Jumper

Haro LT Build up?

I currently own an '06 Haro Shift with:
    -130mm RS Revelation Dual Air
    -RS Monarch 4.2 rear shock
    -Mavic Crosstrail wheels
    -Avid Elixir CR brakes
    -Stylor Cranks

I have been racing my shift but it just seems somewhat heavy and a bit tough to climb compared with the other bikes. I like the 130mm fork given that I ride pretty hard (trail and XC). I am looking at building an LT due to the fact that it can take the 130mm fork where as the newer Sonix cannot. My question is, would it really be worth the money given all the upgrades my Shift already has. I.E. would I really feel a difference in my ride? If so, what should I expect.

Thanks
    Last edited by jumper780; 02-25-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Jumper
    I'm also wondering what recommended frame size I need. I am 5'5 and been using the 16in Shift just fine but the link I found recommends the small frame all the way up to 5'8.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The medium frame should fit you fine. I am 5'9, and the medium, 16 in, is too small. To be sure, try to find a local shop to test ride each frame size, or at least the medium.

You should see some advantage by switchign frames from Shift to Sonix, especially if you are cross country racing. The trouble is, new frames like new parts, or rather, we all like new stuff. It can get pricey uprading, but if you stick to a new frame, and your old parts, it should be worth the price, and work.

I'm switching to a large Xeon. If your in North TX, I'm selling my Sonix Werx, 16 in, w/ Manitou S Type. Would sell Frame and shock alone if price is right.

Jumper
    Thanks for the offer and info keith but I am looking at the LT version due to the fact that I want to still use my 130mm RS Rev Dual Air. The LT is the only version made for that kind of travel.

mtbr member
    Both the Shift and the Sonix frames ride awesome. The biggest difference you'll notice s the Sonix frame is going to climb much more efficiently.

To answer your question about whether your parts are compatible with a Sonix LT, most all will be compatible except for the rear shock and the headset. You will also need a 73mm bottom bracket for the Sonix.

If it's weight savings you are looking for, I don't know that you would gain an advantage with the Sonix LT; I'd say the frames are about equal in weight. I'd have to weigh them both to find out for you.

Sizing...if you are 5'5" tall, I'd recommend the 16" size frame for you.

Jumper
    Thanks for the info Jill. I have the frame enroute and should be built within a week. I will post pics of the LT build when it's done.

Jumper
    Well, my LT frame came in today. What a beauty. I had to sit for a few minutes and admire it. Problem is, Fedex screwed up my parts shipment (monkeylight bars, raceface BB 73mm, Blackspire chainrings, and ergon GP1s) and its stuck at the warehouse about an hour away. Oh well, I should have the rest of my parts tomorrow. In the meantime, HARO who the hell is this! I haven't seen her in any of your catalogs; maybe a new employee??
    Last edited by jumper780; 02-25-2010 at 04:38 AM.

Jumper
    Okay, picked up my Sonix LT from my LBS after the transfer of my components from the Shift to the Sonix. What a beauty. I went ahead and replaced the MC3 with a Monarch 4.2. Geometry feels weird. Rear is really plush but I see and feel pedal bob while seated but as soon as I stand up and crank I dont really see or feel any pedal bob? Yes, I have the shock at 10mm. I even have my rebound set to 50%. I will take her on the trail for the 1st time tomorrow.The Shift felt stiffer on the rear but didn't feel as nimble or plush. Too tired right now, I will post pics tomorrow.
    Oh, I'm selling the MC3 shock. It's brand new and never used. PM me if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi, I'm very interested in how bike behavior in seated, stand up postion, on flat ground and up hill. Mainly how is he cope with pedal bob. Say if you use any SPV or any other patent in rear damper.
    Sorry for my english ;P

Jumper
    Okay, here she is. She is still a virgin but that will change later today

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    nice...

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by xenex
    nice...

I'll 2nd that........
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Jumper
    Okay, took her out to Dana Peak and here is my first impression of her.

-The rear end is A+. She is very plush and climbs like a goat. The rear feels a bit mushy compared to the Shift on the climb, but when I was climbing on the Shift, the rear would slip out from under me sometimes. The LT seems like it has tank tracks on the climbs and sticks like a john to a hooker
    -With all the upgrades on her, she is weighing in at 27lbs! Hell that's lighter than a Blurlt2!

-Rear chatter is almost non existent, but to be fair, it may be due to my RS Monarch.

-Okay, the front end was raked out with my 130mm Revelation. I believe this frame is meant for a 120mm and not a 130mm. That's ok. That's why I bought the RS Rev dual air; you can adjust to just about anything you want; its such an adaptable fork. I went ahead and upped the negative pressure 2lbs above the positive and wow, what a difference. I was turning sharp but not quit carving turns yet. Tomorrow, I will up the negative to 4lbs above positive and I think that will do it. I left the positive pressure the same that way she ramps up real quick.
    Great bike Haro! I don't know why you quit making the trail version (Jill) but I guess you have you reasons. My ride time and avg speed has increased dramatically.
    My advice to people looking at scooping up an LT is to use a 120mm fork or use a dual air if your going to use anything above 120 so that you can adjust the front end.

ride hard take risks
    Awesome ride report!!!! keep the updates coming
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper780
    Okay, picked up my Sonix LT from my LBS after the transfer of my components from the Shift to the Sonix. What a beauty. I went ahead and replaced the MC3 with a Monarch 4.2. Geometry feels weird. Rear is really plush but I see and feel pedal bob while seated but as soon as I stand up and crank I dont really see or feel any pedal bob? Yes, I have the shock at 10mm. I even have my rebound set to 50%. I will take her on the trail for the 1st time tomorrow.The Shift felt stiffer on the rear but didn't feel as nimble or plush. Too tired right now, I will post pics tomorrow.
    Oh, I'm selling the MC3 shock. It's brand new and never used. PM me if anyone is interested.

Did you get up the sag with the gate setting on the Monarch set to "open"? That might be why you are feeling some mushiness despite having the right amount of sag.

Glad to hear you are loving your Sonix LT!