to assemble the bars, pedals, front caliper and rotor and the wheel of course; everything else was already put together.
    Thank you for the info!
    Which tool did you need to put the rotor?

  25. #225
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    132
    25 torx.

  26. #226
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    34

    Mary in Mexico

    I have had her nearly a year down here in ol Mexico and she is the perfect bike for the cobblestone streets and dirt roads laden with holes.

    I cant say enough good things about this bike.

    Ive got a anodized gold mary bar on the way from england and a brooks saddle to add the finishing touch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-bike-haro-006.jpg  

    Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-bike-haro-007.jpg  

    Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-bike-haro.jpg  

    Last edited by bennym; 08-01-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: photo

  27. #227
    ?hipster?
    Reputation: Moementum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    127
    That trail appears a bit moist!

  28. #228
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rob.char's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    360
    ride rivers much haha
    Mary ss shenanigans

  29. #229
    O.T
    O.T is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    33
    Have to ask one more question. Which tool did you use when you changed the rear cog?

    P.S I got my Mary today! Looks nice with those big wheels, have to take pictures later today.

  30. #230
    mtbr member
    Reputation: killn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    17
    You have to use a lock ring removal wrench, and a chain whip.

    Or a big hammer and screw driver if ur wana be caveman about it

  31. #231
    O.T
    O.T is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by killn
    You have to use a lock ring removal wrench, and a chain whip.

    Or a big hammer and screw driver if ur wana be caveman about it
    This is too small for that lockring. Could you give me a model name?

    Is this the right tool?

  32. #232
    mtbr member
    Reputation: killn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by O.T
    This is too small for that lockring. Could you give me a model name?

    Is this the right tool?

    Yeah the second link you posted is the correct tool to remove the lock ring. You will also need one of these to keep the driver from spinning while you remove the lock ring.

    http://www.parktool.com/products/big...5729_81070.jpg

  33. #233
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1stiski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetchiba51
    shockfinder.....ride that thing on trails!! I used to have the same fears with my Mary, but when I overhauled my Nomad I rode it! The 29 inch wheels ride over anything, its sooooo fun! Try it, your skills will improve as well! I can ride any trail on my Mary, no problem!
    I'm in on this one too, This bike rocks on the single track, don't fear the technical, you'll smoke right through the tough stuff. I've become an anti-suspension fan. You would be amazed what a ridged can do.
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike

  34. #234
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kingbobyjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    97
    Love my Mary!!!

    It is 2007 that I bought used a few weeks ago. It has some upgrades with a few more on the way.


  35. #235
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1stiski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbobyjr
    Love my Mary!!!

    It is 2007 that I bought used a few weeks ago. It has some upgrades with a few more on the way.

    Love mine too, she's such a fine girl.
    Last edited by 1stiski; 09-10-2010 at 07:12 AM.
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike

  36. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    47
    my new baby



    have you guys noticed the chainring touching the chainstay? I haven't touched the cranks since I got it, so it's the way I got it, but I've noticed some oil on the chainstays where the chainring is. As it is there's maybe 2mm gap between the ring and frame, but I think when I'm pushing the gear the frame bends enough for the ring to touch the frame. Anyone else noticed this?

  37. #237
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by opnykanen
    my new baby



    have you guys noticed the chainring touching the chainstay? I haven't touched the cranks since I got it, so it's the way I got it, but I've noticed some oil on the chainstays where the chainring is. As it is there's maybe 2mm gap between the ring and frame, but I think when I'm pushing the gear the frame bends enough for the ring to touch the frame. Anyone else noticed this?
    I am using my Mary for Cyclocross and running a 36T up front. I moved the chainring to the outside of the spider and took the bashguard off. I don't think singlespeeds should have bashguards anyway. Doing this will probable require you to space the rear cog outwards as well. Do you have a spanner and chainwhip to take off the rear cog?

  38. #238
    mtbr member
    Reputation: backcountryeti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    599
    Just picked up a '08 Mary SS off of the local craigslist for cheap. And its only been ridden 3 times! Looks brand new! I wanted to buy one of these in '08, but couldn't find one and my shop at the time would not bring one in just for a test ride, so I ended up with a GF Rig. 2 years and 2 broken Rigs later, I now have a Mary! Sweet. If this bike lasts like my old Haro V3, then I will be more than happy! Great stuff!

  39. #239
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    18

    Mary size

    Hi Bikers,

    Thinking of buying a Haro Mary 2009 (found a great deal on them ;-).
    But I'm not sure which size to pick, the 16"or the 18".

    I'm 5.77 feet, and ride a titanium 29er with a 23.5 inch top tube and 16 inch seattube.
    The top tube says the 18" version and the seatube the 16" version...
    I think the 18" wont have enough stand over height...Or would I get toe overlap with smaller one..?

    Some advice would be great!

    Thanks!

    Regards Rolf

  40. #240
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2

    Smile Just got a Mary

    Hi guys, posting from the other side of the pond to most of you. Bought a new Mary a couple of weeks back pretty cheap. Not the current one but it looks ok to me in pale blue.
    Been riding 20yrs on hardtail and full suss and a lot of the lads I ride with use ss. Quite a few different makes from Niner, Singular, Dean, On One, Genisis and Kona.
    Anyway there are 2 Marys in the pack. Mine is standard with BB5, Mary bars, Nevegal tyres. I only weigh 145lbs so the brakes do the job fine, The thing that surprises me most is how well those big wheels roll and how well balanced it is on typically Brit techy singletrack. Surprised myself what I can get up on the stock gearing (32/20) but it does spin out a bit too easily on the flats.
    On the negative side it's a bit on the lardy side and the paint is easily damaged, but hey, what can I expect for £385. Can't even get a decent set of suss forks for that price!
    All in all a cracking Winter trail bike for our very wet forests.

  41. #241
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfo
    Hi Bikers,

    Thinking of buying a Haro Mary 2009 (found a great deal on them ;-).
    But I'm not sure which size to pick, the 16"or the 18".

    I'm 5.77 feet, and ride a titanium 29er with a 23.5 inch top tube and 16 inch seattube.
    The top tube says the 18" version and the seatube the 16" version...
    I think the 18" wont have enough stand over height...Or would I get toe overlap with smaller one..?

    Some advice would be great!

    Thanks!

    Regards Rolf
    Rolf,
    Got an 18" and am just under 6' with 30.5" inside leg. IMO the 18" is slightly too big for me but think a 16" would be too small. Sounds like you need a 16"

  42. #242
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Soooo wheres the Porn TM
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  43. #243
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    34
    Creaking clicking noise.......

    I have this problem. I put teflon tape all around and then grease then squeeze it back in which stops it completely.

    Also sometimes it can be from a little bit of sand or dirt in the cogs/chain. I ride in very muddy, sandy places and have this problem alot. I have to stop alot to wipe down the crank and rear cog.

  44. #244
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    34

    Update Mary in Mexico

    Made some changes and put on a Alfine Hub as I have alot of mountain races this year. I loved the SS but need more top end speed and a granny gear for very steep climbs. The brooks saddle complements Mary in Honey but I am not to sure about the anodized gold Mary bars! I also added a carbon fork instead of the white brothers suspension. So far I havent missed the suspension one bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-01102010083.jpg  


  45. #245
    mtbr member
    Reputation: downhilljill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfo
    Hi Bikers,

    Thinking of buying a Haro Mary 2009 (found a great deal on them ;-).
    But I'm not sure which size to pick, the 16"or the 18".

    I'm 5.77 feet, and ride a titanium 29er with a 23.5 inch top tube and 16 inch seattube.
    The top tube says the 18" version and the seatube the 16" version...
    I think the 18" wont have enough stand over height...Or would I get toe overlap with smaller one..?

    Some advice would be great!

    Thanks!

    Regards Rolf
    I'm 5'7" with a 31.5" inseam...I ride the 16" size.

  46. #246
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    18

    comment

    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    I'm 5'7" with a 31.5" inseam...I ride the 16" size.
    Thanks for your tips!

  47. #247
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kingbobyjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    97
    Rolfo...

    I am 5'8" with a 32" inseam and I ride a 16" Mary. Perfect fit for me...

  48. #248
    mtbr member
    Reputation: killn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    17
    Haro's wearhouse Mary 26er/electric/bmx bomber! So much fun haha

  49. #249
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1stiski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by killn
    Haro's wearhouse Mary 26er/electric/bmx bomber! So much fun haha
    That would be fun.
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike

  50. #250
    mtbr member
    Reputation: downhilljill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by killn
    Haro's wearhouse Mary 26er/electric/bmx bomber! So much fun haha
    LOL...I just saw that Frankenbike down there this morning! Hey...e-bikes are IN right now!

  51. #251
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rob.char's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    360
    Got my Mary today so stoked! '09 Army Green. Had my first ride no complaints except for the Mary Bars aside from some climbing I am not a fan. I plan on replacing the bars, and I have some BB7's and speed dial 7 levers at the house I'm swapping out along with a Salsa chainring and Surly cog this evening photos tomorrow.
    Mary ss shenanigans

  52. #252
    SSolo, on your left!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfo
    Hi Bikers,

    Thinking of buying a Haro Mary 2009 (found a great deal on them ;-).
    But I'm not sure which size to pick, the 16"or the 18".

    I'm 5.77 feet, and ride a titanium 29er with a 23.5 inch top tube and 16 inch seattube.
    The top tube says the 18" version and the seatube the 16" version...
    I think the 18" wont have enough stand over height...Or would I get toe overlap with smaller one..?

    Some advice would be great!

    Thanks!

    Regards Rolf
    Sounds like an 18" to me...I go with the TT measurement as long as there's not too much seatpost out and I think you'll be ok on 18.

    Quote Originally Posted by bennym
    Made some changes and put on a Alfine Hub as I have alot of mountain races this year. I loved the SS but need more top end speed and a granny gear for very steep climbs. The brooks saddle complements Mary in Honey but I am not to sure about the anodized gold Mary bars! I also added a carbon fork instead of the white brothers suspension. So far I havent missed the suspension one bit.
    Nice changes...but I'm not a fan of the gold bars. Black looks best imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by rob.char
    Got my Mary today so stoked! '09 Army Green. Had my first ride no complaints except for the Mary Bars aside from some climbing I am not a fan. I plan on replacing the bars, and I have some BB7's and speed dial 7 levers at the house I'm swapping out along with a Salsa chainring and Surly cog this evening photos tomorrow.
    Sweet, pics please! Took an afternoon break and went for a short ride in the rain...very refreshing!
    Get off the couch and ride!

  53. #253
    mtbr member
    Reputation: backcountryeti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    599
    Give the Mary bars a little more time, they will grow on you.

  54. #254
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by rob.char
    I plan on replacing the bars, and I have some BB7's and speed dial 7 levers at the house I'm swapping out along with a Salsa chainring and Surly cog this evening photos tomorrow.
    Yea, I am using the BB7s and speed dial levers too. Its a great setup. I went w/ Richey rizer bars and they have been really good also.
    GapRider MTB
    aka Chuck Faulkner
    Tazewell TN 37879

    http://www.jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org

  55. #255
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rob.char's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    360
    Here's Army Green Mary, Kore Bars (does Kore still exist? haha) XT clips, Surly 20t rear cog, Salsa 32t front ring, BB7, Avid SD7 Levers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-1222001509.jpg  

    Last edited by rob.char; 01-06-2011 at 08:24 AM.
    Mary ss shenanigans

  56. #256
    O.T
    O.T is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    33
    Which is the diameter of the handlebar that will fit the original Ritchey Pro stem? Which one of these would be the best?

  57. #257
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rob.char's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    360
    I believe they are 25.4 not 31.8.
    Mary ss shenanigans

  58. #258
    O.T
    O.T is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by rob.char
    I believe they are 25.4 not 31.8.
    That's what I thought...

  59. #259
    SSolo, on your left!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by rob.char
    Here's Army Green Mary, Kore Bars (does Kore still exist? haha) XT clips, Surly 20t rear cog, Salsa 32t front ring, BB7, Avid SD7 Levers.
    Nice pics, makes me want to put the rigid back on mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by rob.char
    I believe they are 25.4 not 31.8.
    That is correct, original stem and Mary bar clamp area is 25.4.
    Get off the couch and ride!

  60. #260
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    73
    Haven't posted my Mary for a long time. Here's a pic in snowy conditions.


  61. #261
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watkinscapital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    127
    looking good!

  62. #262
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    15

    Mary Top Tube

    Can anyone tell me what the effective top tube is on a 18 inch Mary please? I've tried the Haro site but they don't appear to have any archived info.
    Thanks

  63. #263
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    132
    The geometry is the same with the latest Mary. ETT is 600mm(23.6") for the 18".

  64. #264
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rob.char's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    360
    I had to post again since my original photo was not the greatest. Installed: xt clips, kore bars, salsa chainring, surly cog, and bb7s. I need to get some extra cash and get rid of the ugly seatpost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-img_1247_resize.jpg  

    Mary ss shenanigans

  65. #265
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Awesome pic bro

    Nothing wrong with the SP here but if you feel the need to replace its all your eyes.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  66. #266
    ?hipster?
    Reputation: Moementum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    127
    Mary SS >>>> Mary 2x9 w/bashguard and Niner Reynolds steel fork. The Niner fork is very precise, predictable, quicker handling, Great in tight single track, really happy with it. It weighs the same as the oem fork. Makes a great frame even better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-p1020079.jpg  

    Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-p1020083.jpg  

    Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-p1020088.jpg  


  67. #267
    SSolo, on your left!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Moementum
    Mary SS >>>> Mary 2x9 w/bashguard and Niner Reynolds steel fork. The Niner fork is very precise, predictable, quicker handling, Great in tight single track, really happy with it. It weighs the same as the oem fork. Makes a great frame even better.
    Quicker handling? What's the A to C measurement on it vs the stocker? Shorter than stock I'd guess if its quicker handling. How's it ride compared to stock, cushier, harsher, or same?
    Get off the couch and ride!

  68. #268
    ?hipster?
    Reputation: Moementum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    127
    Stock fork 473 A-C, 43 mm rake.

    Niner fork 470 A-C, 45 mm rake. This lowers the front end a bit and steepens the head angle a fraction.

    A few more differences. The dropout/leg junction on the Niner is a bit stouter than the stock. The dropouts are thicker and forward facing. I always thought that was a bit thin in that area. Also the leg tube shaping is much different.

    I haven't noticed much difference in cushioning. But there is a definite change in cornering. Someone who doesn't ride agressively in tight corners might not notice it however.
    Last edited by Moementum; 04-06-2011 at 09:26 AM.

  69. #269
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7

    Only 4 rides on mine...

    and I really like it. And I'm thinking about putting Mary bars on my other bike (if they'd still work with an inch cut off each side.

    '09 Army Green, all stock except for Thomson seatpost and green King headset.

  70. #270
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1stiski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    270

    Wtf ??

    What is it with this bike.. I've got a 2010 Mary SS, this little gal is addicting. I can't believe how much I've fallen for her,, Its been a good solid year of spinning on her, and let me tell you., you can rip up some ground with this gal.. I love the thoughtless way you just have to climb aboard and pedal,, you learn how to utilize your full pedaling stroke, up , down ,sideways, whatever works,, but the payoff is power, and quick acceleration. OMG, Im so sold on the SS train of thought. I only ask myself, Why did I wait so long. I have to thank my riding buddy "Flats" for coaxing my into this love affair. SO worth the work. Thank you HARO for making the Mary SS, but I'm also alittle sad to see her dropped from your line.
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike

  71. #271
    SSolo, on your left!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Moementum
    Stock fork 473 A-C, 43 mm rake.

    Niner fork 470 A-C, 45 mm rake. This lowers the front end a bit and steepens the head angle a fraction.

    A few more differences. The dropout/leg junction on the Niner is a bit stouter than the stock. The dropouts are thicker and forward facing. I always thought that was a bit thin in that area. Also the leg tube shaping is much different.

    I haven't noticed much difference in cushioning. But there is a definite change in cornering. Someone who doesn't ride agressively in tight corners might not notice it however.
    Thanks!
    Get off the couch and ride!

  72. #272
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    25
    i was under the impression that the stock fork was a 38 rake. anyways, i recently put a P2 fork on mine (the stock fork was fabbed crooked, which led to all sorts of fun issues). longer rake, lower crown height- i immediately noticed i could keep the front end down- where i want it- when climbing. not sure if there's any noticeable difference in ride quality otherwise. seems to steer a little quicker, but that might be psychosomatic too. but the old tendency for the front end to lift is definitely lessened.

  73. #273
    ridin' Mary
    Reputation: OhNooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    347
    You aren't the only one with a crooked Mary fork. I had to use a washer between the fork and the hub to get the disc brake tabs moved out so that a rotor wouldn't rub on the brake caliper.

    Replaced it with a used White Bros Rock Solid, and I love this new fork. It is so much more responsive and I can bomb hills much faster than the stock fork. A huge confidence booster! And no more stupid washers to accomodate a fork defect.

  74. #274
    SSolo, on your left!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by OhNooo
    You aren't the only one with a crooked Mary fork. I had to use a washer between the fork and the hub to get the disc brake tabs moved out so that a rotor wouldn't rub on the brake caliper.

    Replaced it with a used White Bros Rock Solid, and I love this new fork. It is so much more responsive and I can bomb hills much faster than the stock fork. A huge confidence booster! And no more stupid washers to accomodate a fork defect.
    hmmmm...my stock fork didn't ride weird or look crooked, but I had to put one washer under each brake caliper adapter to keep the ends of the screws from pinging against the side of the brake rotor during hard turns and such....

    Quote Originally Posted by loose chain
    i was under the impression that the stock fork was a 38 rake. anyways, i recently put a P2 fork on mine (the stock fork was fabbed crooked, which led to all sorts of fun issues). longer rake, lower crown height- i immediately noticed i could keep the front end down- where i want it- when climbing. not sure if there's any noticeable difference in ride quality otherwise. seems to steer a little quicker, but that might be psychosomatic too. but the old tendency for the front end to lift is definitely lessened.
    Pic of bike with new fork? Pic of crooked stock fork?
    Get off the couch and ride!

  75. #275
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    25
    yeah, i haven't bothered to find out exactly what the problem is- whether it was the legs themselves or just the dropouts. didn't have rotor rub, but the top of the tire was offset by a good 3-4mm all the time, and when i'd get in the front brake pretty hard, it would yank the wheel out of the non-DS dropout a little bit.

    i had the slightest inclination to replace it with suspension, but luckily somebody offered up a takeoff P2 for cheap. has more rake (either 4 or 9 mm, depending on what the reality of the stock fork is), and 7mm less A-C height. altogether that got enough weight over the front end that i'm happy again.

  76. #276
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    25
    if i can remember to take a pic, i'll post it. honestly, though, other than saying "P2" on it, there's little perceptible difference. well, i guess it doesn't look quite as beefy.

    and i doubt a picture of the old one would be of much help. but i'll take a picture of it with the tire in so you can see the offset i'm talking about.

  77. #277
    O.T
    O.T is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    33


    "Cyclocross"

  78. #278
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by loose chain View Post
    yeah, i haven't bothered to find out exactly what the problem is- whether it was the legs themselves or just the dropouts. didn't have rotor rub, but the top of the tire was offset by a good 3-4mm all the time, and when i'd get in the front brake pretty hard, it would yank the wheel out of the non-DS dropout a little bit.

    i had the slightest inclination to replace it with suspension, but luckily somebody offered up a takeoff P2 for cheap. has more rake (either 4 or 9 mm, depending on what the reality of the stock fork is), and 7mm less A-C height. altogether that got enough weight over the front end that i'm happy again.
    finally got around to looking at this- one fork leg was a full 1/8th inch shorter than the other. the dropouts were perfectly in phase otherwise, but the legs were definitely different lengths. which explains everything above. ended up donating the fork to yellowbike- with full disclosure of the problem.

  79. #279
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7
    Couldn't help but bring back this thread. Just picked up this 2007 a few hours ago with 0 miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-imag0575.jpg  


  80. #280
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rob.char's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    360
    Nice, what tires are on there? Mine came with Nevegals.
    Mary ss shenanigans

  81. #281
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by rob.char View Post
    Nice, what tires are on there? Mine came with Nevegals.
    Thanks. This came with WTB ExiWolf 2.3

  82. #282
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,333
    Here's mine, changed bar and stem to ibis, deore hydro's. I love this bike, mostly golden gate park and china camp but will try annadel and Boggs soon

    Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349154581.748707.jpgHaro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349154605.417220.jpgHaro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349154634.307406.jpg
    Last edited by sfgiantsfan; 10-08-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  83. #283
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,418
    Soo no riding this weekend eyy
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  84. #284
    oge
    oge is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3
    Anybody happen to know the max rear tire width for the 08/09 Mary SS using the stock wheels?

  85. #285
    bhc
    bhc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    442
    It is approximately 2.5" I have a WTB Weirwolf in mine with Velocity p-35 rims which are wider than the stock wheel set.

  86. #286
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    519
    Sweet, I was going to ask the same question about rear tire width. I have plans to get a 2.4 ardent and run it in the back as well as the front which is set up currently and have a poor mans fat bike this winter. I am running the Ardent on a flow at 20PSI and it rides really well. A few PSI lower than 20 and I start getting rim strikes. I am at 175 pounds.

    I just read through the entire thread and I didn't see any info or pictures of people putting a carbon Niner fork on this bike. Anyone tried this or have anything to say? Is it blasphemy to put a carbon fork on a steel bike?

    I bought mine used and so far have it set up with a flow/hope front wheel after I tacoed the stock wheel. A WTB rocket v saddle (salsa branded with a chilli logo on the nose), a salsa pro-moto alloy bar, kona stem, Zeus Carbon seat post, Green Salsa skewers (really nice bling to the bike), Black ESI chunkies, BB7's with SD7 levers and 185's front and back, F-Ardent/R-Slant 6 2.2, and SPD 520's.

    Future plans for it are...
    Black Niner Carbon Fork (shoulda jumped on the jenson $200 sale)
    Rear flow/hope wheel w/ Ardent 2.4
    Nicer 18T cog

  87. #287
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    132
    ^^^
    Where are the pictures?....

  88. #288
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    519
    I haven't taken pictures of it in quite a while and have none to reflect what it currently looks like

  89. #289
    EXORCIZE
    Reputation: Ryder1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    I just read through the entire thread and I didn't see any info or pictures of people putting a carbon Niner fork on this bike. Anyone tried this or have anything to say? Is it blasphemy to put a carbon fork on a steel bike?
    Niner carbon fork should work great. I like mine (on my Kona Unit) more than I liked the '07 Mary fork. Geometry isn't an issue and its lighter and rides better IMO. An all-steel frameset is a classic/romantic ideal, but the Niner fork is tough to beat. I chose Niner's "nude" color so it wouldn't look too out of place on any frame.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail
    2011 Kona Unit

  90. #290
    ridin' Mary
    Reputation: OhNooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    347
    I bought a used White Brothers carbon fork for my '08 Mary. It worked great for about 6 months until I noticed what looked to be a stress crack in the clear coat of this carbon fork about halfway up the leg that has the disc brake mount. I realized that I might be playing with fire. So I replaced it with a Salsa fork. The Salsa fork was a full pound lighter than the stock Mary fork (which was a truly awful beast) and behaves just like the White Brothers carbon fork I took off. I'll stick with steel forks.

  91. #291
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15
    I have a 2009 SS model and have heard / read of a conversion to a geared Mary simply by swapping the drop out... Masses of changes, will pop pics on when I see the thread is not dead.....

    The single spread has a flush drop out, I presume this is simply swapped for a drop out which has a mount for the rear mech. Then just run cables through full length outers and attach using zip ties..

    All the dropout manufactures I've been to don't make a drop out anywhere near comparable!

    Can anyone post a link to a supplier of the dropouts please?

  92. #292
    bhc
    bhc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    442
    I got mine from the Haro dealer.

  93. #293
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15
    BHC, thanks for responding...

    I'm in the UK, I was speaking with the UK supplier today and they don't supply the part... They suggested a US or Australian specialist provider maybe able to help.

    Do you have an email for your supplier please? Even better if you had a link to the part or component number etc....

  94. #294
    bhc
    bhc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    442
    Look at this old thread

    Haro Mary SS - conversion

    After my reply might help you

  95. #295
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15
    Bhc - thanks for that..

    Your links led me to being able to talk my LBS into ordering one in for me to try before I buy... 1/10 Mary here I come.....

  96. #296
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    12
    In my quest to build a SS 29er; I was able to find this brand new 2007 Haro Mary XC frame/fork in a friends basement. Built it up with the most reasonable components I could find for the price.

    Stans NoTubes Arch wheels with HD hubs (used)
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph's 2.4
    Raceface Evolve crankset
    Raceface Ride seatpost
    Charge Spoon saddle
    Sunline V1 bars (owned)
    Oury Brown grips
    Easton EA50 stem (owned)
    Hayes Stroker Trail brakes
    Ashima airotors
    32x18 gearing
    Manitou Tower Pro en route
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-harymaryxcss.jpg  

    Last edited by blb228; 12-27-2012 at 02:35 PM.

  97. #297
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15
    I just love my Mary, I ride it to work every day, 20km off road across Salisbury Plain each way....

    Resprayed powder coat, elixir brakes, Roval control wheelset, schwalbe tyres, carbon 600mm bars (big mistake, Easton monkeys on order). Brings this in under 26 pounds..

    Original stem, post, saddle and cranks....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-image.jpg  


  98. #298
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by blb228 View Post
    I was able to find this brand new 2007 Haro Mary XC frame/fork in a friends basement.
    I wish I had a friend with a basement full of goodies....

    Nice looking bike...

  99. #299
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrjustin007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    296
    Looking for an geared XL Mary frame & fork - PM me if you got one you don't need anymore.
    WTB: Bontrager Comp Fork & Syncros metal top cap

  100. #300
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,333

    Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread

    Here's another one of mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haro Mary Pictures/Info/Comments Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364256576.305596.jpg  

    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •